• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

HEAD HUNGER

gaelic girl

Loving Being a Loser
Hi Guys
I've seen "head hunger" mentioned on a few posts now and wondered if people would be happy to share their experiences of this. Is it quite common? I know at present if i get hungry i'm cranky and miserable and did'nt really consider "head hunger" post op ( one fact i missed methinks). Has this caused anyone major problems if so what are the best tips for combating it?. Thanks in advance guys xx

If it's the same post op as pre op.

Distraction.

I tell myself I've had a whole one ~not just a bite
I tell myself I don't really fancy it anyway
Then there's all that have a bath /walk /phone call
take up knitting / tetris /origami/anything to keep yr fingers busy

Write a list of stuff that might work for you

Also try and avoid/ pre-empt situations you find hard to deal with,
i.e. eat you own special food before going to a buffet/ or get someone else to fetch apropriate bits.

PS if all eals fails... it's not easy to eat with rubber gloves on

Hi i had head hunger for the first few days after my bypass then it just went away,its very rare for me to feel hungry now x x

Head hunger was a real problem for me pre-op and I didn't even know it! So post-op I learned that I feel head hunger for several different reasons during the day and each one needs to be dealt with differently.

1. Routine, when it is lunch time I used to eat even if I woke late & had breakfast 1-2 hours ago, I would eat because it was 'time' to eat. Now the routine is to wait 3-4 hours between meals. This keeps me from eating just for the sake of eating.

2. Boredom. I would be really bored and sit and think, hmm what can I make. I am a really creative cook so I would dream up elaborate things and then HAVE to make it right then. Now, I still dream up new things when I am bored but now I write the ideas down and plan to make them later in the week for a scheduled meal. Also, I browse shops on the internet when bored and find new clothes/accessories I want. I also browse for books on Amazon and add them to my wish list!

3. Thirst. I read a scientific study that said that most (70% I think) obese people can not distinguish thirst from hunger. I am definately one of those people. Now, when I think I might be hungry I grab a glass of water and drink several sips. Most of the time my 'hunger' goes away and I feel fine. Sometimes, rarely actually, it comes back in 15 minutes, then I know it is 'real' hunger.

4. Emotional cravings. These are tricky because I have always used food to soothe me. I was always given a special treat when I had a bad day. So when things are bad, I want to eat something special. Post-op I have learned a few things that 'feel' special, like a beautiful steak and I keep supplies for a steak dinner in the freezer so I can have that when I want a special meal. I still love food and enjoy eating so I think ahead and plan 'treats' for myself that are healthy, well balanced and a bit of luxury. I can still take comfort in a jacket potato cooked in a hot oven with a crispy skin, I just make sure it is a small one and use only a touch butter instead of half a stick. I feel like I have come a long way because I no longer abuse myself with food, eating until I am painfully full and loading myself up with empty calories.

It is all about learning the tricks you head plays on you related to hunger. I hardly ever feel hungry anymore, maybe a few times a week at most. I schedule my meals and snacks so that I shouldn't face real hunger very often and that really helps keep me from eating convenience food (stuff full of empty calories and fat) or eating too much.

HTH,
Nic;)

Its all about cravings I think. Prior to op I would give in to them as most of us do. Post op - for about the first 5 days I craved everything in sight, now food is something I have to remember to eat. However I do understand that this does fade and in time (6-9 months post surgery) your head cravings come back and then you have to use willpower. The Bypass is a tool not a magic wand (been drummed into my head millions of times!)but its an extremely effective one.

Great post Nic thanks for that really helpful info. I guess like a lot of people i give in to my cravings just now and will learn coping skills to help them pass. A life without choc is hard to imagine but then again choc contributed to the mess i'm in now and as long as i know that the effect of that will not be pleasant then i know i can do this "fit and 50 and happy mother of the groom" for 2011 is the goal. Thanks again everyone xx

Great post Nic and I can relate to everything in it....I also go internet window shopping or play scrabble. The thirst thing is sooo true, and I use that method now and find it works really well.;)

Back