• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has Anyone Used Xenical Pre Op?

Jane

I am getting really frustrated with how slowly my weight is coming off. I need to lose so much in just 11 weeks and really want to do all I can to help myself.

I have a prescription of Xenical at home that my doctor prescribed before wls was really discussed and only used one weeks worth of the tablets, so still have three weeks that I could take. Plus I am sure that the GP will give me more if I wanted them.

I am already following a really low fat diet so don't think I should have such a problem with side effects.

Wondered if anyone else had used this or Ali (the over the counter version) to help speed up the pre pre op weight loss, and how they found it.

Surely if you are on a low fat diet the zenical wont make too much difference.I really think you should just keep doing what you are and drink water.I have had the best losses when I really kept flushed and hydrated.Dont drown your system though thats dangerous.Maz x

I was prescribed them some years ago and wasnt really impressed with them.....I ate a low fat diet with them and still had toilet problems! Sorry to be graphic but oil and poo mixed are not good :eek: I was always on the loo and too afraid to go too far from it! I do know that some people find them really helpful though so I think they maybe didnt agree with me ..... might be worth giving them a go and see how you get on :D XX

Yes i bought the over the counter version (Ali) as i needed to lose some weight fast in the 4-5 week run up to my surgery.
The over the counter version is half the strength of the prescribed stuff. I ate a high protein, low carb, low fat diet whilst taking them, and I had very good results with no side-effects at all.
They worked very well for me.
Grace xxxx

Thanks for your replies ladies. Think I will give them a go, as according to the gumph they work well with a low fat diet and if you have no fat at a particular meal, there's no need to take them.

I know years ago I had real problems with them and was in the loo most of the time! If the side effects start then I can soon stop taking them again. Anything to try and get a bit more weight off.

So I'll see how it goes for a couple of weeks then think again.

The over the counter version is half the strength of the prescribed stuff.

So could you take double the dose and get the same effect as the prescription one then?

I was under the impression that they were slightly more than half strength, in which case, taking double the dose could prove interesting.......!!! lol

I took Alli and they worked fine and helped me lose 21lbs last year but I did have quite a lot of wind even whilst following a low fat diet.

Von

So could you take double the dose and get the same effect as the prescription one then?
I know when I discussed taking Xenical a year or so ago my GP thought that Ali may be better as they were about half the strength. Not sure if it would work taking twice the dose though, perhaps a chat with the chemist?

Would your GP not prescribe Xenical for you?

yes i had zenical, i lost 5 stone over 2 years , but was getting divorced same time so stress prob played a part in it, at the end of the day its superficial and as soon as you stop taking it your weight will come back i put all mine back on with severe intrest hunnie xx

I was under the impression that they were slightly more than half strength, in which case, taking double the dose could prove interesting.......!!! lol

I took Alli and they worked fine and helped me lose 21lbs last year but I did have quite a lot of wind even whilst following a low fat diet.

Von

Pharmacist told me half strength but I didn't check, I just believed them. I had horrible side-effects on the full strength ones, so I was happy with half strength. They didn't give me any side effects but of course we're all different.

yes i had zenical, i lost 5 stone over 2 years , but was getting divorced same time so stress prob played a part in it, at the end of the day its superficial and as soon as you stop taking it your weight will come back i put all mine back on with severe intrest hunnie xx

I agree that any weight lost could easily be put back on, but luckily this shouldn't be an issue for me as I have my op end of April. :)

I haven't regained any weight with them but of course I had my bypass a couple of weeks after finishing taking them. I took them as a quick-fix in desperation as I needed to shift weight fast. I'd regained almost all of my weight-loss target and if I hadn't lost it again my op would have been cancelled! :eek::eek::eek::eek: So I also had the most excellent motivation to stick to a healthy diet! ;)

I agree that you would probably re-gain weight after stopping taking them other-wise, but I think that is more t0 do with the same problem we all have of going back to old eating habits when we stop dieting. Like stopping SW, WW etc.
But my bypass has pretty much changed my eating habits, both in quantity and in quality!
I am NEVER going to re-gain weight now, because I won't allow myself to! :flirt2:

I thik they're well worth a try given your circumstances Jint.:)

Best of luck with them.

i had to laugh at this message cos guess what i dug out my draw and started taking again yesterday morning. my op should be in about 6 weeks and i am in total panic mode. i joined weight watchers 3 weeks ago to try and lose some extra pounds and lost another 8 but when i went this week i put on a pound for no reason so thought what the heck got nothing to lose get the xenical back out.

had no effects so far ans like you i wasnt sure how they would work on a low fat diet but so far no side effects. last time i had them i did suffer from the usual toilet problems but so far ok. i did lose with them last time but much prefered reductil i might dig those out too

i'll keep you posted on how it goes

Chris be careful with the Reductil. Hasn't it just been taken off the market? And you should only use it under medical supervision because it can cause havoc with your blood pressure.

Don't think I'm being bossy love, I'm just concerned for you. Have you re-gained your target loss? You've got enough time to lse it again if you have. It's so hard love, isn't it.

Good luck with the xenical, I hope it works for you as well as it did for me.
How are you feeling today love?

Grace xxx

Chris, Grace is right Reductil have been withdrawn as they are not considered safe. I took them a couple of years ago and my heart rate went through the roof as did my blood pressure. Best not to take them, stick with the Xenical.

I still have a few reductil left too, but I am going to take them to the chemist to destroy as they really are not safe to take. Being stuck on the loo is one side effect I can deal with (Xenical), but rapid heart rate, chest pains and extra high blood pressure, not worth the risk in my opinion. So I agree with Grace, please don't get tempted to take them.

I agree too about the reductil you want to keep your heart as healthy as possible before your op , I took xenical before my op and lost two stone , good luck xx

I tried Xenical, but had terrible side effects with them....not the 'loo' problems which are typical, but I suffered from bad palpitations, sickness & dry mouth. My Dr told me the only time he had ever known people to have problems with Xenical was when they weren't following a strict low fat diet......certainly not the case with me! I also tried Reductil for 18 months......conversely, I had no problems with them at all, no raised BP throughout the entire time I was on them & very good weight loss! We are all different & we have different tolerances to different types of drugs, the only way you'll ever know if they are suitable & efficacious for you, is to try them & take them as strictly prescribed xxx

Chris be careful with the Reductil. Hasn't it just been taken off the market? And you should only use it under medical supervision because it can cause havoc with your blood pressure.

Don't think I'm being bossy love, I'm just concerned for you. Have you re-gained your target loss? You've got enough time to lse it again if you have. It's so hard love, isn't it.

Good luck with the xenical, I hope it works for you as well as it did for me.
How are you feeling today love?

Grace xxx

when would you ever boss me about your advice is always welcome xxxx

no am still 2 and a bit stone lighter than my first appointment i just want to lose as much as possible. i have a utter paranoid feeling that i will get weighed before my op and they say i have put on and wont do it so if i get well into the low 18 stones then theres no chance of that .

i hadnt realised it had been taken off the market - so glad i didnt take it, i will take it to the chemist tomorrow. not risk making myself ill for no one not at this stage.

still in a lot of pain with my knee phoned the doctor today to ask what i should do , he said go back to accident and emergency but when i rang them its 6 hours plus for non urgents and i just cant face that on a friday night. so am busy resting it and keeping my weight off it

how you feeling Grace? are you missing hotel SRH?

Back