• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Gastric Bypass Story - Whittington Hospital - 26th March 2010

oh you poor poor thing. How are you feeling now. You really have been through the wars. I am actually lost for words and dont know what to say, except thank you for being brave and sharing your story. Take strenght from this site as they are a good bunch of people and will help you through until you feel better.

Sending big hugs

LISA I HAVE JUST READ THIS THREAD.......sorry yuou have been through awful experience, but thank you for letting us pre-opers know about your story..i hope by now your begining to feel much better x

Lisa,

I was at the Weight Loss Surgery Support Group held by The Whittington Hospital last month and heard you speaking about your experiences. I just wanted to thank you for sharing them.

Regards, Ade.

artful-s-life-quotes-70.jpg
hugs102.gif

Thanks to everyone who left comments in the last week or so. I hope you found my story interesting and useful x

yes very usefull - sorry you had to suffer so much to be able to share it with us though, hope your not regretting it so much now that your past halfway to meeting your goal! well done on your weight loss! scary stuff! glad im not going to that hospital allthough i havent found any whos had their op at derby.
all the best im sure it wont be long before your at your goal weight xxxxx

Lisa, just came across this thread. I'm sorry you had to go through all these all by yourself. Hope you're feeling much better now. I'm having my surgery in the same hospital on the 3rd Dec. and at least I know what to expect when i get there.

Lisa what you went through is really bad and totally un-neccessary, I would urge you to write a letter to the head of the hospital, if not for yourself but for other bypass patients to come, I work for the NHS and I feel totally appallled at the treatment you recieved, obvioulsy complications and being unwell can't always be helped, I know this, I am a complication in the making!! But I know with all the ins and outs of hospital Ive had, I have only got through by being cared for by the lovely staff at the hospital i go to, it is definatley not acceptable to be treated the way you have.... I can only Hope that you are able to put this bad experience behind you and go on to a successful and Happy new You...... Hugs

So sorry you had to endure this...:(

But glad you are now on the mend...in all ways.

I understand how you feel about seeing another patient suffer, whilst I was in Ashford a woman opposite me crashed (not sure what surgery she had had) and sadly she died.

The other women on my ward were offered no comfort or support either. They just drew the curtains, cleared the bed and went about their duties.

I was shocked but I guess it happens to them all the time and they are sort of blind to it..but for patients, it's scary.

Maybe something more should be done....maybe more of us should complain.

Lisa, when my OH was there a fortnight ago, you could not fault CCU they are fantastic, he was then put on Victoria ward, where he was just left to get on with it, they didnt help him wash or dress, he had an allergic reaction to the morphine so ended up ripping his skin open and got a nasty sore on his bottom. The problem i found is they were too busy, they would give you lip service but nothing else. There were just not enough staff on and i really feel the surgical wards do not know enough about bariatric patients, he was offered jelly and icecream the first night on the ward, it was a good thing i got up there every day to sort him out as he also had the sickness and still does and is on a very strong anti nausea medication, so sitting in sick really is not pleasant and with drips and canulars its difficult to do it yourself. As you said it is such a shame because the bariatric team there are fantastic its just the wards that let them down.

Hi there simsiola, I'm having my op here too under mr sufi, who are you under if you don't mind me asking..
Best of luck with ur journey .
Hugs xx

Hi purplefluffy, my consultant is mr. Heath.

Really struggling with the ongoing liver diet but hopefully as the days are rolling by the due date would come by quickly, so i can get it over with.

Hi siimisola, hopefully you will get into the swing of pre op diet soon. Just keep reminding yourself it's so worth it plus look at all the weight you will lose before your op. :)
Simi was you offered a choice of two pre op diet's you would like? or was there only the one option?
I'm due to see Monica on the 7th December do you will have had you op by then ..
Hugs x

Hi there simsiola, I'm having my op here too under mr sufi, who are you under if you don't mind me asking..
Best of luck with ur journey .
Hugs xx

Hi siimisola, hopefully you will get into the swing of pre op diet soon. Just keep reminding yourself it's so worth it plus look at all the weight you will lose before your op. :)
Simi was you offered a choice of two pre op diet's you would like? or was there only the one option?
I'm due to see Monica on the 7th December do you will have had you op by then ..
Hugs x

Not really. It was after she gave me the liver diet booklet, that she told me that some people go for the 'slimfast diet' without eating anything. But i prefer the one she gave me. Although, one has to get the portions right, even though i'm so used to eating in big portions already.

that is truly a dreadful experience. Hope all is going well for you now hun

Hi Lisa, i've just cried reading your story, at the point where you said you cried and cried when your dad came and i would be exactly the same i thought of my own dad.

well done on your fantastic achievments!! x

Simi, I think I got mixed up I thought you were just on fluids as in milk/slimfast but your on a food type of diet is that right? Could you explain what it is & also what a daily meal plain would be please.
Thanks.
Hugs xx

Breakfast
1 carbohydrate portion
1 dairy portion
1 piece of fruit

Lunch
No carbohydrates
2 protein portions
2 vegetables

Dinner
2 carbohydrates
1 protein portion
1 vegetable portion
1 dairy portion

Some of the portions are weighed in with teaspoons.

You're allowed 2 pieces of fruit per day.

Back