• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Heart set on looking good for 30th!!

Amberleigh

Hypnotherapy/counceling???

Hey everyone. Im new to this site and this is my first post. I have my heart set on either a gastric bypass or a sleeve as ive tried every diet going the past 10 years and now am at my biggest weight ever without being pregnant. My family supports my desision however will not give me their full support untill ive tried every option b4 going ahead with the surgery. I'm guessing any of you that have tried hypnosis or counceling have failed or else you wouldnt have opted for the surgery however i just wondered if any1 that tried the other option could give ne their opinions on them. Thanks x:confused:

Friends tried a hypno band which worked for a bit but not hugely. Not tried it myself so beyond first comment can't be much use sorry, & welcome to the site.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks, ive looked at a couple of reviews for the hypnosis and have to say they dont seem great. Now im worried that i want this surgery so bad that i am destined to fail at anything else i try because if i lose 1 or 2 stone trying other things i wont be big enough for the op but still be big enough for my size to upset me

I had hypnotherapy it gave me tons of confident but didnt help me loose weight same with counseling huni and every diet going, xxxx hello and welcome xxxx

Hey all, im amber and just joined today. After struggling with my weight since my First pregnancy 10 years ago im now fatter than ever. Ive wanted surgery for years but now reaching my highest ever weight of 18stone and numerous failed diets i have decided now is the time. Im desperate for either the sleeve or the bypass. I have just turned 28 and im sure i have more lines on my forehead than most girls my age. Also inherited mums grey hair at 15 genes so as im certainly not getting and younger i want to try and look good for my 30th in 2 years time :) Good luck to all those on ur weight loss journey. Hopefully i'll get the goahead and will be joining you all soon :D

Hi Amberleigh and WELCOME! I have recently joined myself and let me tell u that u have come to the right place! Everyone is so helpful and supportive. You will gain a lot from the advice and experiences people share through this site. I am starting my pre-op diet now as my surgery is in two weeks time. I'm having a bypass after much deliberation. It's the best option for me. Where are you at on your journey? X

I'm still just at the fat stage lol. I have wanted this surgery for years but its always just been a dream. This time its proper set in my head, im talking to family members and actually have brochures etc. My family are begging me to try councelling and or hypnosis first b4 going under knife which i have agreed to just to shut them up and keep them happy lol. I have little faith that they will work so as soon as i fail on them it will be a great big "i told you so" and "uve all just wasted time when i could have been losing weight" and ill be booking my first appointment with consultant. I would really like the sleeve or the bypass. After that i will be booking op for asap. Just that little matter of finance to sort out aswell haha. Im sure itll all be ok. Hubby will have to get a second job ;)

Have you spoken to your doctor to see if you qualify for NHS surgery?
I got my band fitted in nov last year on NHS and it is the best thing I have ever done. My mum was the same, offered to pay for hypnotherapy and counselling and dieticians, you name it. Now my mum thinks its brilliant and the making of me. I turn 30 next year and after spending my teens and my 20s fat, I can't wait for how active and glamorous I will be in my 30s!! :) x

No i havnt even asked my doc. They seem really scrict down here. I asked for info bout tummy tucks a couple years back n my then doc said "i can tell you now they will say no, they never agree". Thats kinda put me off asking but as im seeing him this week for advice on councelling etc i will mention it. I dnt even think im fat enough for nhs funding, im only 18st at 5ft6 so dunno. They normally like u to be stuck in bed with only way of getting to hosp is using a crane b4 they seem to agree lol. Even then ive heard that the waiting lists are really long. I dunno, spose i can only ask cant i? The worst thing that can happen is having to pay myself and i was prepared to do that somehow :) I see your half way to goal, well done and keep up the fantastic work x

Well I am 6ft1 and was 20.5 stone, my bmi was 39 I think. Even when I was in for my surgery the nurses kept saying "you're too small to be in here" but, i have battled for so many years and my doctor has seen me go through it. See another doctor if you are unhappy with yours. I wrote my doctor a tearful letter and when I went in to ask him, he said he thought it was a great idea without seeing my letter! :)
It's always worth a try, I can't fault the NHS!
And thanks, I'm getting there! This last fill has made a world of difference!!
Good luck! X

See that where we prob differ,although my bmi is now 42, i have a new doctor so he hasnt even seen my struggle. Even my last doc didnt, apart from having to have my gallbladder removed. I will try use that to sway him lol. Im not holding my breath but i will try :)

Hi Amberleigh, I'm 42 now and waiting for my bypass, I wish I'd done something about my weight in my 20's or even my 30's instead of letting it yoyo constantly and always putting on much more than I'd lost.
Lots and lots of luck on your WLS journey!
Em xxxxx

Amberleigh, reading through some of the other posts, it seems a letter is a good idea. I wrote one because I thought I would be too upset to verbalise my feelings on the matter, it seems it is also suggested as a way to document all the ways you have tried to lose weight. If your doctor can read that, maybe he will consider you for it! I would always say exhaust every effort with the NHS before you go private! X

Hi yeh i may just do that. Trouble is i'm really shy and just the thought of having to ask the doctor makes me nearly have a panic attack lol just incase he says no. Im such a wuss. I need to toughen up!! :)

Yeah, I'm quite lucky that I'm the opposite of shy, but, it's quite an awkward issue to discuss. I'm sure you've watched embarrassing bodies? Just think of all the weird and wonderful and disgusting things that doctors discuss and see every day, and really if you think about it, asking for help to get yourself fitter will be welcome respite :)

Yeh you are right. Ive been to the doctors for much much worse things. Some could have prob been put on embarrassing bodies lol so just askin for help should be a walk in the park campared

Hey Amber, Why not start on a high protein -low carb diet now. The surgery is only a helping hand to weight loss . Pre-op I lost 17lbs in 3 weeks, if you start now you may find that you don't even need the expensive surgery.

If I had known then what I know now about diet and excerise. I probably wouldn't have needed it in the first place.

The thing with the surgery is that it helps to keep the weight off once you've achieved your goal due to restriction. Hope this helps but why put off until tomorrow what you can do today.

Victoria x

Ive done low carb/high protein diets b4 and although i know it works i get bored after so long. Then when i some off i will pig out, and put weight back on twice as quick. I need to take being able to pig out out of the equasion. I know all about what i need to eat and exercise its just having the will power to stick to :)

Amberleigh said:
Ive done low carb/high protein diets b4 and although i know it works i get bored after so long. Then when i some off i will pig out, and put weight back on twice as quick. I need to take being able to pig out out of the equasion. I know all about what i need to eat and exercise its just having the will power to stick to :)

I have tried every diet under the sun and I had the same experience as Amberleigh. The low carb/high protein was the most effective but did not last. The Wls will help to keep that wait off and will help to keep those binging pains away. But there is a mind set you have to put yourself in for long term success after the surgery regarding your relationship with food. And starting to get your head around it now will help when u are successful in your quest for WLS! X

Back