• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has or is anyone..

_Victoria_

..Had their ops through the NHS at heartlands hospital in Birmingham?

I was just wondering because im reading a lot on here about people being n different tiers and all kinds of different appointments and things.. I was referred for WLS through my GP and got my first appointment at heartlands at the beginning of november. I only saw a dietitian and she did mention something about me being on tier 3 and that i will spend 6 months with them before they can decide if i should be referred for surgery or not and if they dont think im ready they will add another 6 months.. But since then i havent had anymore appointments besides one for april with an endocrinologist. Should i expect to get more appointments between now and then? Im just curious because april would put me at the 5 month mark.. i expected to have a lot more appointments

I expected a lot more appointments too. I was referred to the weight management team at Heartlands, and saw a consultant endocrinologist there in August 2014. Over the next year I had 2 dietitian appointments and saw 2 more (different) consultants. That was Tier 3. Then I was informed my case had been discussed at a Joint Medical and Surgical Weight Management MDT (multi disciplinary team)and that it was confirmed that I met the criteria for bariatric surgery. This was after 1 year and 1 month of attending the weight management clinic. Now I am on Tier 4. At the end of October I went to a seminar where the dietitian discussed all the options and talked about a study they are running to look at the long term results for different types of surgery. Since then I have seen a surgeon to discuss my options and will be seeing the dietician again this week. Should be having surgery late spring - early summer. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I went to the BUPA in Solihull my surgeon does a lot of ops in Heartlands, so I can't help you but wanted to wish you luck x

It might be worth giving them a call. Crazy as it sounds, people do get 'lost' in the system.

Good luck x

Thanks Penelope! Im really hoping mine doesnt take that long :( The dietitian told me if everything goes well im looking at 9 months to a year between my first appointment and actually having surgery so im really hoping everything goes well!! Just 'cause i wanna start the rest of my life NOW lol i know theres always a wait and im grateful for even being considered but i drive myself crazy with the waiting lol

Thanks Butterfly! :)

Hey Mazza!! Strangely enough i actually got another appointment through from my dietitian this morning for a telephone appointment on January 15th. Its nice to know they havent forgot about me and things are still in motion :) I was getting a little worried.. i guess they were having a break over christmas lol

I'm in Birmingham too :)

Quinton hun moved here about 6 years ago so not a native lol

Oh cool!! I'm in Castle Bromwich so I guess it's still a while away but it's nice to know someone is so close. You say you had your surgery done at Solihull?

Yes at the BUPA Damson Parkway Solihull as I self funded :)

Back