• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has anyone had a gastric sleeve then had a bypass???

Staruk1957

I hada gastric sleeve on Dec 15th 2011, I have lost eight stone!!
Has anyone else had this if Oscan they tell me how it went???

Thanksin anticipation
Star

I would be interested in this too.

My surgeon was convinced that I will be back to have the 2nd half of the operation.

I had mine in two stages, lost 8 stone then 10 with the bypass. My weight loss had slowed right down with the sleeve alone.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Cicca said:
I had mine in two stages, lost 8 stone then 10 with the bypass. My weight loss had slowed right down with the sleeve alone.

Wow cicca how inspirational... Im waiting on a gastric bypass and i have around 18 stone to lose an you gave really given me hope, i would love to see some before and after photos of you if you have any (and obviously dont mind) and also how long did it take you to lose the weight?

And can i ask why you had to have the sleeve 1st??? Was it to dangerous to do the bypass straight off? Thats worrys me alot because my consultant said to give me the bypass straight away, im 28 stone and im worried i may not wake up from the surgery because im so massive x

Kirstyjade I just wanted to say I had a bypass straight away and I was 26 stone, I'm also only 5ft 1 so my bmi was a scary 69, my surgeon was happy to go straight to bypass. I was confident that if he felt confident then id be ok. Obviously I had nerves but I don't think your surgeon would agree to do if he had any worries. Good luck to you and to you star x

image-675006115.jpg

It was done in two parts for safety, I was 30 stone and so Dr decided it was best in two stages. Is def doable!

xx.

image-1582397224.jpg

This was a photo taken the day I started the liquid diet preparing for surgery. There aren't many full and facial photos of me.

Attachments

• image-1042656018.jpg
    image-1042656018.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 604
Last edited:
Some very inspiring posts here. Well done guys.
I haven't had wls as yet but I'm hoping to in the near future. Having undertaken a sleep apnea test, I'm due to see my consultant for the results and hopefully progress to
the next phase of the process.
At the seminar I attended in Aug , I really liked the idea of the sleeve as the consultant suggested the procedure would suit a large volume eater, where as the bypass would suit those with a sweet-tooth and 'grazers'. The consultant gave me the impression that he favoured the bypass and referred to it as the gold standard in wls.
From what I've read I think the sleeve would really benefit me as a stand alone procedure as I don't have a sweet-tooth nor do i snack. AS I've still got a lot of questions to ask and a lot to learn about wls a part of me is still at a crossroads re. the two procedures.
Cicca - with your experience of both procedures, do you think that the above is a correct re. large volume eaters and those with a sweet tooth?

mr97 said:
Some very inspiring posts here. Well done guys.
I haven't had wls as yet but I'm hoping to in the near future. Having undertaken a sleep apnea test, I'm due to see my consultant for the results and hopefully progress to
the next phase of the process.
At the seminar I attended in Aug , I really liked the idea of the sleeve as the consultant suggested the procedure would suit a large volume eater, where as the bypass would suit those with a sweet-tooth and 'grazers'. The consultant gave me the impression that he favoured the bypass and referred to it as the gold standard in wls.
From what I've read I think the sleeve would really benefit me as a stand alone procedure as I don't have a sweet-tooth nor do i snack. AS I've still got a lot of questions to ask and a lot to learn about wls a part of me is still at a crossroads re. the two procedures.
Cicca - with your experience of both procedures, do you think that the above is a correct re. large volume eaters and those with a sweet tooth?

I was a big eater, I didn't have a sweet tooth or even eat junk. I just ate till I was full, which at the time my body couldn't consume fast enough so I put weight on. I was a couch potatoe as moving was agony and combined with my food intake I gradually became super morbidly obese.

I think the sleeve on its on is a fantastic tool, I choose to go on and have the full procedure after because I wanted to complete my journey. I have very little loose skin as the weight loss was gradual and I began to swim within weeks of having surgery.

I'm happy to answer any questions!

xx.

Last edited:
Mr Patel and I discussed it - he was keen to do a sleeve and then go on to do bypass if I had not lost enough...I however just wanted to go straight for bypass as I mentally could not cope with knowing I still could cheat a bit and know there was still another option up my sleeve - excuse the pun!!
xx

I was a big eater, I didn't have a sweet tooth or even eat junk. I just ate till I was full, which at the time my body couldn't consume fast enough so I put weight on. I was a couch potatoe as moving was agony and combined with my food intake I gradually became super morbidly obese.

I think the sleeve on its on is a fantastic tool, I choose to go on and have the full procedure after because I wanted to complete my journey. I have very little loose skin as the weight loss was gradual and I began to swim within weeks of having surgery.

I'm happy to answer any questions!

xx.

Thank you Cicca, your past eating pattern was just like mine. I too ate junk food, didn't move about much and quickly became very obese. I will discuss wls with my consultant at some point, but its so beneficial to hear yours and other people's experiences. Thanks again.x

Thankyou for your replies they have made me feel much better about my situation !!
I am now looking forward to the second part of my journey, having beem
N 34 stone and immobile nearly, I am slowly getting more more but my knees and hips have taken the tole of my obesity !!!
I feel truly blessed to have this oprtunity and move forward to a better lifestyle, and being able to do things with my grandchildren instead of jut sitting and watching them !!!
Thankyou Cicca for showing me our journey and success youarean inspiration to me !!
Luv n hugs
Star

Staruk1957 said:
Thankyou for your replies they have made me feel much better about my situation !!
I am now looking forward to the second part of my journey, having beem
N 34 stone and immobile nearly, I am slowly getting more more but my knees and hips have taken the tole of my obesity !!!
I feel truly blessed to have this oprtunity and move forward to a better lifestyle, and being able to do things with my grandchildren instead of jut sitting and watching them !!!
Thankyou Cicca for showing me our journey and success youarean inspiration to me !!
Luv n hugs
Star

You're so welcome, I knew there was another way, over the years Dr's had ignored my plight - then I met the team at the Homerton who did the surgery, I never looked back! Anything is possible when you put your mind to it and get a little help.

Cicca wow!! You are an inspiration! And swimming it is for me then if you can lose that much weight and reduce the loose skin.
How many times a week did u swim? Xxxx

Carre said:
Omg that's amazing, I can't believe it!!! You must feel great cause you look it xx

Thank you, I never thought it could work out so well. It was the best thing I ever did.

Cicca said:
It was done in two parts for safety, I was 30 stone and so Dr decided it was best in two stages. Is def doable!

xx.

This was a photo taken the day I started the liquid diet preparing for surgery. There aren't many full and facial photos of me.

Wow cicca just wow im literally speachless you done amazing a you look freakin amazing your such an inspiration, i just hope i can do aswell as you

How long did it take you to lose the weight?
And can i ask if you have bad loose skin as this really worrys me? But obviously having loose skin is a million times better than carrying all this weight around

Again you look absolutly incredible hun well done you should be so proud,
You've given me so much hope THANKYOU x

kirstyjade said:
Wow cicca just wow im literally speachless you done amazing a you look freakin amazing your such an inspiration, i just hope i can do aswell as you

How long did it take you to lose the weight?
And can i ask if you have bad loose skin as this really worrys me? But obviously having loose skin is a million times better than carrying all this weight around

Again you look absolutly incredible hun well done you should be so proud,
You've given me so much hope THANKYOU x

It took two years to lose the whole amount, then I stayed the same weight for 6 months before I could have a tummy tuck. I haven't got a lot of loose skin, did loads of swimming which is great to help you tone up. The tummy tuck was essential, I had 14lbs of skin removed, as this was where I carried most of my weight.

It's all good, I worried about skin, hair and many things that never ever became an issue. It's better to take each stage and save worry for when it actually becomes a problem. I'd do it all again in a heart beat, for me it was the only way to get back my life.

xx.

Back