• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has anyone had bad comments about getting a band on the NHS

babybell

Ive had a few people say i should pay for my band myself, ive worked since i was 16 and i now pay ALOT of tax every month, so why should i pay and someone else get it free. some people are horrible and cant just be happy for other people. i dont smoke, i dont drink and the only time i was in hosiptal was for the birth of my son and that was paid for privately. im just maoning but grrrrrrrrr it makes me mad

Sorry can't help you on that one - had to pay for mine due to totally crappy pct and gp - I'd waited 2 years........... a girl can only wait so long. You are entitled to NHS treatment - don't let anyone get to you. Would they be making rude or inappropriate comments if someone who smoked was having treatment for lung cancer? I think not. I am an ex-smoker so I know of what I speak - both obesity and smoking are in the main due to addiction but I understand that we have made a choice that has brought us to where we are today. That does not give the world and its wife the right to make uninformed judgements or rude comments to or about us. Grrrrrr. I too have worked my entire adult life - have paid for any operation I have ever had - it makes me very cross too.

Archiesmum is now stepping off her soapbox!!

Last edited:
Like 'archiesmum' I'm having to go private due to a crap nhs bariatric system where i am. If you are happy going nhs then dont listen to anyone else.

Good luck! xxxxx

I feel the same babybell, worked since I was 17, don't smoke, hardly drink, no other health concerns, have no kids so my taxes don't pay for them, my parents have private pensions so my taxes don't go there....(just where does our tax and N.I. go :confused:)
Very annoying when people say that overweight people should pay for surgery themselves.

Thanks ladies, i would pay private if i had to wait years but like yourselfs i pay tax etc and claim nothing . so why shouldnt i get something back. some people see everything black and white . x

i would say ignore them sweetpea! there prob just jealous anyways xx

Ive had a few people say i should pay for my band myself, ive worked since i was 16 and i now pay ALOT of tax every month, so why should i pay and someone else get it free. some people are horrible and cant just be happy for other people. i dont smoke, i dont drink and the only time i was in hosiptal was for the birth of my son and that was paid for privately. im just maoning but grrrrrrrrr it makes me mad

Hey There

You do what you want , ignore the small minded people who say you should pay for your band, it really infuriates me that thousands of people that shouldnt even be living in this country claim social and put a drain on our nhs resources and yet your being damned for it and you lived in the country all your life and paid taxes since you was 16 ,your only getting back what you have paid in . As Anne Robinson would say - Ditch the deadwood!! Good luck to you hun ;)

All the best - MeJulie xx

I think it's mainly this same hysterical media coverage which then informs people too lazy to think things through for themselves which triggers this kind of ignorant remark.

Like in the past, the media became hysterical over the so-called 'yuppie flu' which was M.E/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - a genuine and potentially killer disease which robs people of life and dignity. M.E sufferers are still tremendously stigmatised, even by sectors of the health profession, because of it.

As with obesity, the media like to whip up a storm to sell papers, tv shows etc, but fail to properly research and inform people of the true disease nature of the condition. Hysteria sells better I guess!

It makes me very angry too.

I guess you have two choices - either attempt to educate the ignorant,
OR
to chose to ignore them.
I personally choose the first in the main, although I also don't choose to 'cast my pearls before swine'!

Some people are just too ignorant to help!

Here endeth Charis's rant! :D

Ignorance and jealousy are soooo wrong!

Ignore them, you go for it xx

I was banded on the NHS and anyone who has had anything to say about it has been told to stick it up their hoop in whistle ;)

I got my bypass on NHS and I like you pay LOTS of tax - I do know some people don't like it but that's their hard cheese. I do not think ANYONE should have to pay private to save their life and the fact that they have to just shows how mixed up our countries priorities are!!!!!!!! Good luck to you xxx

Take them with a pinch of salt, your entitled to it and there just jealous, if it makes you feel any better tell them you took their advice and went private lol (just to see there faces). NHS and private are exactly the same anyway except for the bill at the end of one.

Back