• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Have you joined a gym?

louisaL

looking to make a change!
Not sure if I'm getting ahead of myself!

nothing wrong with joining the gym honey :) go for it!!
personally im gonna wait till ive had my op, but if you're feeling it, do it, good luck :) xxx

I'm pre op and have started going to the gym but haven't joined and won't be until after my op just go 1ce a week but that's to try loose weight for my head if you feel ready to join a gym go for it Xx

Sent from my HTC Hero using WLSurgery

Yes but I kind of wish I hadn't as I've not gone as often as I thought I would/should. It feels like I've wasted a lot of money and end up feeling guilty for every day I don't go!

However others who have joined love it and find the time - my excuse is working almost full-time plus being a full- time carer for partner with incurable illness leaves me with little time when I feel motivated:(

That's why I just pay when I go instead of joined so I don't waste money xxx

Sent from my HTC Hero using WLSurgery

Thanks everyone! I'm currently on the milk diet and in the healthy feel mode. I have 9am-4pm off every day and weekends so can do their off peak package which is cheaper and the pool and aquaerobic classes are included which is something I love doing

Going to go tomo and have a look at a couple and see x

i havnt simply as i cant afford to go.. .but when i spoke to the dietician..she said walking is great... im walking a lot so keeping with that for now x

I have recently cancelled my membership as it was wasted money. I never went. I would rather walk my dog and do the garden now the weather has changed. I also think that my body has enjoyed the last few months of rest as I lost a lot of weight very quickly (as you do). Now I am ready to get physical again (now now ladies lol). Spring has sprung .... yipeeeee.
Lynne x

Do check with your doctor before you go. I messed up my knees quite badly for a while by not checking. I was trying to lose weight to make them less painful and achieved quite the opposite effect. Water sports are kinder to our joints but still very effective (more so in some cases)

I say go for it

I am pre op waiting for a surgery date, but I also have already joined our local leisure centre, I want to try and lose some weight and get a little fitter before my op. If you feel in that frame of mind I say go for it!!! xxx

I am 4 weeks post op and I have not joined the gym yet, I plan on going swimming 3 times a week once the consultant tells me why wounds have healed, Then I plan on getting my bike out for a ride every weekend then Gym when I want to start toning up.

Last edited:
I can't afford to go to the gym but I do 30 mins a day on Just Dance 3 on the Wii and me and my husband take the children to a park or swimming at the weekends. x

I would stick with gentle exercise whilst taking in so few calories on the milk diet plus you wont be able to go for six weeks post op so could waste a lot of money there x

I joined 4 months pre op at 27st and lost 6 stone !!
I went 3 times a week but also went swimming afterwards, if you are worred about your jonts go swimming but make sure you do push yourself each time as that is the only way any exercise will help, i started doing 20 lengths and can do 110 + now, in the gym i do 30 mins treadmll, 15-20 mins cross trainer and some resistance work for toning.
Miss going so much i treat it as ME time, roll on 4 weeks post op :)

Thank you for your replies!

flowerofshona thanks what a great inspiration.

I joined my local leisure centre which is a Beaumont Health Club yesterday and went for my induction. I was honest with them and told them all about my journey and my weight and they have designed me a special program on the treadmill, cross trainer, chest machine and an arm toner. I also plan to do 2 classes of aqua aerobics and 1 class of aqua zumba.

doing 3mins on the xtrainer today though during the induction i nearly passed out LOL don't think i'll be doing too much to begin with but it's a start.

my plan at the leasure centre is pretty much the same as yours hun, i havent been able to go since my induction though :( i hope you get used to it quickly hun xxx

Do whatever exercise you feel comfortable with, pre or post op. the exercise that you will do is the one that you should stick with.
Pre-op I avoided exercise like the plague, made every excuse under the sun to exercise.
Early post op the same. I started with a Wii and a Wii fit in my front room, great tool and private. 5 months out I walk trails when I can, each one better than the last, even have a 4.3 mile walk tomorrow , rain or none, I will do it.
I still hit the wii fit , swim when I can ( a great calorie burner and exercise tool), do my walks and now finally am looking to join a gym.
A lot of PCT's at moment offer discount at local gym and leisure centre's. Some up to 50%. Always a good idea to ask your GP or weight management team for a referral

Xxxxx

HI,
I joined the gym 4 weeks post op and go twice a week every week. I checked with my team before i joined and they said it was fine. It may be worth asking about a GP referral scheme as I got a discount on my membership and my program was put together to not cause any problems with my surgery. They also offer review days to make sure the program works for your needs. I have found it very helpful. I am not sure if they offer the GP referral in all areas but its worth asking.
Good Luck xxx

Back