• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has anyone experienced this?

Craftyfox

I'm worried about this, so can anyone help me please?
I drank everything for three and a half weeks after my operation without a problem.
Suddenly now I can't get anything to go down, even water takes about two hours to drink half a glass, milk or that Fortimel just causes me bad pain in the chest after a couple of mouthfuls and then I can't drink anything for hours after..
I am seeing my GP on Monday but I thought I would ask you all if anyone else has had this and what caused it.

Hope you can help, Crafty. :cry:

Crafty if you cannot drink call your surgeon as you will become dehydrated

yes crafty you need to speak to surgeon just to put your mind at rest and check all is okay...hope you are soon feeling betterx

take care and let us know what he says 2moro...try and keep yourself chilled you could be holding yourself tense which wont help...nice relaxing day for you mateyxxx

I hope you get this sorted, it sounds to me like you need to see someone sooner than later, if the situation does not improve, take yourself to AandE and get it checked. You can cope without food but not without fluids...

Poor Foxy hope you get it sorted soon nothing worse than feeling crap and then worrying about it

Yes thank you for your concern ladies, I'm going to phone Dr Hartlands at the Walsall Manor, he gave me his extension no. when he saw me, don't know how to get to see the actual surgeon, Mr Khan though, but Dr Hartlands is one of the team so he will advise I'm sure.
I've also got an appointment to see my GP tomorrow at 4.30pm so I'll ask him what he thinks, although I'm his first Gastric Bypass patient so he doesn't know much about it, but I can ask him to check me for dehydration as it will have been 5 days by then.
I'll keep you informed.:sigh:

Hope all goes OK
Have you tried warm water as its sometimes a bit easier to drink than cold. and small sips
I have no idea what I am talking about but know that when I am stressed or rushing I cant drink big mouthfils or cold drinks.

Have you thought of phoning NHS direct they are pretty good and usually have all the answers
make a note for teh next few hours exactly what you drink and how much of it - might be that you just think you are drinking not much when infact its plenty - if you know what i mean
helen
x

Hope all goes OK
Have you tried warm water as its sometimes a bit easier to drink than cold. and small sips
I have no idea what I am talking about but know that when I am stressed or rushing I cant drink big mouthfils or cold drinks.

Have you thought of phoning NHS direct they are pretty good and usually have all the answers
make a note for teh next few hours exactly what you drink and how much of it - might be that you just think you are drinking not much when infact its plenty - if you know what i mean
helen
x

Thank you Helen,
I will try what you suggest and I'll try NHS direct tomorrow,
Thank's again, makes sense.
John :)

Crafty - I had somethign very simular, though yours sounds more drastic than mine, on the 2 weeks post op liquids i was drinking water in pints, then when i started sloppy stage i couldn't drink cold fluids or really hot, if i had tea of coffee i had to let it cool so it was just tepid, and cold drinks took ages to get down, it did slowly get better, but even now i have trouble drinking fluid fast ! i think to a degree its the way we've been re plumbed inside and you learn to adapt to it.

I'd call and get the advice from your Dr though just to be safe !

How are you feeling now Crafty? Have you managed to get any fluids in today?

Hiya,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing this!! Weren't you given an emergency number to call or even the dept you were discharged from at the hospital? I would call this urgent, especially if it has been going on more than a day!!!!

Take carexx

agreed claire to me its urgent, its one of the things on a list of things that i was given as examples for calling the emergency number.

Hope your ok crafty

HI
Hope you are feeling better today

I have just noticed your weight loss is all this since the bypass ?
You are doing Fantastic.

mine? yes all the ticker is since bypass, and i am much better was out most of yesterday and will be again today. 25lb in 5 weeks isnt bad is it :)

Hi
I meant Crafty but you are doing really well too xxxx

How are you feeling now Crafty? Have you managed to get any fluids in today?

Not yet Sam, I had 3/4 of a yoghurt this morning, started it at 6.20am and had to stop at 8.00am because it was giving me the "I've swallowed a golf ball" feeling.
It's taking a long time to go down so I can't take anything else in yet, but as soon as I feel able I'll have a glass of warm water.
I'm going to stop taking dairy products for a few days because I seem to have more trouble with them than anything.
Yesterday Helen suggested warming my drinks and I did, I drank a cup of warm water in 15min which is good, believe me and later I had a tomato cup a soup, so if I hadn't been stupid and had that yoghurt this morning I would probably be in to my 3rd glass of water by now.
Anyway it's a learning process, I knew this when I went in to it.
Otherwise I feel fine thank you. :booboo:

Crafty - I had somethign very simular, though yours sounds more drastic than mine, on the 2 weeks post op liquids i was drinking water in pints, then when i started sloppy stage i couldn't drink cold fluids or really hot, if i had tea of coffee i had to let it cool so it was just tepid, and cold drinks took ages to get down, it did slowly get better, but even now i have trouble drinking fluid fast ! i think to a degree its the way we've been re plumbed inside and you learn to adapt to it.

I'd call and get the advice from your Dr though just to be safe !

Silversurfer, thank you, Helen has suggested something similar and yesterday I tried warm water and it went down much easier, so did a cup a soup.
Thanks again.:sick0019:

Hiya,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing this!! Weren't you given an emergency number to call or even the dept you were discharged from at the hospital? I would call this urgent, especially if it has been going on more than a day!!!!

Take carexx

Hi EP, I wasn't given an emergency number or anything to tell me how to get back to the hospital if there are problems, I assume I would go to A & E, but sitting there for hours doesn't appeal to me.

Now I'm drinking warm water and others have experienced similar problems and someone on another site has explained to me that he had exactly the same difficulties as me and he was told his insides have had major surgery and will be swollen for several weeks and if he does anything to aggravate them he will suffer until the swelling goes down.
So I'm seeing my GP this afternoon and see what he says, before rushing to the hospital, because I don't feel ill at all.:cool:

Back