• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Head issues, what are yours?

phatgirl

I have said repeatedly that I think that the hardest part of wls journey is getting your head sorted. I really believe that dealing with head issues is what will make you have a successful, long-term wls journey. With this thread I just wanted to find out what head issues other people face regarding weight loss & eating. Also I would like to know how do you deal with them? I'll start but please jump in!

I know one issue I have is I look for comfort from food. When I am sad/don't feel well/frustrated I go straight to the fridge. I have had to stop myself many times from repeating this destructive behavior. I have tried to make my self-soothing be non-food like shopping, surfing the net, watching a trashy film, painting my nails, taking a long bath, etc. It works for the most part but sometimes I do it without thinking 'why do I want to eat right now' and just shove a bit of food in. I realise after a bite or two that I am not hungry or needing to eat and I stop. I guess my best course of action is a daily meal plan, that way I only eat what I have decided to eat before hand.

Nic:D

I've ate my way through 2 divorces, lots of bereavements, and any other family probs that crop up:(Therefore I know i'm a comfort eater too:eek:
I think most of us on here will be Nic;):D
It's time to let rip and express ourselves, instead of bottling it all up and eating away our stress/hurt/anger:D :grouphugg:

I have said repeatedly that I think that the hardest part of wls journey is getting your head sorted. I really believe that dealing with head issues is what will make you have a successful, long-term wls journey. With this thread I just wanted to find out what head issues other people face regarding weight loss & eating. Also I would like to know how do you deal with them? I'll start but please jump in!

I know one issue I have is I look for comfort from food. When I am sad/don't feel well/frustrated I go straight to the fridge. I have had to stop myself many times from repeating this destructive behavior. I have tried to make my self-soothing be non-food like shopping, surfing the net, watching a trashy film, painting my nails, taking a long bath, etc. It works for the most part but sometimes I do it without thinking 'why do I want to eat right now' and just shove a bit of food in. I realise after a bite or two that I am not hungry or needing to eat and I stop. I guess my best course of action is a daily meal plan, that way I only eat what I have decided to eat before hand.

Hi there Nic

I know I have not been there yet...but I wonder how much of this is 'breaking old habit' and how much is 'emotional dependency'.

This is the thing that I do worry about and try to think of ways I can help myself prepare now.

I guess in the mean time while I'm waiting I will have to see what you are all going through and learn from that.

Interesting question.

(((hugs)))

That I not my bypass am going to fail (my biggest fear of failing in everything I do or try to do). I will eat everything that is bad for me - even to the point where I ordered a burger with no sauces (so I wouldn't dump) took the bread off it and tried to eat the burger, cheese and gerkin, to the point where I had to throw up (I never even ate a 1/4 of it. Its almost like my head is trying to sabotage me before I realise whats happening. Is it because I am scared of what the new me will bring both emotionally, physically and in my personnal life or is it that I just can't control my actions as I will never be happy with who I am and food is the only way I know how to be truely happy, or is it just my head getting used to the new lifestyle and new way of eating.

I had it all planned in my head that I would once my bypass had been done never eat the wrong things again. But it is not so easy when you are there and the food is is sight or you can smell it and you have a thousand and 1 distractions it is so easy to slip back into old ways. But now it is so much easier to forgive myself and get my head back in the zone, even if it is only 'til the next blip.

Last edited:
im a comfort eater too, ive put loads on since i lost my mum and by having my children i just got bigger and bigger
i had my full thyriod gland out in 2006 and have had so much trouble trying to even shift a pound and feel hungry all the time
x

I guess that thus far I have been incredibly lucky. My post bypass side effects include no appetite, screwed up taste buds and a total lack of interest in anything that I have to put in my mouth. However I am dreading the moment that all this starts to change cause thats when I feel my problems will resurface. I do have the number of a great hypnotherapist who helped me through my fear of anesthetics and that is who I shall turn to should I need to - if anyone is in London and wants his number, let me know.

That I not my bypass am going to fail (my biggest fear of failing in everything I do or try to do). I will eat everything that is bad for me - even to the point where I ordered a burger with no sauces (so I wouldn't dump) took the bread off it and tried to eat the burger, cheese and gerkin, to the point where I had to throw up (I never even ate a 1/4 of it. Its almost like my head is trying to sabotage me before I realise whats happening. Is it because I am scared of what the new me will bring both emotionally, physically and in my personnal life or is it that I just can't control my actions as I will never be happy with who I am and food is the only way I know how to be truely happy, or is it just my head getting used to the new lifestyle and new way of eating.

I had it all planned in my head that I would once my bypass had been done never eat the wrong things again. But it is not so easy when you are there and the food is is sight or you can smell it and you have a thousand and 1 distractions it is so easy to slip back into old ways. But now it is so much easier to forgive myself and get my head back in the zone, even if it is only 'til the next blip.

Terri, I wanted to tell you that I have done the 'mindless eating' that you are talking about. A few months ago I went in McDonalds, ordered a happy meal (fries, water, cheeseburger). I sat down with meal and took a few bites of the burger bread and all. I followed that with a couple fries. I then though 'WT*' am I doing? I was so shocked at myself that I scooped up the food (90% still left) and threw it all away. It was a real mindless moment for me and I realised that my head issues were just a bit buried not gone. It was a turning point for me and I feel like I made a real, forever change because of it. We shall see, it may have been one blip among many but I am more prepared for the next one if there is one.

I guess that thus far I have been incredibly lucky. My post bypass side effects include no appetite, screwed up taste buds and a total lack of interest in anything that I have to put in my mouth. However I am dreading the moment that all this starts to change cause thats when I feel my problems will resurface. I do have the number of a great hypnotherapist who helped me through my fear of anesthetics and that is who I shall turn to should I need to - if anyone is in London and wants his number, let me know.

Hi Caroline

I would like his name and number please as good hypnotherapist are very few and far between.

(((hugs)))

Hi Nic
I use to comfort eat when I was happy , sad even boredom I`m not as bad now thank God . But if I fancy something I have it because Id eat more if I don't . I use to be bulimic and I`v come a long way . Seen all the shrinks and to tell you the truth they were a waist of time I`v had better treatment on this site typing things down and getting feed back from people . This is a very good post. Take care .
Margaret xx

I am a comfort and boredom eater. I also eat whenever someone upsets me. The worst culprits for me are my ex-husband and my mother. Those two people alone will drive me to the cupboards at least weekly.

I would eat for any reason at all. happy,sad,bored and tired was the worst as i would eat chocolate and biscuit by the lorry load. ooh no not 1 bar for me not when i could eat 5. Also guilt is a big issue for me. it there is something to feel guilty about out comes my guilt stick to go into everdrive. Negative feelings, comments experiences you name i ate it.
now after my band im really trying to be nice to myself - mentally. i keep reminding myself i am good person who derserves (not been one to feel very deserving) to happy and healthy and ENJOY my life. i know this journey will not be easy and already suffered with the guilt over two tiny squares choc but i intend to make the most of it and treat myself well. i long for the day when i am confident, happy and healthy and like myself. I just hope in the time it takes to loose lbs my mindset will change too.

i just love eating!!! my problem was just never knowing when to stop!!! im quite a fussy eater as well, i dislike nearly all veg and had a real taste for junk food. im now 8wks post-op and have been fine most of the time, i even sat in a fish n chip restaurant with my mates and didnt nick any!!!. my only downfall is as disgusting as it sounds on the odd occasion(indoors only)i do sit and lick cheese doritos :D

I wish i could of said i was a comfort eater but i wasnt, what i would do was get into my mind that i fancied something and until i had had that one thing nothing i ate would satisfy me.
On thing having the bypass has done is address that issue for me knowing that i can eat so little i make sure that whatever i now eat hits the spot so that i am not craving a certain taste or texture. Also for me only eating when hungry has really helped me get in tune with my body and mind.
As i have said before because of my job it gives me the self disapline i need not to eat anything sweet or high in fat as i cant afford to be ill through dumping. Equally seeing peoples reaction to my weight loss when i see them has really helped put my head where it is. When people now say to me you look fantastic i believe them because i actually feel it. Because of my work schedual i only see certain people at work monthly or every 6 weeks so i suppose they see the biggest changes. I actually love looking at myself first naked then when dressed and the difference is mindblowing. So i am now visualising myself dressed and slim and not undressed with wobbly skin This has also put my head in a much brighter place.
great tread nic
take care
carole

Cravings, emotional eating and head hunger are interesting things, most of you will know that i advocate to "a little bit of what your fancy from time to time" - i believe that by allowing myself the occassional treat when i crave it, or for a special occassions i'm actually in control of my eating and its become easier to control emotional eating as it then becomes my contious choice to eat it. I'm also very aware of emotional eating to, i oftern just find myself with my head in the fridge looking, not quite sure why but i do it out of habbit because maybe i'm looking for something to eat when i know that really i'm not hungry or its not time to eat ! There's various techniques like placing the naughty food items in plastic boxes and putting on a high shelve that will help with emotional eating, by doing this you have to search for or go out of your way to reach those foods, then if you do realise you've grabbed the naughty jar or opened the biscuits destroy then straight away to prevent yourself going back once the food demons have niggled away at your resolve, failing that just dont buy or have that sort of food in the house - not easy if you have kids or a slim partner not having to watch there weight !

I have used food to deliberately self destruct when on the down phase of my Bipolar disorder - there by sabotaging all of the good work I have done when stable. I am to food what Amywinehouse is to cocaine!

Emotional eating:

Why It Matters

Emotional eating can sabotage your weight management efforts. Getting a handle on your tendency to eat in response to emotions can be one of the most important factors in achieving long-term weight loss success.
What it Is

Sometimes, the desire to eat has nothing to do with a pesky rumbling in your stomach telling you that you need to eat. We get a strong longing for foods -- particularly fattening, comforting foods -- when emotions spike or plummet. We want to eat and (we think) nothing else will do.

How it Happens

For some, it takes a major event to trigger emotional eating -- getting fired or going through a divorce; for others, it's a constant struggle: the traffic on the way to work; the jammed photo copier; a tough day at the office ... the daily grind can lead to a seemingly unbreakable habit of turning to food to make it all better.
A Vicious Cycle

The worst part about emotional eating is it actually causes your problems to multiply. Eventually, instead of avoiding the issues you're stuffing down with food, you've created another one altogether -- weight gain, guilt about eating, worsening health ... and then it starts all over again.
Five Steps to End Emotional Eating

If you tend to give in to emotional eating, there are a few tactics you can use to regain control of your eating habits and get back on track.

• Step One: Identify Your Triggers
    • Step Two: Recognize Hunger Signals
    • Step Three: Limit Trigger Foods Simply stop stocking your fridge and pantry with the foods you binge on.
    • Step Four: Don't Skip Meals Skipping meals almost always leads to over-eating.
    • Step Five: Create Alternatives to Eating Whether it's a bubble bath or curling up with a good book, planning other activities will help you relax and avoid binges.
Don't Give Up

When you trip up -- because you will (We all do!), don't give up. Forgive yourself and start over the next day. Learning from your mistakes and focusing on the positive will go along way in ensuring your continued weight loss success.

Cravings pause:

Saying 'no' to cravings just makes you want them more. The trick is to learn to stop after a few bites. Next time you get a craving, allow yourself a certain small number of bites of the food that you desire. This is your 'pause point.' Once your reach your 'pause point,' stop eating and assess whether you are still craving the food or are just mindlessly eating it. Take this time to put the snack away and see if you can stop the impulse.

I've only just had my op, and I'm having a really hard time not pushing at it, exploring the parameters, giving the boundries a massive prod. I'm scared I shall pull somthing apart inside, break it open. I know it's too early to be eating anything but mush but I have this utterly stupid side of my personality that just has to test everything to distruction.

This was my biggest fear pre op and it still is post op I'm scared I'll blow it, big time to smithereens! I should have told the surgeon to coat it in titanium!

TBH I feel like a stroppy teenager, Maybe I should go and see Carolines hypnotherapist!

Taking control:

The average person makes about 200 food decisions a day. Thinking about food constantly and deciding what we want to eat makes us hungry. Plan your daily meals, drinks and snacks ahead of time. If you spend less time thinking about food, you will make fewer bad decisions. Make a point to make all your food decisions in advance. Don't let yourself wander through the cafeteria, pantry or menu asking, "What sounds good?" For one week, make all the decisions at least a day ahead and stick to them.

Back