• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

has anyone you know died

blade

sounds crazy 1% out of 1000s who had this kind of operation has died.
do you know if any one died of complications or hurd that they have died :cry:

with every operation there is a risk and i totaly understand that.

so is there a chance of dieing from the gastric sleeve or gastric bypass :eek::cry::break_diet:

Hi blade the only ones I've heard of are the ones in the papers and nothing of them were to do with not eating enough I think. It's been a long time ago. You could google it and see what's comes up. I suppose the operation is like any other with the same risks but the after care from the operation just because of the nature might bring its own problems

Blade have you had you operation, if not are you going to heartlands, I think I have asked you that before just wondered

All operations carry risks, the biggest ones being excess weight and associated morbidities like high BP. Excess weight and comorbidities increase risk in loads of other ways eg for stroke/heart attack etc. So we are all in a high risk group before we even start, but are having the ops to reduce overall risk, if the risk was too high the surgeon/anaesthetist wouldn't do the op. After the op, well in some the damage that has been done by the weight on internal organs might be irreversible, and if adverse behaviours continue......I doubt that it's much to do with aftercare as such

I`ve only read of deaths relating somehow to WLS in the papers

There was a case local to me (before I moved here). The lady died 4yrs after surgery because she couldn't eat. The story was featured heavily in the press and on TV, however there is very little detail on how much medical help was sought from her team.

My team told me "we have never lost a patient yet and don't intend to start now"

I am sure you will be fine

Lynn x

We'll be prepared to look after yourself on the ward because the after care is crap. I wouldn't want to worry you but the staff are awful best warned best ready.

We'll be prepared to look after yourself on the ward because the after care is crap. I wouldn't want to worry you but the staff are awful best warned best ready.

Very true best to go prepared. I'm having day surgery so hoping I'm not in to long.

If you're worried, ask your surgeon what their personal mortality rates are.

If you go onto the Heartlands web site you will have to mess about with it I think I put in the surgeons name and you can see their track record it will tell you what surgery they carry out the most etc. the care on the ward afterwards is terrible they are trained according to the dietician but it's been some time I feel, I was told I could have a cup,of tea, someone rushed over and took it of me No No you can't have that, ok next meal,time I was offered some clear soup, that arrived and was also removed. It made no difference because I didn't reply want it. The same with medication I brought in all mine in liquid only to be almost force fed iburfen after been told not to touch it by the surgeon, for another nurse having an argument about if I should be taking it. I was also left in the loo for over 25 minuets buzzer going and two of my room mates also put theirs on when nursing assistant arrived I was informed she couldn't open the door from the outside I'd have to wait because she was going breakfast . Not a good start .

Back