• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Head hunger aaaahhhh!

Katieluvbunny

ive got a really bad case of head hunger today and it's driving me to distraction. Any ideas on how I can take my mind off it without eating?

Paint your nails. You can't pick with wet nails !
Have a large latte ..
Chew carrots .. My fav with homous ..

I have a sugar free sweet :) or a cup of mint tea.

Have a hot drink ...herbal tea maybe

Well done on going to the gym :) I'm not sure head hunger ever goes entirely but I think we get much better at dealing with it. Hell a few months ago I wouldn't have even really thought about whether it was head hunger, I'd have just shoved the nearest available food in my mouth.

Thanks guys, my local gym have been really encouraging and are letting me take thinks at my own pace so I don't find it too stressful.
You're right FeeBee a few months ago I would have stuffed the nearest cake into my mouth but now I'm learning that I don't need to do that so I guess that means I'm winning :)

I'm 5 months in and the head hunger is a lot better but it's still there if I'm not thinking properly and come across cakes etc .. Then it's just automatic reflex to reach out and grab without thinking .. A few times this has happened before I snap out of it ..
The hardest bit is putting those items back ! When your brain says , Awww just this once , you've done so well , have a treat .. This morning after my weigh in and I was pleased with the result , I was in a queue for my coffee and the cookie jar with these huge thick breakfast cookies was there , right in my eye line , and my automatic thought was , yes I'm going to have one , I've done well ..
It's not a treat , in my opinion , it's a sure way to wreck my weight loss plan ..
So our head hunger is always going to be there I think . We just have to learn to control it ..
Xxx

Thanks guys, my local gym have been really encouraging and are letting me take thinks at my own pace so I don't find it too stressful.
You're right FeeBee a few months ago I would have stuffed the nearest cake into my mouth but now I'm learning that I don't need to do that so I guess that means I'm winning :)

That sounds great and yes definitely winning :)

I've been struggling for a few days now with head hunger! Cleaning pisses me off too much and I have no nails lol!
Check out what emotion you are feeling. Is it boredom, sadness, loneliness, anger? Do you need a hug? Need to talk? These are all things that make me want to eat when I am not actually hungry. I find once i realise what the emotion is I can find a way of dealing with it, and the hunger goes.

Im only 5 days post op (bypass) and im hungry all the time. Am so dissapointed as it was drummed into me prior to surgery that i wont be hungry, will only tolerate a tiny amount of food and will have no desire to eat. Im feeling deprived as i still want chocolate etc but cant have it. At least on a diet u can have a blowout day. Wheres with this u cant forever. I feel i was mis informed about the affects of this and it seems one size doesnt fit all. I hope it gets better as im not that impressed so far.

I felt so bad for the first three weeks post op, I hated the liquid diet and mourned the loss of food.
I'm nearly six months post op and almost six stone lighter and really starting to notice a difference, it's not always easy, my dad died last week and I really want to turn to food when of course I can't, but I'm in this for the long haul and it does get easier just hang on in there x

Im only 5 days post op (bypass) and im hungry all the time. Am so dissapointed as it was drummed into me prior to surgery that i wont be hungry, will only tolerate a tiny amount of food and will have no desire to eat. Im feeling deprived as i still want chocolate etc but cant have it. At least on a diet u can have a blowout day. Wheres with this u cant forever. I feel i was mis informed about the affects of this and it seems one size doesnt fit all. I hope it gets better as im not that impressed so far.
It could be the emotions that are causing this. You mention feeling deprived, but it may not be the food that you are feeling deprived of but comfort, particularly as you mentioned chocolate. Try increasing your water intake. Think of the good things that the future can bring when you have lost weight.

Did they explain why you would't feel hungry? I was told (I had a sleeve), that the cells that produce Ghellin, the hunger hormone would be taken away. I don't know if this happens with a bypass as well?

If I do get hungry now then I know it is head hunger and I need to attend to that need, be it more sleep because I am wanting to eat to boost my energy levels, need a cry, a hug, or just something else to distract me.

Hope you feel better soon when you can eat a bit more.

@Katieluvbunny I'm so sorry for your loss :( x

@Tina Rogers what @SAM55 says is spot on. Surgery makes it impossible to actually eat a lot all in one go but we still have to work really hard to establish new habits and responses especially if food was always the way we comforted ourselves before the op. Believing it will work and believing in yourself is a big part of winning the battle too, for me at least.

I felt so bad for the first three weeks post op, I hated the liquid diet and mourned the loss of food.
I'm nearly six months post op and almost six stone lighter and really starting to notice a difference, it's not always easy, my dad died last week and I really want to turn to food when of course I can't, but I'm in this for the long haul and it does get easier just hang on in there x
@Katieluvbunny sorry to hear about your dad. :hugs:

Back