• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Having no mobility..

clairemp

Hi,

I'm at the very beginning of this journey. I have my first appt at Worcester Royal Hospital in Friday.

My worry today is that I'm disabled and a wheelchair user. I have multiple sclerosis. I have no way to exercise properly. My legs are pretty useless. Even swimming is out.

Could surgery still work for me..? Is there anyone out there with the same kind of issues..?

I'm hoping that as I lose weight I may be able to do something, but what if I can't..?

TIA

Claire x
TI

Yes I believe the surgery will work for you if you work with it. I was immobile due to my size when I first had the surgery and lost the first 6 stone with out any exercise. Where I could up my exercise as I got further out and therefore relax my diet a little, you might have to be extra careful and reign it in as time goes on but I don't see any reason you can't lose the weight with the surgery if you follow the rules and manage your diet post op without exercise. I'm sure your team will be able to support you and hopefully someone on here who has the same experience as you will be able to share their journey. Good luck x

Thanks ShelleyMarie,

That's really reassuring..

Because of my weight, walking is really difficult. I need to walk with a walker anyway because of MS but being so heavy makes my shoulders and wrists hurt like hell so I end up using a chair.

Who knows where losing some weight will lead..

Thank you so much for replying xx

I am almost in the same situation. I have to use a mobility scooter to get around, can only stand for a very short time due to problems I have with my back. They can't do an MRI scan to see what problem is because I am too big for the scanner, I have my surgery on 16th April, and I am hoping that I can lose enough weight to get a scan. That would be my dream if by losing the weight my back problem could get sorted one way or another, this is the main reason why I am having surgery

I can assure you both that losing the weight will do wonders for pain caused by the excess weight and your mobility with improve drasticly when you've lost some. I notice it with each stone getting better and better. I was on Tramadol for my back pain and I was convinced it was nothing to do with my weight but now I'm a healthy weight I have no pain at all. It was all to do with my weight and the pain and difficulty disappeared when I got to 20 stone (from 26). Obviously when you have other problems it won't cure those but I'm still sure things will improve for you both. Even if it is just being able to move a bit more freely. Good luck x

I doubt whether you would have got this far if the weight loss powers that be didn't think it was a go-er....

I am almost in the same situation. I have to use a mobility scooter to get around, can only stand for a very short time due to problems I have with my back. They can't do an MRI scan to see what problem is because I am too big for the scanner, I have my surgery on 16th April, and I am hoping that I can lose enough weight to get a scan. That would be my dream if by losing the weight my back problem could get sorted one way or another, this is the main reason why I am having surgery

Hi Sundowners, I can get in the scanner but I have to be hoisted on to it! How exciting, your surgery is only days away. Best of luck to you and I'm looking forward to hearing how you are doing..x

I can assure you both that losing the weight will do wonders for pain caused by the excess weight and your mobility with improve drasticly when you've lost some. I notice it with each stone getting better and better. I was on Tramadol for my back pain and I was convinced it was nothing to do with my weight but now I'm a healthy weight I have no pain at all. It was all to do with my weight and the pain and difficulty disappeared when I got to 20 stone (from 26). Obviously when you have other problems it won't cure those but I'm still sure things will improve for you both. Even if it is just being able to move a bit more freely. Good luck x

Thanks ShelleyMarie, I'm dreaming about some improvements. I'm not beyond having hope and an open mind. I'm so desperate for some relief I even had a stem cell transplant in Indian a couple years ago..! X

I know your right Siana but there's nothing like hearing experiences from the horses mouth :)

Claire x

Back