• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Lessons Learned: What are yours?

phatgirl

You have probably seen many people on here say that the wls journey is a learning curve, etc., me included. But how about we actually list some of those lessons. This is open to pre-oppers also, band, bypass, sleeve, DS, balloon, whatever. Once you start down the wls path you tend to learn things about yourself, about the world & about eating. So lets get this rolling:

What is a lesson you have learned??

That no one else is to blame for my weight problem no matter what excuses i make it boils down to the fact i have not been disciplined enough to consistantly eat small portions/exersice and maintain a weight loss

that babies cry when they have trapped wind for a very good reason!!!! my trapped wind has been killer sometimes this week....I will never look at my grandbabies again the same way:eek:

that food nutritional values should be taught at a young age, if i knew what i know now when i was growing up i wouldnt of went from being an obese child to an obese adult, i just hope more children of this new generation are being taught the valuess of food and can make better food choices when they become an adult, the key is start the way you mean to go as if we dont our next generation of kids will be also using this site in say 10 years time looking at the prospect of wls.

liz x

I think there is much more info for youngsters now. The main worry is that they don't become obsessive, restrict themselves too much, or worse are restricted too much as children and then go overboard as adults.

its all about starting them of with a good healthly life style as if that happens they dont know any different and know what foods by the time they reach adulthood to have in moderation, children follow there parents examples and that rubs of on there own choices how to live there lives once they fly the nest.

should have never drank 4 pints of full fat creamy milk a day when I was pregnant and put 6 stone on then perhaps I would still be a size 10/12

I learned to never, ever stand in the fridge door and graze. Wow, I felt so sick the first time I did that post-op I will never do it again!

that everyone telling me "your tall you look fine" was actually a lie lol

Ha! I'm with you on that one.

Plus, Babies cry because of wind and they probably cry more because of the gripe water. Does it taste like petrol mixed with peppermint oil to anyone else?

Seriously though, I have learned so far to withdraw from food. While I am well (I have serious Bipolar Disorder) I am trying to get myself to a place that food ceases to be a habit and so when unwell ( downward cycle), I don't immediately stop caring and sabotage myself as usual. Thats what I'm aiming for anyway.

... and all the others - broken biscuits have no calories, nor do food eaten when standing up! also breathing in whilst you eat!! lol lol sorry but all those sayings have been banded about at various points - never a truer word spoken in jest etc!!

I have learned to be careful how much weetabix i eat. If you eat to much it fills your stomach up all day and when you try to eat anything up it comes.:cry:

To eat quality not quantity and enjoy and savor every mouthful of food, make sure you taste it and feel satisfied not stuffed.

I have learnt to enjoy what passes my lips (in moderation) and not to feel guilty over every mouthful.

while ive been on this milk and yog diet ive learnt that i used to rush food, and not taste it, but now i truely savour every last spoon of yogurt and try and make it last as long as possible! LOL

Back