• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Preparing post op food, need help

charlie_pops

So I'm busy making my ice cubes of various things, I have mash, veg, mince, and chicken. If I bought a tin of Heinz spag Bol nd blended it would that be ok?? As that's the only spag Bol I like also what about Heinz tomato soup??

Hi it doesn't say what surgery you're having :) if its bypass you may dump on tomato soup etc and for first couple of weeks it'd usually liquids only even blended comes later :) ask your team what they recommend and if your surgery is so soon they should've given you post ops diet so you can be prepared :) good luck x

hiya, im having a bypass. i got a sheet with my pre op diet and a seminar on what not to eat :s like bread and nuts. they just said i should prepare a range of purée food post op.

Rake lane is puréed as soon as you come out. However most people dump on tomato soup so they tell you to avoid it. You should be looking at yogurt blended soup and plenty protein blended.

i agree with angie i still cant tollerate anything tomato and im 10 weeks post op x

Had a small helping of strained chicken soup last night - ok with it, so I'll have another now. :)
Been buying groceries online and have got fish/ parsley sauce type products, chicken/ gravy type products in. Plenty of shredded up protien is what you need.

My hospital says a pint of milk a day in the early wks because that is where they think we will get the most protein from because we cannot eat enough food. So milk and no added sugar crusher

I don't drink milk or eat fish so think ill struggle with the protein side. I've learnt pretty much everything off here they never mentioned half the stuff at my appointments. What soup did u get?

Charlie protein is the most important thing to get inside us for life after the surgery. You may get away with having only a little in first few weeks but you really do need to make sure of your amounts required. Good luck with your op x

I used to puree my meat with the veg from sunday lunch then you lnow you getting fresh veg and protein. low fat custard good protein, yoghurts liked the petit filous small pots are all u can manage at first, I used to like the big soup chicken n veg that tin used to do me 3 or 4 servings hwen I 1st came home used to puree it up, mashed potato with cheese, in the early days you need it quite runny because it will stick otherwise, the protein helps th ewounds heal in side and give you energy, the water keeps the wounds in side clean, so both of them need to be going in, at 1st seems like all ya doin is eating n drinking, with 1/2 hour between food n drink. Like being a baby needing feeds. Soon flies by though, take it easy n dont try to rush things. fish in the parsley sauce is nice with a little mash. If you make your own stew or casserole puree that, i used to keep a portion of my sinday lunch each week in pots 1 for each day so thta I knew that one meal had veg and protein in one less to worry bout. x Just takes time to get your head round things fresh fruit veg and meat is always the best option though cos you know exactly what has gone in it, unlike tins x

Stick to any lean white meats but extreme small portions, they all blend up with added gravy etc. Everyday now I'm hearing my dear old mum saying 'Eat your vegetables'. Now is the time to broaden your taste buds and try things you'd normally not try, in my case broccolli, cauliflower, spinach etc...all packed with vitamins and blended in with chicken and mash - not too bad.

IMPORTANT POINT - Don't try to finish the meal, when your pouch is full, it hurts!

Hi all,

i'm 10 weeks post op - had the gastric bypass and have only just managed to eat soft foods, i dont think i eat enough tho.....i dont have hunger pangs or the need to eat but have to force myself to eat and try to get enough protein to keep me going...i have literally been living on weetabix, egg custard tins (baby food)and 2 crackers with low fat cheese.....i try to drink a pint of milk and a pint of water with added fruit juice every day...but i take my forceval n calcium tabs religiously... Thinking of buying protein shakes so i have enough protein but it is a case of re adjusting ur taste buds and eating things which will benefit your body rather than filling up on junk that is of no nutritional benefit to the new stomach or ur body :) .... Ah the sacrifices we all are making but at least we will see results in the way we look and feel.......new beginnings people!!!! Xx

Going to try some pureed low sugar/ salt baked beans and mash for my dinner later. I'll let you know how it all goes. I'm finding those Actimel drinks a godsend, nice for a snack and keeps everything fluid. Sugar fee jellies too, peps the mouth up a tad.

Milk is important, water is important..keep urself hydrated as u will notice dry skin very soon... Not good, u know us women lol....

I've been racking my brain for a few days now over a little thought in my head...i wonder if i can get some plausible answers.....here goes.....if my new stomach is the size of an egg and i can manage to drink a pint of water (juice added)....oh have to mention in small sips but can have the whole pint....where does it all go???? Maybe i should go on confused.com lol ....hmmmmm????

lol i thort water went to your bladder and not stomache, shows how dumb i am

I don't drink milk or eat fish so think ill struggle with the protein side. I've learnt pretty much everything off here they never mentioned half the stuff at my appointments. What soup did u get?

You can add a tsp of skimmed milk powder to your food before pureeing it. That will help boost your protein and you can't really taste it.

As for water and juice, they just pass straight through your pouch. That's why you can drink the volume in small sips.

Back