• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long has it been going on -

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
I dont mean your weight problems as that is soo long for all of us (22 years for me)
I mean you weight loss journey to wls.

Mine started around 4-5 years ago and I was put on Xenical, then reducti then Xenical.
I lost a couple of stone, got pregnant had My son and went back up to my heaviest weight. Went to see gp for xenical again in April 2008 when she suggested a band and asked that i consider it which I did and the ball was sent rolling in June 2008. I started a 6 month weight management course after that I waited and In August 2009 I was seen by Mr Ammori who refused the Band and would only offer the Bypass which I was set against (for my own reasons) I sent him a long email basically pleading with him for a band and he finally agreed. I then had a Sleep Apnea test which failed so a re test, then a pyschological assesment which went well, then I got my Date of Monday the 11th of January, had my pre op, ECG and lung capacity test.
So for me one hell of a rollercoaster and in total 20 months. (Fingers crossed all goes well)
x
Helen (Just Nosey)

Hi I have been over weight since 1993, obese since 1995, morbidly obese since 1999, and super morbidly obese since 2004.
The first time i asked for help medically was in 2004 when i was prescribed xenical, and afer that Reductil.
The first time i asked for surgery was August 2009 and from then on my journey has been really quick.
Refered by my GP on 17/08/09
Assesment meeting for funding application 16/10/09
Funding approved and allocated early November 2009
Sleep test 19/11/09
Met with surgeon 10/12/09
Gastric bypass scheduled for 13/01/2010

Gosh that is quick x well done x

I know you have to go through the motions but has the xenical or reductil worked for anyone ? (I lost a couple of stone) I dont think its a long term thing, I was told you shouldnt be on xenical for more than 2 years.

Hi

I been on reductil, xencial and accomplia at various stages of my wls (even before really knuckling down a few years ago) and I had terrible time with them, loss of sleep, irritability, faster heart rate, high blood pressure, headaches and edgy all the time, both times I was advised to stop taking them, so I cannot answer if it worked for me . Good Luck in getting some answers

All the best - MeJulie x x

I've been overweight since i was a toddler. So basically 39 years.

Went from overweight in my teens to plump to obese, super obese and back to obese again then to super morbidly obese.

I've never ever in my life been a "normal" size

I've also been on reductil, xenical, all sorts of herbal slimming stuff but never been able to sustain any weight loss. Also have an underactive thyroid.

Went to see my GP in Nov 2008 got referred to St Barts , underwent all the tests - found to have sleep aponea - then got referred to Homerton and am having my appts this month before they apply for funding and i hopefully go on the list.

I think it'll be close on to 2 years between referral and Op for me. :confused:

I have been overweight since i was 4 but things got a lot worse when my beautiful mum died when i was 8 so for 37 years i have been fighting this battle which i hope will soon end x

I was referred on the 22nd of June, had my group appointment in August, met Mr Heath in September, jumped through various hoops from September to December, met with one of the other doctor's on the 21st of December and am hopefully going to be having my op on the 19th of February!! Woohoohoo!!! So from referral to op (all being well!!) is about 8 months, and first appointment to op will be 6 months.

I tried Xenical and Reductil too, lost around 1 1/2 stone on each then put it back on and more. Both had awful side effects for me, the headaches with Reductil being the worst.

Been overweight since the age of 4. Weighed 18 stone by the time I was aged 18. Then increased steadily to 21 stone by the time I was 32 (June 2009).

Originally asked my then GP for referral for wls back in 2007. He refused.

Changed GPs, referred for funding in 2009. Twice. And twice refused by the PCT for not meeting their criteria.

September 2009 made appointment to see surgeon privately. 7 weeks later was under the knife. :eek:

Cuppa xx

i have been on reductil, xencial as well,
reductil work for me but had to stop taking them due to an ingredient in them, xencial i took my self off them as i just couldnt sleep and i work 6am - 2pm so my body clock just got messed up. also tried loads of herbal one as well all work well at first.

been over-weight since i was a teenager but my weight blow up in 2005 when my mum suddely died, then in 2007 off work for 3 months with my back probs then broke my ankle in june 2008 so in cast for couple of months then on a zimmer frame (i know was only 23!!!) for another 3 months then on 2 crutches, off work total 6/7months so my weight blew up)

the whole wls from start to finish was 5/6 months.

Back