• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has anyone you know....?

yorkshiregirl78

I have been looking thro the site and noone seems to mention the word beggining with 'd' (died)

Do you know anyone or anyone who has used this site that has had problems and unfortunately passed away?

I know it's not a great subject but it plays on my mind a lot, if something did go wrong!

I totally understand if you don't want to talk about it!:)

do you mean died on the op table ?

Too be honest i dont think anyone would say if they knew of someone dying relating to wls,can you imagine the mass exodus :eek:.The papers have a field day on the few we read of as it is.
Also i think its frightening enough for some newbies reading of the pain and post op dramas that some of us have gone through on here ;).

But i am sure it is a the back of quite a few peoples mind.

Hi BondeMoment, that is why I did say if people don't want to talk about it then that's fine, but it is something that happens and were all aware of it. I tried to tread carefully as I don't want to upset anyone but I felt the need to ask! This is what the forum is for or am I wrong?

2.b.a.n.d - I was more intrested on post-op...

It wasnt meant to sound like a dig,and yes you did tread carefully it was just my personal prospectus on the issue.
People ask some weird and wonderful question on this forum thats what makes it interesting.

Hi BondeMoment, that is why I did say if people don't want to talk about it then that's fine, but it is something that happens and were all aware of it. I tried to tread carefully as I don't want to upset anyone but I felt the need to ask! This is what the forum is for or am I wrong?

2.b.a.n.d - I was more intrested on post-op...

Hi there
don't worry you can ask any questions on here its not a problem :) of course everyone on here who is considering or has gone through wls has had the same thoughts belive me!

I personally asked my surgeon about that at the first meeting. He was very honest with me as there is always a risk with anaesthetic even if its just for having a minor operation but he put my mind at rest saying that he had only lost one patient in 300 and that was due to post operative complications some time after the surgery.
He didn't embelish so I didn't ask. What you have to remember is that everyone who goes through wls has got some kind of problems. Some may have more than others, ie, I have MS and fibromyalgia, this would put me more at risk of this than say someone who has not got this and there are people who may have other medical problems, this all has to be taken into account pre op.

I have not personally known anyone who has died due to this operation but its a very good question that you will need to ask your own surgeon about. It was the first question I asked him!!!

Good luck with your journey and please feel free to ask anything else what is worrying you. There is always someone on here who is willing to help you :):)

Please feel free to PM me as this happened to a work colleagues son who had banding surgery, its not something I want to shout about or talk about publicly but please PM me if you wish :(

There are statistics on american sites regarding deaths long term from Gastric bypass, as such there hasnt been an official study done in this country yet and offiacally a death 90 days post op is not attributed to the procedure.
The odds on dying from the op itself are extremely remote. The long term problems come from poor after care notibly from malnutrition which can cause a host of life threataning problems.

Hiya
I personally don't know of anyone dieing, but when I watched fat doctor the other day with Shaw Sommers, he operated on a young man (31 years old), who weighed 41 stone, and he died after the bypass. He got through the surgery, but when they tried to bring him round and take the breathing tube out, he started having breathing difficulties. They put the tube back in, and put him in the High Dependency Unit, and he died 3 days later without coming round fully. Shaw said that the chap had requested the story be told, even if he was to not survive the surgery, and it was a very moving episode. It is very very rare for this to happen.
MNL:wave_cry:

Dying on the op table doesn't actually worry me, at least I wouldn't know anything about it. What worries me is dying before 40, slowly and painfully(which is basically what I am doing right now). I have this notion I won't see 40 unless I get this damned weight off, that's 12 years off I'll be 28 in 16 days.:eek:

Of course post-op complications worry me too but I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.

Hi I also watched that episode where the young fellow died. Apparantly his heart wasnt strong enough either. But if you saw him even on his pre-op he could hardly get his breath just by getting up off the bed bless him. But either way Mr shaw sommers only gave him a 5yr life spam even if he didnt have the op. Its very unfortunate that he died but there is a 1% chance of death with every operation. Kind regards G.m:(
Hiya
I personally don't know of anyone dieing, but when I watched fat doctor the other day with Shaw Sommers, he operated on a young man (31 years old), who weighed 41 stone, and he died after the bypass. He got through the surgery, but when they tried to bring him round and take the breathing tube out, he started having breathing difficulties. They put the tube back in, and put him in the High Dependency Unit, and he died 3 days later without coming round fully. Shaw said that the chap had requested the story be told, even if he was to not survive the surgery, and it was a very moving episode. It is very very rare for this to happen.
MNL:wave_cry:

Dying is a risk - and anyone thinking about wls knows that, and usually worries about it as a result (I know I did, am).

For a bypass it's 1 in a 100 (or higher with co-morbidities), bands are about 1 in 2000. I do not know anyone personally who has died, but there have been a few cases on other forums. Things go wrong for all sorts of reasons - ask your surgeon for his mortality rate to give you some piece of mind...

Try not to dwell on it - my best advice.

Last edited:
Back