• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi from Worcestershire ?

clairemp

Hello, I'm at the very start of my journey and have my first appt with the nurse and dietician from the bariatric team at the end of March. I'm 42, with a BMI of 38.5. I've just been diagnosed with Type 2 and I'm also disabled. I have MS and don't really have particularly useful legs! I'm concerned, after reading so many posts on here, that I haven't completed anything diet related and GP prescribed in the community. My GP referred me straight to the hospital and I'm not complaining but will the hospital turn me away..? If anyone has any comments re Worcester Royal Hospital I'd be over the moon to hear your views.. Claire x

Hello and welcome clairemp
cant help you with your questions but im very sure someone will swing by soon to answer in tge meantime all the very best

Thanks ladies for the welcome..x

Claire

I am live in Worcs PCT but was referred to Bham for tier 3. The reason I was referred to tier 3 was although my BMI was 42 - my GP was told (!!??!!) that my current issues were not classed as co-morbidities for WLS. So whilst I have conditions (fibromyalgia, hypertension, PCOS, pre-diabetic etc) I did not have 2 qualifying conditions...

Now why am I rambling you may ask! Well he said if I had one other condition - ie sleep aponea (which he sent me for tests for - but I passed!) then he could fast track me directly to the hospital with a BMI of 35 or more? So perhaps thats the reason?! - wow I laboured that didn't I??!!

Once I got to the hospital they told me there were 2 sorts of patient referrals - direct from GP's and then those who have been in an interim programme - such as tier 3.

For what it is worth - and it may be a load of cods-wallop they did say that if it is a direct referral from the GP there may be an extra appointment with dietitian or psychologist just to ensure the patient is fully prepared - so I guess that's to ensure whichever route - everyone get to the surgery point as well informed and assessed as is possible.

Phew - sorry to have rambled!!!!!!!!!

Hi Deb,

I'm guessing my BMI is around 38. I don't know for sure as I can't stand on the scales long enough to get weighed; this is due to my MS more than weight. I was diagnosed with Type 2 at the end of Jan.

With the changes to NICE guidance, my BMI and Type 2 was enough that my GP could refer me to WRH.

If I'm honest I'm not sure what the system is. I called the Bariatric nurse and she said I'd see her and a Dietician at this appt and that I'd see them before I saw the Surgeons. I assume that this is Tier 3?? I haven't done any weight management in Community.

As soon as I find anything out Ill post it on here for others as WRH seems quite new at this and there aren't any posts about it at all.

Hope you're moving forward with it all!

Claire :)

And I forgot to say thanks! Your explanation, rambled or not made a lot of sense!

And I forgot to say thanks! Your explanation, rambled or not made a lot of sense!
I suspect we are fairly near by - I am junction 4 of M4. So if you want to listen to my blatherings we can share tales here as we both hopefully progress ! X

Hi Debs, I'm Evesham so not too far away at all. Happy to blather away anytime! :)

Hi Claire, I've just been banded so not a similar weight loss story and not too familiar with NHS protocols but I am very local to you and know the area/hospitals etc, if that's any help?

Hi Siana,

I hope your band and you are doing well? Did you have it done privately..? How are you feeling..?

I've got an appt at Worcester Royal in a few weeks so will see how it goes from there.

I did go private, had a couple of complications but seem to be on the mend now. Lost 33lbs or so since beginning of pre op diet so well chuffed!

Glad you're feeling better. I hope things weren't too bad..?

What an amazing weight loss! I bet you're over the moon..

Where did you have it done Siana..?

I'm hoping things go smoothly with my NHS referral but could possibly consider private if things don't pan out..

Two surgeons locally that I decided to go for consultations with. Mr Super operates out of Dolan Park at Bromsgrove under The Hospital Group. He is very down to earth, possibly brusque but says it like it is. Mr Hewin operates at Winfield in Gloucester undder Ramsey Weight Loss services. With them you have prelim consultation with bariatric nurse. Both companies offer free consultation s and can be seen at weekends. I would go to Mr Super first for a reality check and honest opinion, but be prepared! I liked him though....went with Mr Hewin as aftercare more convenient in Gloucester

Back