• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Having an op with the band help??

lisa1983

Am due to have an emergency op 23 November 2012 this so say is the earliest time for the op to go a head as I got to not do somthink for 4 weeks before hand.
Am told I will have a local annsetic if it can be done by this. If not they will give me general
I am not worried about this but I have for 8 yr after my first son I had a 3rd degree tear having him and had to go to surgery after since then my water works are not the best sorry for being do grafic but after 8 yr they just said there now going to op this is where am worried as I have to go under general annsetic and for this I have spoken to thg today who has told me I will have to have all fluid taken out and that since it the 6 th dec this op I got to wait 3 weeks b4 a infill but that all ok but that 27 December where it will be my hardest time and I will try my best not to over eat and I don't want to put on weight I've lost help???
Also has anyone had any op where they had to have band fluid taken out?? Also how did u get on :-(

Lisa x x

Also there not going to be open of doing fill over Xmas time Bristol infill is every 2-3 weeks so I will have to fit in with them:/(

Starting to panic any advice would be gd x

Lisa x x

I had an op on my port 2 months after the original one, not only did I not have any taken out, I had a fill put in the same day :eek:

Ah, bless you!

Yes I have had four operations with my band in, three under general too.

I didnt have a defill BUT I didnt have much at all in my band and my surgeon, her team and my WLS provider knew all about my ops.

Having them all meant I took around 9 months out of my weight loss journey, what with not having fills to avoid a de fill etc but I got there in the end.

I suppose you have to weigh up (no pun intended) whats a month or so delay on your journey compared to getting the op?

Good luck sweetie xx

Did u say op was on ur port??

My op is not on my port and it nhs do I don't think they will give me a fill?

Gutted

Lisa x x

Mazza said:
Ah, bless you!

Yes I have had four operations with my band in, three under general too.

I didnt have a defill BUT I didnt have much at all in my band and my surgeon, her team and my WLS provider knew all about my ops.

Having them all meant I took around 9 months out of my weight loss journey, what with not having fills to avoid a de fill etc but I got there in the end.

I suppose you have to weigh up (no pun intended) whats a month or so delay on your journey compared to getting the op?

Good luck sweetie xx

Oh thank u I really don't want to have my fill out but if it stay in I can't have the op that I no I got to have.
I only have 4.6 in my 10 ml band am due there 6 nov for another small fill which they say to get then go back the week of 19 nov to have a d fill??
Then I got the op 23 then another 6 dec but I can't have or won't be as to get fill till earliest new year ?? I no I got to have the op and 1 I def got to have as I want to be around for my boys
But I don't want my journey to take even longer as I want to be slim ( need a magic wond) lol
Thanks Mazza

Lisa x x

Sorry but it seems very bizzare that they want you to go ahead with a fill only to have a defill two weeks later.

Give them a ring and ask if you didnt have the fill on 6th Nov would you need a defill, or are they saying they would take everything out - if so thats even more strange after a fill!? lol

You have to have the op right? you don't need a fill just to get it removed. If the worse comes to the worse it will set you back two months.

No probs xx

Even with no fill, you may still feel a bit of restriction just from the band being there, especially as the general anaesthetic and other meds can cause your insides to swell from retained fluid. I have just had two ops with thg and no fluid was removed (I have 10.25 in 14 mil band) but that was because my last fill was 4 months before the op and only o.25 mils, and because the ops were at the same hospital as I had my band fitted, so in the case of emergency I could have had a quick defill. If you think about it, the medical providers are trying to look after you (and themselves) by insisting on the defill. Your immediate health is far more important than worrying about the band/fill. Maybe put in lots of effort before the op, enjoy having no fill over christmas (still focussing on band friendly foods) then get back focussed again once the fills recommence. You may even find that a month or so of eating a bit more may shock the body and speed up the losses when you are recovered and filled again. Can you get your fill appointments booked in now for post op!?! Xxx

I have spoken to the and there still telling me to go a head with fill then have a d fill 2weeks later :-( thank u for advice xx

Back