• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I don't meet the criteria for NHS Funding

Shopgirl1301

I have finally got through to a very nice lady at my local PCT, unfortunatley, it is not good news, although I have a bmi of over 40 (it is 41.6), I do not have diabetes and my gp won't refer me for a sleep test at the moment as he believes I do not have any symptoms (just snore loudly unfortunately!), also I have not completed a Level 3 diet service, which consists of dietician appointments, psycology appointments and regular nurse visits over 6 months, not until all of this criteria has been met will I be able to be referred, so my letter the GP sent will just bounce back to him until I meet this criteria.

I have been a bit tearful this morning and am now having to pick myself up, after speaking with a forum member yesterday I am now looking at the private option as I just don't want to wait.

Same journey, just a different path to get to where I want to go.

Just wanted to vent this off today.
Wendyx

I'm so sorry Wendy :( I didn't have much success with the NHS route either, though I think I did meet the criteria.
In hindsight I should have changed docs and kept at it.
However you get this done, I am more than happy to help you with any advice I can xxx

Hi Wendy,
This is all too often the case and I am so sorry... do wish you luck and very best wishes on your wls journey xxx

Aw Im so sorry you have had bad news, I would have been devastated too. I do hope you manage to go the private route......good luck hun and keep your chin up XX

Devastating news for you, I just don't know how incapacitated these PCT's want people before they meet the criteria...then they are probably too ill for surgery, you just can't win, can you? Totally understandable to be a bit wobbly today xxxx What I can say though, is while I was (eventually) fortunate enough to get by bypass funded by my PCT, I did have to wait almost 15 months from initial referral to the op. If I had had the financial means to fund it privately at the time, I would have done it in an instant. Jumping through the hoops & the waiting...have I, haven't I got funding...how long on the op waiting list, all this really takes it out of you. I think if you can somehow scrape the money together & fund it yourself, then you could be saving yourself 1 - 2 years heartache. I wish you they very best xxx

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, I am looking at the private route now, enabling me to have the surgery quite quickly, even before Xmas if I wanted, which would fit it with me "must do something about my weight before I'm 40!" Typical though hubby goes into hospital for cruciate ligament reconstruction begining of December and is off his feet for about 7-10 days, then no driving for about 4 weeks, so might have to wait until after Xmas now, so now to look at best options/costs etc.
I tried the dietician route last year with the doctors surgery, it did not work at all, so can not see me sticking with something like that for six months at all.
Thanks again everyone, nice to know the support is there, I don't get it at home from my OH unfortunately, so great to know there is some here if I need to vent/chat etc.
Wendyx

Have you thought about changing your Drs, you should write to the surgery manager and ask them to put you forward to see somebody about your sleeping. I f you do it through the surgery manager it will not be you Drs decision. That may be worth a try especially if you are not looking at having the op till after xmas if you are going private, you have nothing to lose xx

So sorry to hear you bad news. I had the same problem so had to fund privately. Only my area its now a BMI of 60:eek: its a blinkin joke.

I would go for after chrimbo hun new year and all that, plus you get a big xmas dinner :) Good luck to you honey xxx

Thanks guys, no I couldn't change my doctor, overall is the perfect GP really and all five of my kids, mum, sister etc are with him, so wouldn't want to leave, I could ask about the sleep test and I'm sure if I pushed him he would refer me but to be honest I still wouldn't qualify without the 6 months level 3 diet and also if the sleep test came back negative I still wouldn't qualify.
I have an appointment next Saturday with WLSG in London and will look at surgery for either November or January.

I was in the same situation hun. My BMI I think was 41.9 and I had no weight related conditions, but I had completed my 6 month dietician referral.

My referral for funding had gone in but I was told by the PCT is was unlikely to be successful, so in the end I too decided I didn't want to wait and went private. I was in and done just over two weeks later.

Hope things work out for you hun one way or the other. I know the wait can be soul destroying.

Thanks Katrine, yes I certainly will let you know x.
I think the same Karen, and even if I went on a 6 month diet with my bmi being 41.6 if I loose a couple of pounds it will take me under the qualify 40 bmi anyway!! Even though I wouldn't be able to maintain it I wouldn't even be able to be referred then, so going the private route for sure now, just need to find the right company/surgeon.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, I am looking at the private route now, enabling me to have the surgery quite quickly, even before Xmas if I wanted, which would fit it with me "must do something about my weight before I'm 40!" Typical though hubby goes into hospital for cruciate ligament reconstruction begining of December and is off his feet for about 7-10 days, then no driving for about 4 weeks, so might have to wait until after Xmas now, so now to look at best options/costs etc.
I tried the dietician route last year with the doctors surgery, it did not work at all, so can not see me sticking with something like that for six months at all.
Thanks again everyone, nice to know the support is there, I don't get it at home from my OH unfortunately, so great to know there is some here if I need to vent/chat etc.
Wendyx

Hi Wendy

I went with WLSG too if you do go donw the private route you could be done and dusted within a matter of weeks. I got to pick the best date for me but was 'done' within a month of my initial enquiry. Good luck with whatever you decide x

(((HUGS))) I met the criteria for the NHS but chose to go private after some bad NHS experiences. I had my op just a month before Christmas and I am glad I did it before Christmas. Christmas dinner was a little weird but what an amazing start to the New Year.

Hi Wendy, sorry to hear that. I had my gastric sleeve done at L&D. I meet all the criteria had bmi of over 50 and sleep apnea plus other problems, was still told I had to be under L&D for 6 - 9 months before getting on the list. If you would like someone to talk to just reply to this and I wil get in touch as I live near to you (just around the corner)

Hi Wendy. I too met all the NICE criteria plus co-morbidities. However no luck with my PCT - I waited 2 years. Ended up going private route. Hope you get where you need to be.

Back