• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

having a band is no tool to lose weight, its will power

traceystevo

i had my band in april and since june ive not lost an ounce, i wish i had researched it more because i would never have had it done,i paid for my band i know its no quick fix but eating what and how they tell you to after you have had it done well you are going to lose weight any way you have no need to pay thousands a pounds, only to boff up after most meals and to have food get stuck when you are out with friends at a meal and have to dash to the loo to boff it up, and for them to have to wait for you to finish your starter and they are on ther pud and just about ready to go, it all takes over your life, ive tried all foods and eat slow and chew but i am not losing weight and then they tell me id dont work for some i said what never and she said yes never as if it ment nothing when ive paid five grand how dare she, i will carry on with this battle as i have no choice but if you are about to have it done think hard cos will power is all you need not an empty bank:sigh::mad::wave_cry:

I;m sorry you feel this way and your having this experience! All i can say is go back to your provider and talk with them. You shouldnt be throwing up after every meal x

I'd echo that - being sick after every meal is really awful, poor you.

Having the band does mean you eat VERY slowly, so yes when I'm out I will have a starter which will take me longer to eat than most people take to eat their main courses. I have had food stuck and it is deeply, deeply uncomfortable and not an experience I want to repeat.
I would always recommend anyone looking into weight loss surgery (of any type) to research it very well, as none of them are a quick fix or an easy answer. All need major changes to the way we eat in order to work.

I hope you can work with your provider to get the vomiting sorted x

i had my band in april and since june ive not lost an ounce, i wish i had researched it more because i would never have had it done,i paid for my band i know its no quick fix but eating what and how they tell you to after you have had it done well you are going to lose weight any way you have no need to pay thousands a pounds, only to boff up after most meals and to have food get stuck when you are out with friends at a meal and have to dash to the loo to boff it up, and for them to have to wait for you to finish your starter and they are on ther pud and just about ready to go, it all takes over your life, ive tried all foods and eat slow and chew but i am not losing weight and then they tell me id dont work for some i said what never and she said yes never as if it ment nothing when ive paid five grand how dare she, i will carry on with this battle as i have no choice but if you are about to have it done think hard cos will power is all you need not an empty bank:sigh::mad::wave_cry:

I simply cannot understand this thread
I have 2 daughters with bands and 2 friends also
My one daughter has lost almost 9 stones
My other daughter has lost 6 stone
My friends are both doing really well

So my conclusion is I am totally mystified, it is impossible to diet correctly and not too loose weigh..
Im not saying you are doing something wrong I am not an expert

However I had my band done 6 weeks ago, I have followed instructions set by provider and I have lost 2 stone 3 pounds since op
But in totally with my own efforts I have lost 3stone 2pounds
so I am utter amazed you have lost nothing at all I am also sad for you as this should not be the case
Go back to provider....

Please update us :)
Good luck xxxx

i have been back to my provider and like ive said there answer was that there is some that it never works for,thats not the answer i want to hear when they have just took my 5grand, im glad it works for you and your family well done and that it works for many others but, i have to see the dietition in december but even that is 4wks away you would think they would get me in much sooner its disheartning, i dont know maybe ive got to give it more time, i also dont understand why it is that im sick so much but yet not losing weight, im not sick aftre everything i eat but it is alot

i have been back to my provider and like ive said there answer was that there is some that it never works for,thats not the answer i want to hear when they have just took my 5grand, im glad it works for you and your family well done and that it works for many others but, i have to see the dietition in december but even that is 4wks away you would think they would get me in much sooner its disheartning, i dont know maybe ive got to give it more time, i also dont understand why it is that im sick so much but yet not losing weight, im not sick aftre everything i eat but it is alot

Oh Dear Im so sorry for you..truly I am..because I am one of thee people that do not loose weight speedily..:wave_cry:
But for you not too loose at all and feel unwell..
I have to say this..Its TOTALLY unfair sweetie :(

if youve to wait that long to see the dietician that is shoddy why not ask some advice on here with regard to diet and exercise. Are you eating protein first, 3 small meals a day. Are you able to exercise?
It may be something really simple thats just blocking you from losing. Once you work out what that is you should be able to lose weight. x

I agree with the above.

Post a daily diary on here for advice regarding food and exercise x

Yep we can give you as much help as our personal experince will allow, ie what worked for us if you want us to.

It's not only unfair but must be really frustrating for you that your provider is being so blase about it. When you do get to see the dietician, the first thing they will ask is what are you eating. So a food log would be a really good idea and then maybe we could give you some more tips too xx

i have been keeping a food diary since my last fill on the 8th nov, i can not do much in the way of excesise as im due keyhole surgery on my knees on the 19th nov so that will knock me off my feet for a bit, on average i eat 3 small meals aday i normaly have i slice toast and scrambled egg using 2 eggs for breakfast and for lunch yesterday i had homemade soup and 3 crisp breads for dinner i had a small bowl of tai red curry and rice kept almost all of those meals down, i also had tea and coffee during the day with 1 sugar in them, i had no snacks ive cut them out, today i had small jacket spud two tbl spoons beans and small amount tuna fish and for my dinner later im having a weight watches meal, what sort of things do you eat

Your meals all sound quite carb heavy and not so much protein. I always make sure i eat my protein first. for breakfast i might have a low fat turkey sausage with one scrambled egg, the for lunch its usually cold meat with a bit of salad, and dinner is meat with some sort of veg on the side. Recently for breakfast ive been having the danio yogs they give you a good boost of protein first thing. If i dont feel ive eaten my recommended amount of protein in a day i will have a protein shake too. Make your protein the main component of your meal. I'm no expert by any means but its what works for me x

thanks i will try the yog and add more protein to my day i dont eat veg or fish this is why i chose surgery cos diets all say fill on fish n veg and eat less meat but sadly this isnt working yet ither but i will prod on i dont really have a choice not to now,i dont eat bread anymore i cant tollerate it anymore i eat crisp breads and warbatons thins if im craving a sandwhich i need to research more things i should eat to help me

Hi there

This is only my opinion and always listen to providor first.

I was told to have a teaplate half filled with veg/salad, quarter protein and quarter carbs. I have eaten carbs all the way through and they haven't stopped my weight loss, I am nearly 6 stone down! Breakfast I don't tend to have the salad/veg but do try and add mushrooms or tomatos for bulk.

Yesterday for me was: -

Brekkie - warburtons brown thin with boiled egg or turkey rashers and mushrooms

Lunch - 2 ryvita sesame, tin of weight watchers tuna in tomato sauce, cherry tomato and cucumber

snack pm - cereal bar and fruit

tea - salmon, salad, small piece of feta and sweet potato roasted

evening - 2 squares of dark chocolate

drinks - 1 litre of water, 2 teas with 1 sugar and 3 coffees no sugar

Like I said I am not saying this is correct but don't deprive yourself. A little bit of what you fancy does you good just don't go overboard. I have not deprived myself on this journey, I have wine most weekends, been on 4 holidays this year and still lost weight.

All I can say is if you try new foods, chew, chew, chew ,chew then chew a bit more!!! And make sure you wait between mouthfulls.

Good luck and if you need any help/advice keep asking x x

I totally agree with you. I thought this is not going to be a miracle to loose weight but a tool to give me an advantage to loose weight, well I was wrong it has not helped me in the slightest and is one of the only truly regrets in my life. I am 16 months post op and only 10lbs down from my starting weight. I am 5 grand down and have some really ugly keloid scares to show for it and nothing else. Given the option again knowing what I know now, I would never have the procedure done. And yes I followed all the rules, it made no difference!

PS I appreciate it has been a blessing for some people and good for them, I am truly happy for them. But and a big but, it does not help all people. Those of us who have had a negative experience opinions are just as valid as anyone else's and should be out there also to give those considering the surgery another side to ponder.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is saying the point of opinion is not valid Bella's Band. It is true that the band doesn't work for some and I would think most of us are keeh to understand why that is. We're not saying it's wrong.

All I see here is a lot of people trying to support, provide guidance and share their tips and hints. Surely it's always better to give it another go with support than give up and say it doesn't work, people considering surgery should see this too.

I am totally gobsmacked and mystified as to how if doing any diet correctly...you would not loose weight

It is a simple equation
Calories in minus calories burnt if left with a deficit you have to loose weight?? right??
If you use more cals than you consume your body will draw on its fat storage and technically you should loose weight

I want to understand why this has not work for some

I also notice Bella band you say your only 10pounds down but your stats show a bigger loss..have you updated them so we can see a pattern to weight gain etc and may be able to advise or support you :)

i know everyone is trying to help and the advice is much apreciated indeed and i would welcome any food ideas anyone can give me im not sure if i can message one to one yet as im not 1oo% sure how to work this site yet so a one to one chat would be of great help to me rather than me having to search this site for threads or chat so if you can one to one message me with ideas of what to eat i would be very happy

Back