• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Heinz tomato soup

Nanny Og

I'm just getting ready to eat something and really fancy tom soup. Is it ok?

don't see why not give it a try just sometimes bit gritty at back of the throat u can only try and c if it suits your pouch. xx

I still enjoy Heinz tomato soup , I think I remember someone saying they dump on it so maybe try watering it down alittle to be sure ? I enjoyed it before and after bypass . Hope you still enjoy x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I still eat this sometimes and havent had any bother, just see how you go x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using WLSurgery

it went down no bother : )

i have half a tin now and then and add milk to it to give it extra protein x

it went down no bother : )
gOOD thats what you have to do try things and if they no good wait a week or so and try them again your body does a djust I have struggled with fish and tuna but have had cod last week and this and it has been fine so just goes to show our pouches are as picky as us xx

Hi

Of all the soups Tomato is the worst one to have, it's got a very high sugar content that you dont want to eat for a few reasons.

Number one is it will hinder your weightloss because of the sugar
Number two is because of the high sugar it might make you very I'll, (dumping syndrome)
Number three you might be one of those who unfortunately don't suffer from dumping.

Why is that a problem, it's because one of the ways that a gastric bypass works is through aversion therapy, if you think eating something might make you very I'll you just might never eat it, if you find out that you are one of those people who don't dump because you tried something with a high sugar content then the aversion therapy won't work and you may well end up eating high sugar foods again and end up putting you weight back on.

Without dumping it's very easy to eat a bar of chocolate after bypass.

Don't eat high sugar foods in case it makes you I'll and in case it dosen't make you ill which is much worse.

The same can also be said about alcohol as well.

If you are not careful you end up consuming large amounts of chocolate and wine and then wonder why the weight is going back on.

Stay away from both, they are the devils food, along with crisps, especially walkers cheese and onion crips.

Paul

Last edited:
That's very interesting Paul. I am at the very start of my journey but it's something I will certainly remember. Surely the sugar content is on the can though! :)

Hi

Of all the soups Tomato is the worst one to have, it's got a very high sugar content that you dont want to eat for two reasons.

Number one is it will hinder your weightloss because of the sugar
Number two is because of the high sugar it might make you very I'll, (dumping syndrome)
Number three you might be one of those who unfortunately don't suffer from dumping.

Why is that a problem, it's because one of the ways that a gastric bypass works is through aversion therapy, if you think eating something might make you very I'll you just might never eat it, if you find out that you are one of those people who don't dump because you tried something with a high sugar content then the aversion therapy won't work and you may well end up eating high sugar foods again and end up putting you weight back on.

Without dumping it's very easy to eat a bar of chocolate after bypass.

Don't eat high sugar foods in case it makes you I'll and in case it dosen't make you ill which is much worse.

The same can also be said about alcohol as well.

If you are not careful you end up consuming large amounts of chocolate and wine and then wonder why the weight is going back on.

Stay away from both, they are the devils food, along with crisps, especially walkers cheese and onion crips.

Paul

WOUld this be the same for the cans of weightwatchers tomato soup?

Jamast said:
WOUld this be the same for the cans of weightwatchers tomato soup?

They must surely be lower in sugar?? Lol

Blind leading the blind lol

Just googled it, Apparently the weightwatchers tin has 8g sugar per tin compared to a tin of ordinary heinz tomato soup which has 15.6g sugar in a 300g can

ive been told before that tomatoes are too acid for post op tummies, just like citrus fruits and pineapple

Last edited:
I enjoyed so much that's my favourite flavour has well so when I could carry on eatin I was well chuffed. Hope u enjoy hun xx

I tend not to eat canned soup I just fancied a different taste. It will be a once in a blue moon thing if I have it again

See, my team are really clear about one thing - that this is not a diet. We should have treats *occasionally* and eat out and all the rest of it, because the whole point is that we are eating to live now and no longer living to eat. So our lives should continue, but healthier and better.

So I strongly hope I don't dump, can eat sweets, but lose the craving for them.

Can I just add ...
As people who have read my previous posts will know , I am now 14 weeks post op ( bypass ) , and things have not gone according to and I am stuck at the moment on a diet of soup , yogurt , and weetabix .. And I personally have JUST HEINZ TOMATO SOUP !! ... It's the only soup that I can tolerate without being sick !!! .....you name the flavour , and I have tried it !! And I have found that the other flavours that have bits in them , I.e Mushroom, chicken, oxtail etc, make me sick, so to be honest I am not bothered what the sugar content is , I am just grateful that I can eat it !, by the time I have my emergency appointment it will be 17 weeks that will be just over 4 months on tomato soup , and I have lost 94 lb so far !

Jamast said:
Just googled it, Apparently the weightwatchers tin has 8g sugar per tin compared to a tin of ordinary heinz tomato soup which has 15.6g sugar in a 300g can

I felt ill after a few sips of some from Greggs the other day. That was the ordinary way. My stomach was burning and I felt nausea.

Maybe I will try weight watchers one then :) Thanks x

I felt ill after a few sips of some from Greggs the other day. That was the ordinary way. My stomach was burning and I felt nausea.

Maybe I will try weight watchers one then :) Thanks x

I didn't like the taste or texture of the WW ones. I now get Batchelors low fat condensed soups, chicken, tomato and mushroom. They are delicious and lower in fat and sugars. Plus I can use them in stews and hot pots to add extra flavour and it thickens them without the need for flour, gravy granules etc.

Adding the tomato one to dry fried mince makes a brill base for pasta or cottage pie etc:)

Extra Quick Low Calorie Tomato Soup

72 Calories 1.6g Fat. This soup is cheap, tasty and takes 10 minutes.
Minutes to Prepare: 2
Minutes to Cook: 10
Number of Servings: 8

Ingredients

• 2 Medium Onions
    4 Garlic Gloves
    4 Cans of Chopped Tomatoes
    1 Pint of Stock (Your preference)
    1 Tbs Dried Basil
    Low Calorie Fat Spray/Olive Oil

Directions

1) Dice and fry onions and garlic until golden brown.
2) Pour in 4 cans of chopped tomatoes, bring to boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
3) Pour in 1 pint of stock, bring to boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
4) Add 1tbs dried basil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5) Optional: Blend for a smooth texture.

This recipe makes 8 servings and can be frozen.

Hope this helps for those who can't get on with Heinz etc. Also can add some cream cheese to thicken and proteinise!

Back