• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

has anyone had a conversion from band to bypass?

manda30

Hi, I've had my band for around 2 years, and I seem to be having more and more issues, has anyone on here had a conversion to bypass? I have an appointment next week at Sunderland and I think I'm going to ask for this? However I'm terrified I'll be told no, I'm quite shy and don't like to ask for things, 2 weeks ago I had some saline removed from my band to see if that helped, now I've gone from constant vomiting to feeling hungry very quickly, and having larger portions, and some days the reflux is unreal, my head is up my back side, I want this band out. Any information will be very appreciated xx

I've had band to sleeve to bypass....or "sleeve-pass" as I call it. I had it at the end of May and feel fantastic. I wish I had just gone band to bypass rather than bothering with the sleeve. Good luck! X

Tick for me as well. Had my band 10 months, but has decided after 4 months that it was coming out, just had a long holiday, then too much 'am I doing the right thing' time.

Research your upgrade well, and in my case be careful what you wish for seems to be the motto. I am now a size 6 in some things and haven't eaten proper food for 15 weeks.

Life is such a joy :cry:

I just can't go on like this, I'm almost the same weight as I was when it was put in 2 years ago, I lost but then gained and I've had an over tight band :'(

You poor, poor thing! I have a friend going through something similar; her bad was so tight at one stage that she could have died! Now she vomits after each meal but she will not have removed. She had her surgery privately and now can't afford any further treatments. She doesn't want to gain the weight either. Its just awful.

I really hope you get your conversion. Good luck! xx

I hope your friend gets it sorted, my friend had hers private, but still has been refered to have it removed on nhs, just want this out, its driving me crazy now

I had all my surgeries private. NHS wouldn't help me but I'm in Scotland so the criteria may differ. Hope you get it sorted xx

im on the waiting list for a bypass at moment to convert from band my band has slipped I had constant heartburn/reflux a lot of regurgation , my band has had to be emptied iv gained weight and also due to a massive gain from some meds im now more 20kgs more than I was at original banding:( if there is a malfunction of your band it puts you in a great position for revision surgery good luck I hope things go your way

I had band to bypass in sunderland royal this may. i too had problems with my band. i find the bypass fantastic and wish i had had it done from the off as i too lost weight with the band but after having my band deflated gained weight. all you can do is put your point accross they will then have to have a conference to decide if its viable . i have lost two and a half stone since my bypass and can enjoy eating again small amounts of good quality nutritious food and feel fantastic

How long did it take them to agree to convert it? What's the process they go through, I feel like such a failure, I had 1ml taken out a cpl weeks ago but the reflux is worse :'(

I had all my surgeries private. NHS wouldn't help me but I'm in Scotland so the criteria may differ. Hope you get it sorted xx

Sashie, I'm new here so can't private message as yet but I had a band fitted by Dr Tulloh in Edinburgh and thinking of going back for revision to rny. Could you pm me what this costed, if possible. Trying to do as much research before paying out for another surgery. So need this to work. Many thanks xx

I had a band in 2009 and a bypass 8 wks ago. I can honestly say the bypass is a breeze in comparison! At least I can eat healthy food. And no more reflux!!!!

Sashie, I'm new here so can't private message as yet but I had a band fitted by Dr Tulloh in Edinburgh and thinking of going back for revision to rny. Could you pm me what this costed, if possible. Trying to do as much research before paying out for another surgery. So need this to work. Many thanks xx

Hiya I can't send you a private message for some reason. I am happy to tell you the costs on here if you are happy for me to do so. X

Hiya I can't send you a private message for some reason. I am happy to tell you the costs on here if you are happy for me to do so. X

Oh more than happy to do so. Desperate to know the costs. Think as I'm new on here I don't get private messages yet. Thank you xxxx

Oh more than happy to do so. Desperate to know the costs. Think as I'm new on here I don't get private messages yet. Thank you xxxx

Well I had my band done at The Nuffield in Glasgow. Spire converted it to a sleeve at a cost of £11000 ( the bypass would have been £1000 more) They converted my sleeve to a bypass for nothing as it was all done within the same year. If Mr Tulloh did your band, you may get your bypass cheaper than I was quoted. Your best bet would be to go and see him. He will tell you straight away how much it will cost you. Good luck xx

Hi, I've had my band for around 2 years, and I seem to be having more and more issues, has anyone on here had a conversion to bypass? I have an appointment next week at Sunderland and I think I'm going to ask for this? However I'm terrified I'll be told no, I'm quite shy and don't like to ask for things, 2 weeks ago I had some saline removed from my band to see if that helped, now I've gone from constant vomiting to feeling hungry very quickly, and having larger portions, and some days the reflux is unreal, my head is up my back side, I want this band out. Any information will be very appreciated xx

I really feel for you. I hope you are offered a barium swallow as it sounds like you have either no restriction or are being strangled by it. No in between which is what you need with the band.

I'm having a revision in January. Band to bypass. I'm another long term bander with 2 years of band success then 8 years of nothing but problems including an undiagnosed slip then an incorrect re position. I'm going to burn the bloody thing once it's removed!!!

I'm of course nervous about the bypass as it's the unknown. I hope though I'm a good candidate for success as lived with restriction, daily vomiting horrendous reflux and managed to avoid too many dumping episodes!!

I wish I'd had the balls to bypass from the get go. I really wish I'd had bigger balls to insist there were problems each time. Instead if being fobbed off and suffering thinking it was normal.

At your appointment just be straight forward with your band experience and open about how you're feeling. Request tests to see what's going on inside if you're not offered them. Good luck and I hope you get some answers and support.

Vx

Back