• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Has your weight ever stopped you from your dreams?

shannon_hilder

well i have always dreamt of being in the forces, but being big all my life has always stopped me from even trying to apply for the army,navy or RAF as i know i would never pass the medical or get through basic training. Well here i am, 10 weeks post op and i come across an ad trying to recruit nursing officers for the RAF, i did a little research and it turns out i can apply ! i need to be able to run 2kms in 14 minutes, do 7 situps and 5 push ups,show a keen interest in exercise and be under the age of 49... well who would have thought that little ole me would be training to apply!!! my husband is finishing his 22 years in the Army next year and then he is studying to be a physiotherapist ... all i can say is "oh how the tables have turned". Because of my surgery i feel i have the confidence and the tools i need to finally acheive my dreams.... what are you dreams that you feel you can now acheive after your surgery ??

Amazing! And a great thread. I already have more confidence and am only 9wks out. Go get your dream hun you deserve it x

Wow shannon! Nice work.

I too have always wanted to join the army or even police. I used to love my job in sales but now im changing i know i could have any job i wanted, sky diver etc etc lol.

Good luck with application x

missdiet, i know they are always short on police.... who knows what the future may bring! x

This is really inspiring Sharon. You've brought a tear to my eye ,mate !

good luck and sincere best wishes xxx my weight hasnt stopped me having a career, but ive not needed any physical ability to do my job....

its boosted me confidence 10000000% so i feel better in myself x

You go girl ... :) I really wish you well in your career. :) You so deserve to follow your dream..I have missed out on sooo much of what I wanted to do, right from the age of 11. In fact the only thing that I have achieved that was always my aim, was to get married & have children ... well I succeeded there big time & have the most wonderful family & know that in that alone I am a winner. :):) but I still have things I want to do post surgery so will now start my bucket list that I could not even have comprehended before ... (I will leave the horseriding for a while though, as they have not got bionic horses yet) xxx :):):)

well i have always dreamt of being in the forces, but being big all my life has always stopped me from even trying to apply for the army,navy or RAF as i know i would never pass the medical or get through basic training. Well here i am, 10 weeks post op and i come across an ad trying to recruit nursing officers for the RAF, i did a little research and it turns out i can apply ! i need to be able to run 2kms in 14 minutes, do 7 situps and 5 push ups,show a keen interest in exercise and be under the age of 49... well who would have thought that little ole me would be training to apply!!! my husband is finishing his 22 years in the Army next year and then he is studying to be a physiotherapist ... all i can say is "oh how the tables have turned". Because of my surgery i feel i have the confidence and the tools i need to finally acheive my dreams.... what are you dreams that you feel you can now acheive after your surgery ??
oh thats just great! made me cry :cry: you go for it honey, im so pleased for you, make it happen :) xxx

So proud of you! Go for your dreams!

Totally. Would love another wee baby. However, with a BMI of 42 I'd never risk it coz I need to have c/sections. Would love a career change, but couldn't face an interview. Have a gorgeous pair of jimmy choos mu husband bought me - cantvwear them coz the straps won't go round my ankles. I could go on...... :(

Sadly it's too late to realise my dreams. I was a very competent musician when younger, playing about four different instruments as well as singing and writing songs for the various bands I was in. However, because of my size I had no confidence in my talent, which was backed up when I got dropped from having a recording contract at 16 because my "image wasn't marketable" - i.e. I was too fat.

Then I had my mum saying that her and my dad wouldn't support me if I went on to study music at Uni because it wasn't a "proper job" and I got so disheartened that I gave up music completely for a couple of years.

I did try to get it back later - I went to Uni at 22 to study Music and Media Management - but the spark was gone. I didn't want to be behind the scenes, I wanted to be in front of them. But I'm in my 30s now, haven't done any music other than the odd karaoke night for years and have just lost the only thing that was ever important to me.
I know, it's a bit depressing, but there you go!

Mio, can i just say never say never.... you have plenty of good years left in you, your dreams can never fade or you can never be too late for your dreams as long as you dont give up on yourself, be strong, do what you need to do and "own" your musician dreams....and when you are famous...remember my name SHANNON HILDER lol....

ive done pretty much all i ever wanted to from MOTOCROSS TO BANGER RACING GOLF AND RUGBY THE ONLY THING MY WEIGHT GOT IN THE WAY OF WAS MY DREAM OF BEING A BALLET DANCER LOL

Mio, Shannon is right! do u watch X factor? that bloke Terry Winstanley is in his 50's and he's amazing!! obviously hes not going to be a teen idol or anything, but from now on he will make a living doing what he loves, go for it honey, really!!!!!

I did actually apply to Pop Idol in the second round, but you had to include a photo with it and I never heard back. I'm not sure if it was from the photo, tbh it may be because I've had a lot of experience in the music industry and they don't want anyone who'll know all their tricks ;-)

I still do karaoke every now and again, used to be my favourite hobby and once won £300 in cash by winning a competition :-D

Apply next time round for XFactor Mio. They LURVE a good personal interest story-and losing loads of weight and morphing into a pop star may be right up their street !!

with enough confidence the world is indeed your oyster....go grab those dreams :D

Back