• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hello 8-)

lisa x

is very happy!
Hi...my name is Lisa i live in Northamptonshire.
I am 35 have 2 wonderful children and a very sportive partner.
I have just found this site and finding it very informative.thank you.:)
For years my G.P has laughed me out his office every time i have asked for surgery.
I lost 5 stone on xenical oristat before i fell pregnant with my son...but 6 years later and a stone a year gain here i am.
Anyhow my diabetes Dr saw me in tears last week(after learning i had gained another stone since the year previous!) long story short, he offered to apply to the pct for me.:D
He rang this morning asking questions regarding this form.Then as soon as he realised I smoke(don't beat me up here I know its bad) he said he couldn't do the form until I quit smoking for 6 weeks,and proven I had seen the dietitian!!
I feel like I have fallen at the first hurdle again.
My bmi is 48.4 and have diabetes so I know I hit the criteria.
Anyhow I will stick around getting as much info as i can.
It does appear alot of you guys got this surgery on the nhs.
At this moment in time I am seriously considering going private. (just have to figure when I can get some money..) :eek:
The nhs route seems so long and hit and miss..i dont think i could go through all there hoops only to be told no.After all I wouldn't be asking if i wasn't desperate huh??
I would love to hear from anyone in my area who has gone through this..nhs or privately.
thanks for listening to my story
Lisa x

Hi Lisa
I'm not in your area, but just wanted to say welcome to this fab site.

Alot of us on here have had to go through the weight management route to get to the end goal.

My surgeon also said that he wouldn't do the op if I didn't stop smoking, which I did for 4 months before the op (started again 10 days after :eek:).

It's so worth it and if it's only a 6 week course with the dietician before he'll refer you it's not too long. I know the wait for the op will be longer but if this is something you really want then do the course & grab some nicotine patches.

This surgery has changed my life for the better, 5 stone gone in 5 months. I'm loving my life now, going out more, doing more with my family & for myself.

hi..thank you Gail..wow 5 stone in 5 months...wow!!!
i have to have stopped smoking for 6 weeks before he will even fill the form in...the dietitian will be 6 months i assume like everybody else. I have seen dietitians over the years with regards to the diabetes,but to be honest i have never found them much help.
Hearing 5 stone in 5 months make me feel more confident that this is the route i have to take one way or another.We would like to have another baby but at 35 and my size and complications my clock is ticking...hence why I am thinking private....we will just have to see...
thank you x

With the dietician's I think you just have to demonstrate that you can loose some weight. There are a few people on here who had to loose a specific amount i.e. 5% before they went to the next stage, but mine was just 6 months & any loss was a bonus.

I think others who have gone private have had surgery really quickly, like 4 weeks from 1st consult or quicker. The NHS route can be any length of time depending on how ofter they move the goal post!

Wishing you good luck in which ever route you take x

Hi Lisa and welcome to the most informative site on the net!

I would advise you to do as the doctor suggested. The risks of smoking and having surgery are not good. You will recover better and have less risk of infection if you can stop it now!

As you say your own gp has laughed you out of his office whenever you've asked before. Your diabetes doctor will refer you if you jump through his hoops.

This is your chance to regain your life and very very possibly put your diabetes into remission... Don't let these hurdles stop you.

Oh yeah and if you can get it on the NHS just think of all the money you'll have for new clothes?

If it helps i've lost a stone by day 13 post op :) Feels flipping marvellous and it's only just begun xx

thanks phatmomma.
I know i have to quit smoking(my other half will be pleased he has been begging me to quit for years!!)
I am deadly serious that this is the route I have to take and if i have to quit then bring it on.i have an appointment with the gp tomorrow.
I have spent all day trying to work out where i can pull money from to go private...lol .

:welcome2:Hi Lisa , I just wanted to say hi and welcome this fantastic site ! Good luck with your wls journey.

thanks for all the replies ladies.
looking forward to reading all the information thats on here.
it really is helping me.

Hiya, just wanted to say hello and welcome to the most fantastic supportive site, where everyone is just so friendly and helpful. Really want to wish you luck on your journey xxx

Hi Lisa, just wanted to welcome you and let you know this is a great site for info, good luck on your journey

Hi Lisa,

Just thought I'd say hello and welcome to the forum. It's an amazing site with tons of info, healthy recipes and other resources. I have spent endless hours browsing round and getting into trouble at home for not getting jobs done!

I'm also in Northamptonshire, and started on the NHS route for banding surgery, however soon realised that although i may be able to jump through the hoops over time, I could still wait two years getting through them and still not be guaranteed surgery at the end of the weight loss programme. I have since decided that private was the way forward for me and am now booked to have my lap band on 24th July. I am so excited and a little nervous, but am confident in the surgeon and fully understand the surgery.

I wouldn't want to persuade you either way, as at the end of the day it has to be a decision that is made by you and purely for your reasons, and also there is the question over funding if you decide to go private.

I hope you think carefully about the future and wish you all the very best in whichever route you decide to take - keep us updated! :)

thank you mike.
I am really not in a position to pay private but i haven't got time on my side.
banding or bypass???i haven't seen anyone for which would be best for me.(although think bypass)
how far along the nhs treadmill did you go through before you made you decision to go private.
nice to hear from someone in Northampton,it gives me a bigger picture of what is coming.
good luck with the up and coming surgery, lisa x

Hi Lisa
I am from Northamptonshire, I had a gastric sleeve 2 weeks ago today at Luton and Dunstable who were outstanding along with the surgeon DR Dartac who was also amazing, also this was funded via NHS, (worked all these years lol, it was nice to get something bk this was my first ever op) i did have a choice of hospital either Birmingham or Luton.
don't hesitate if you want to know more mail me hun

hi linda. i am glad you got your surgery. how is it going. i have a ton of questions.will email a few to you.
lisa x

hi lisa, i'm northants aswell (wellingborough) and my daughter lives in northampton.
i'm off to work at the mo, but will answer your post tonight.
sue.

hi sue.
i would be interested to hear what you have to say with regards to the funding. i am in Irthlingborough.so i know we would be under the same umbrella so to speak.
off to see gp this morning to get some further information.just hope i am not pushed out the office again like so many times before.
lisa x

hi Lisa. good god Lisa, your just down the road to me. i go to rushden & diamonds car boot most Sundays.
both myself and my daughter had a very understanding GP, infact it was his idea that i went for it, and we got our funding
in just a few weeks. then we had to choose between Birmingham or Luton, we went for Luton because it's easier to get to.
it took me one year to get my op. my daughter had a few problems with an eating disorder and had to wait a little longer, so it will take her 20 months from funding to op.
anytime you want to chat please do not hesitate to get in touch.
good luck.

Back