• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

political correctness, THE WORLD HAS GONE MAD ?

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
VENT ............

HAS THE WORLD GONE MAD HERE ? WITH POLITICAL CORRECTNESS ?

SOME PEOPLE TYPE HOW THEY TALK BUT MEAN NO HARM BY IT, I TYPE HOW I TALK ALOT, AND IT CAN COME ACROSS IN THE WRONG CONTEXT AND UPSET OTHERS READING MY POSTS.

FOR EXAMPLE IF I TALKED IN GEORDIE WHICH I DO ALOT ON TYPE THRO HABBIT AND THE AREA I LIVE IN ID HAVE ME HEAD CUTT OFF AND BE HUNG DRAWN N QUATERED.

WORDING 1 WORD IN A SLANG TERM CAN BE TAKEN THE WRONG WAY AS IN OFFENCIVE WHEN ITS NOT MEANT TO COME ACROSS THAT WAY, US GEORDIES SAY "PET" TO PEOPLE BUT OFFENCE IS TAKEN BY IT NOW BY PEOPLE BUT ITS SLANG FOR MY ACCENT SO I BE CAREFULL WHAT I SAY IN TYPE AS IT CAN BE TAKEN TOTALLY THE WRONG WAY BY OTHERS.

THIS IS MY EXAMPLE OF GEORDIE CHAT I USE IN TYPE FROM PEOPLE IN MY AREA WHICH OTHERS WONT UNDERSTAND, THE ODD WORD THRO HABBIT SLIPS IN WHEN IT SHOULDNT AND IS TAKEN WRONGLY...

"YA ALREET ME HINNY HOW YA DOING TODAY PET YA GOT OWT PLANNED FOR TODAY, IM GANNING IN TO TOON TO DE A BIT SHOPPING"

all these are slang terms i use regular and a miss typed word with out the full spelling people that dont understand the way its typed can take it the wrong way entirley which can cause people alot of upset and distress, when no real harm is actually meant by it.

this is a very long post so i will shut up now, but i just wanted to post this so people dont judge others harshly or to apprehensivly by whats been written or said.

liz x

Last edited:
Liz, I feel for you, some people just don't see past their own front doors, so don't take dialect, accents etc etc into consideration because if it's not part of their norm, then it's just not normal.

This is the biggest problem with typed text - you don't get to see emotion, accent, dialect and as a result it's so easy for anything to be taken out of context.

My advice - don't worry about it - if someone has a problem with the way a Geordie speaks, then they are the one with the problem not you!

all these are slang terms i use regular and a miss typed word with out the full spelling people that dont understand the way its typed can take it the wrong way entirley which can cause people alot of upset and distress, when no real harm is actually meant by it.

Ahh yeah. Know what you mean.

You know, a long time ago I was on a forum, and I jokingly called some slim guy a 'twig'. It was in a playful manner. I really liked the guy. Certainly didn't mean any offence. But I found out later that this was the title he was given at school by the school bullies, and he was mortified.

My message was edited. It was no big deal. I apologised and said I hadn't realised. Was I in the wrong to use that term? Not necessarily, but I did understand that for some people it wasn't an appropriate word to use.

I said "sorry", he said "thats okay" and we all lived happily ever after :D

I'm sure he didn't judge me or consider me a bad person. Neither did I think badly of him.

This was a word he didn't like, and it certainly didn't harm me in any sense having it removed.

It can be relatively easy to say something in all innocence with the written word and not realise what it can mean for others. I was thankful that it had been pointed out, as the last thing I wanted to do was hurt this guy.

I was also thankful that it had been edited before a major row broke out turning it into something bigger than necessary:cool:

And KD great that that situation was dealt with in an adult manner

Irene x

:happy096::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::happy096: i agree with you Liz

I'm a scouser and bl**dy proud of my roots and my heritage and i do get upset when people make jokes to me about watch your handbags/pockets there's a scouser about:mad: So no one else in the world steals????? it's just us scousers??????? i think not.

Like geordie's, the scottish, welsh. cockneys. brummies and Uncle Tom Cobbly and all there are people good and bad from all corners of the world. When i was growing up i thought EVERY taxi driver in Liverpool were called JIMMY because whenever i got in a taxi with my dad he called them JIMMY!!!!!!!:) and i was quite shocked when i found out this was not true.......

I like to read posts from across the forum and as i feel i am reading other people's mail i do not take offence by how or what people spell or link their words together - we are a family here and ALL families have funny little quircks that we should just ignore and let it wash over the tops of our heads because DEEP DEEP down 'ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE':bliss::heartpump::heartpump::heartpump::heartpump::bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss:

And KD great that that situation was dealt with in an adult manner

Irene x

I was very pleased that I didn't have loads of threads made concerning it :D
I'm a scouser and bl**dy proud of my:happy096: roots and my heritage and i do get upset when people make jokes to me about watch your handbags/pockets there's a scouser about:mad: So no one else in the world steals????? it's just us scousers??????? i think not.

Yep, I can see how that would offend a scouser :eek: I think it's brilliant that you would let it wash over you and not be offended, or if it was said on a forum, not to ask it to be removed.

Not everyone is so strong though, so sometimes it's best just to quietly edit it out, even if the original poster didn't mean to offend.

hi liz you are so right even face to face,my wife comes from south shields originaly and we go there three or four times a year and after 25years its still a different language...no offence meant or implied of course.

its alreet mate, divent worry ya heed hiny, geordie is the queens english !

havent you heard her and phil say wey aye man ?;)

liz x

I'm from Glasgow and also have highland roots and am very proud of both haves! I speak with what's lovingly called in Glasgow a "posh accent" with a highland twang lol whereas my OH speaks with a very broad Glasgow accent and uses commonly heard Glasgow words and phrases. Most people text the way they talk so if he texts outwith Glasgow a lot of people are lost and have to ask for a translation lol. I know what you mean Topsy Glasgow has a very "hard" reputation and it's not all true. Like you with your "handbag" we live with the reputation of being mean with money and "you can't walk the streets of Glasgow" and like you it annoys me. And here was me thinking we had all the "Jimmys" in the land ha ha " I work in social work and have done for over 20 years and that in itself has taught me a lot. I too love "hearing" peoples different accents and phrases and am not offended in anyway and love being part of this "big family"

surely its what we say not how we say it thats important. we're all here to support each other whatever part of the country we come from and how we speak or type!!

Im a bit of a joker so im often toungue in cheek, and larking around so none of my posts will ever be succinct and precise (unless situation calls for it).
xx

I'm from Glasgow and also have highland roots and am very proud of both haves! I speak with what's lovingly called in Glasgow a "posh accent" with a highland twang lol whereas my OH speaks with a very broad Glasgow accent and uses commonly heard Glasgow words and phrases. Most people text the way they talk so if he texts outwith Glasgow a lot of people are lost and have to ask for a translation lol. I know what you mean Topsy Glasgow has a very "hard" reputation and it's not all true. Like you with your "handbag" we live with the reputation of being mean with money and "you can't walk the streets of Glasgow" and like you it annoys me. And here was me thinking we had all the "Jimmys" in the land ha ha " I work in social work and have done for over 20 years and that in itself has taught me a lot. I too love "hearing" peoples different accents and phrases and am not offended in anyway and love being part of this "big family"
Gaelic Girl - spent alot of time in Glasgow when i was younger and i can say hand on heart it is a wonderful place and the people were ALWAYS welcoming and it happens to be the birthplace of the legend that is KENNY DALGLISH (the man walks on water for me)

Liz whats a hinny ?

A Hinny is a donkey mother and a horse father - a mule is a horse mother and a donkey father.

I nearly always write as I speak and yes have been misunderstood. I have read and reread things I have written and can't understand for the life of me why the person has taken offense.

A really good example of this happened on another weight loss surgery site when I told the facts about an HRT drug called Premarin. Someone took great offence because I pointed out what it was made of when she was taking the drug('Pre' is pregnant, 'mar' is mare and 'in' is urine - pregnant mare urine) but she announced herself as an animal lover and joked about the production of it. I was not personal I simple stated facts and posted links but she got very personal and attacked me (and her friends). All I intended to do was educate and hope that if she knew the facts she would ask her GP for another type.

To this day I have no idea why I was so bullied and scape goated on that site other than she is one of clique and I am not.

So it goes to show how different people read different things into the written word.

My personal bug bare is when people write in text speak. If they can't be bothered to write than I can't be bothered to read.

It also seems to be more and more acceptable to write with no punctuation, grammer, paragraphs etc and worse still capitals. This makes reading and understanding the written word in the context it is meant and not the context which its read even harder. Thank god for smilies.

Last edited:
Back