• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair loss

Julie Scott

Hi guys...

Ive noticed that my hair is falling out terrible to the point of people saying how thin my hair is looking... I have long hair... and with long hair u tend to notice it coming out more. I have arranged an appointment with my doctor to see if my thyroid is acting up but just wondering if its to do with the band surgery? Im taking vitamins and minerals everyday too but dont know if i should be worried. Heard a friend is taking Biotin for their hair loss..shes had a sleeve done... does this tablet work? Can i take it with my thyroid med?

Any advice?

Thanx in anticipation.

Julie

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @Julie Scott

Hair loss can happen during a period of rapid weight loss so it could be related to your band but if you're taking a good vitamin supplement then its definitely worth getting your bloods checked. Especially before buying any expensive supplements xx

Mine fell out three or four months after bypass, it's lack of protein so I was told. I am now 2 1/2 years out and no problems, my hair grew back and thicker than before. Just keep an eye on the amount of protein you are getting per day. I have the recommended 60 grams.

SAM55

I was also told hair loss could occur through lack of protein. Fortunately I didn’t lose any but it was in very poor condition a month after surgery. I started using Alpecin caffeine shampoo as I had read somewhere it helped with hair loss and it was soon in great condition. I also eat lots of protein. You might want to consider going for a shorter style for now?

Julie Scott

Hi Guys

Thanx for the info... it might be protein... after i had the second fill i couldn't properly for nearly two weeks.. and if im honest i dont think im eating enough protein. Might be a silly question ... but havent been told this.... what sort of calorie intake should i be following... protein, carbs etc... too.. Ive just been trying to stick to a slimming world type diet... with the odd treat.... I tell my dietitian what im eating and they seem fine with it but id rather have a calorie/protein/carb diet i can stick too... I seem to lose with the initial fill then go stagnant... what am i doing wrong?

Thanx in anticipation.

Julie xx

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
You need to ask your team this @Julie Scott, after all its part of what you paid for going private. They should of at least given you some written post op eating guidance and be offering you some dietician support. If they aren't, shout up and make sure your getting your monies worth!

Please bear in mind also that everyone who replied has had either a sleeve or bypass and things are very different. I've had a band and now have a sleeve and with my band the advice was to have a palm size portion of protein for each meal, then almost fill the rest of your side size plate with mostly veg, leaving a small place for carbs. Eat the protein first, then the veg and then and only if still hungry, eat the carbs. For a sleeve, its the inside only of a side plate, approx half filled with protein, with the other half being mostly veg and only the tiniest of carbs. Both ways and with both ops, I couldn't finish the veg, let alone the carbs.

Slimming World, from what I remember can be very carb heavy and not ideal for bariatric patients, as no matter what combination of protein/veg/carbs you eat, the portions won't be the right size either.

x.Nicky.x

I am having the same issues n also have a band. I have my second fill tuesday so going to mention it then.

Seriously the amount of hair i am losing, i am guna be bald soon.

I used to have alopesha when i was young (cant spell it) but i am terrified of losing hair :(

I will let you know what my surgeon says xxxx

I make sure I have my 60grams of protein, eat my veg then the carbs. I have trouble with some carbs. getting stuck, particularly rice. Lentils and beans are a favourite of mine as they have a good protein content. I also have an iron tablet, calcium tablet twice a day and a multivitamin with mineral tablet (was told it must be Centrum). I also take two Senna per day, which helps with being regular. I feel pretty good, so I must be doing something right. I have lost a total of 66kg and want to lose another 30, it's coming off rather slowly now, but I am OK with that.

TiaLi

I've also lost a lot of hair. Mine was super thick to begin with luckily, so to people who meet me for the first time it probably just looks normal - but for me the difference is drastic. The hair loss is not so bad anymore though (I'm 8 months out now) so hopefully it will slowly but surely get back to MY normal with time.