• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

having a band is no tool to lose weight, its will power

Hi hun,

I responded to a thread of yours a couple of weeks ago when you first started posting about the issues and problems that you'd been having. This may be a long response but there's a few things from your other threads that I wanted to pop in again here . . .

At the time you said about the foods that you were eating and that you wanted some suggestions about how to shake things up...

This was the thread http://www.wlsurgery.com/introduce-yourself-here/154700-fighting-battle.html

And in that I responded with regards to checking out the food that you're eating, maybe shaking things up a bit with the change in logging food to achieve a change in carbs and protein. But what you've written above with what you're eating, is the similar things to what you were eating previously.

So in terms of the band - it can often be going right back to basics, not only to start over, but also to introduce changes which will help and kickstart that weightloss.

Firstly. You mention that you are often sick after meals. This is NOT right. If you're finding that you're bringing food up then it could be down to
- you're eating too big mouthfuls
- you're eating too quickly
- you're not chewing it well enough
- you have over restriction in your band

You are able to tackle the first three and it is often worth going over and starting again. Some providers follow the 20/20/20 guideline, my own suggests 30/30/20, but a tiny morsel of food no bigger than a 50p piece.

It is worth starting over, using a physical timer to time the way you eat to see if that makes a difference.

With regards to if you're actually over restricted then the more you're sick the more it inflames the stomach on the outside by the band. As such, it inflames more, swells more, makes the band tighter and in consequence, it then makes the restriction even tighter still and the chances of your being sick increases.

Having just spent 4 weeks battling a severe over restriction which at the end left me not even able to swallow my own saliva, it is possible that you may have started off being sick due to eating too quickly, not eating small enough mouthfuls or not leaving enough time between mouthfuls, but then because you've been sick it is causing swelling around the band, which is then not easing and not reducing tightness because its not getting the chance to recover.

As such, I went back to my provider and had a defill.

I have just spent a week on milk and water only to allow the stomach to fully settle and the swelling to come down. I've then spent a week on bland mash, no spices, no acidic food to prevent irritation within the stomach and to ensure that the swelling is coming down to loosen the band.

Sometimes this is the only option that is there. And if you're being sick so much after food then there is a very strong suggestion that you actually have too much restriction from the band and it may well be that you actually need to have some taken out, to let things settle down and then go for slow small fills, working on the eating and what foods you eat.

Also, log your food. You may think that its only small portions, but it can be deceiving. Use something such as myfitnesspal and try changing the foods so they are very much protein based.

There are various people on here who have had good losses by following the guidelines that I put in that previous post to you, so working to a 1000-1200 cals max intake (finding what works for you) but limiting carbs to 70g and ensuring that you have a minimum of 70g protein.

If you find that what you're doing in terms of eating and the things that you're eating aren't enabling you to lose weight, then you first have to sit back and say "this isn't working" and to try something different.

Lots of other members put up some suggestions for food and meal items on this thread
http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-banders/154702-feeling-down.html

Have you tried any of the other suggestions people put there for you? You said that there were good ideas - but which ones have you tried? Which ones have you implemented into the way and what you're eating?

On another thread you asked for protein based meals and food suggestions a couple of weeks ago - have you tried any of these out?

ETA - I've just seen your last response - I am MORE than happy to have a one to one chat, Im more than happy to help in anyway I can :) so please do get in touch :)

Also, just another thought, what contact and help have you had from the THG and their dieticians? And have you spoken to them of your being sick and if so, what have they said?

i would say heed top kats advice and start again, make this your week one, high protein low carb and see what happens at the end of the week scales wise. Then if nothings shifting go back to your provider and give them the what for and get that help and aftercare that you need and payed for. x x

i think you may b right in saying im probably not eating small enough mouth fulls or chewing it enough i do most of the time but i do sometimes forget, and i think i will probably re start like you say and give it another boost is going on slim fast for a week a good idea or should i try something else

and so for a week you only ate mash spuds on its own nothing else, and what kind of portion size did you have of mash, and i do have face book

you have lost alot of weight since you had surgery in october havent you i was 14st 7,1b when i had mine done in april this year and im now 13st 2,1b but i have been stuck at that weight since june

Hi Tracy
Don't know if you have I pad or I phone but there is a good app called eat slower
I have it on my phone & it's taught be too eat slower x

Second week post op i did puree's so i had things like smoothies, thick homemade soup, pureed cottage pie that sort of thing! x x

I've just dug my book out hopefully can get you some info from it. Examples of soft food my provider gives is 4tbsp fish pie, 2tbsp tender fish with mash, 4tbsp sheperds/cottage pie, 4tbsp casserole, scrambled egg made with one egg, omlette made with one egg, 1 piece of soft fruit without skin.

i think you may b right in saying im probably not eating small enough mouth fulls or chewing it enough i do most of the time but i do sometimes forget, and i think i will probably re start like you say and give it another boost is going on slim fast for a week a good idea or should i try something else

Ok, well this is a start, everyone is so quick to blame the band for failing or not working properly and the reality is it the person using the band. So, if you're eating too quickly and mouthful are too big, the food doesn't pass through enough it gets blocked and you're sick. YOU have the ability to change that.

It can take a lot to slow down your eating. Use a timer on a phone if need be, but tiny mouthfuls no bigger than a 50 p piece. Have a 50p by you, your meal on a side plate. Portion size of mash and normal foods should only be 3-6 tablespoons.

It maybe worth starting over yes odd a few days on liquid, few days on mash and then really focus on the meals. But protein all the way. YOU have the ability to change the foods you eat and to try the things we have previously suggested.

If you aren't prepared to make the changes then you're not working with the band. It is only a tool to losing weight but only if YOU work with it, follow the guidelines and make changes.

and so for a week you only ate mash spuds on its own nothing else, and what kind of portion size did you have of mash, and i do have face book

Is this aimed at me? In terms of a week of mashed potato? If so then no, I don't eat potato anymore. Protein all the way for me. But your portion size should only be 3-6 tablespoons but of the right food.

also do a google search on mindful eating as this can really help to change the way you eat.

long term eating as stated by my provider. Protein should make up a quarter of your plate, carbs another quarter and half should be made up of veg/salad. Good protein foods include:
cooked chicken,
White fish,
Minced beef,
Salmon, sardines, mackerel, herring, kipper, trout, tuna,
Fish fingers,
Eggs,
baked beans,
soya or tofu,
or meat free protein such as quorn.

well i am going to start all over again on monday i have a hectic weekend and im going out yes alcohol i do drink that is another downfall for me but only on a saturday white wine soda and ice provider said thats ok but im also a champagne queen i dont have any problems with the fizz i take my time with it i know drink is a no no but its my only pleasure as food is not one anymore and i dont smoke so i wont stop the one day a week drinking, but i am going to start a fresh with the band again

Back