• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello

Gippa

Hi all.

My name is Steve and I am from Durham.
Just wanted to share my long journey and ask for some advice.
I first went to the seminar in Sunderland in 2010 and weighed in at 22 1/2 stone.
I then had all the tests, ultrasound, endoscopy etc. and was told that I would be listed at the next meeting.
I had lost nearly 3 stone by this time and was getting nervous (this was late 2011). I waited for the postman but nothing came, I foolishly waited a couple of years and went back to GP to ask him to get in touch with them. Again nothing.
I rang them myself in October 2014 and then a week later an appointment letter arrived. I saw Mr Schroeder in November, he was very apologetic and told me that I had somehow got lost in the system and he told me he would try to get things moving again. Unfortunately I had crept back up to 21 1/2 stone.
True to his word I had ultrasound in December and endoscopy in January.
Had a phone call last week, I have my bypass on the 27th of this month.
It has been a whirlwind of a few weeks and I am very nervous but I suppose looking forward to it, and a new lifestyle.
If anybody could give me a little advice on the pre op diet i.e. what is it?
I have not received it from the dietician yet and I am starting to panic
I will probably be asking more questions as time goes on.

Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve :welcome:

Fantastic news for you! It does sound like a manic start to the year but way to go!!! Lucky you didn't have to start all over again.

Sorry, I can't help with any tips for you as I'm at the very beginning of my journey - got my first appointment next month - but I just want to wish you all the best with your surgery and I look forward to hearing how you get on with your journey..... You've found a great site here where you will get lots of support, help, hints & tips :)

Good luck :)

Hello and welcome Gippa
dont panic about the pre op we all have to do it it seems like each PCT have different LSD( liver shrink age diet) 1 is milk based another is a low cal one at least thats the 2 ive heard of just type them into google or speak with your support group
I picked the 1000 calorie a day one for 4 weeks as I couldn't face doing the milk diet or the slim fast diet for 4 weeks, im too much of a wuss just to live off slimfasts or gallons of milk !
Good luck

Welcome Steve. Good luck with everything. Different areas seem to have different pre-op diets. A lot of people mention the milk diet but they haven't mentioned that one where I live. I'd give them a call if you haven't heard from them as a guess you should be starting it very soon. Exciting! :)

Good luck. I' m not too far away from you x

Good luck and well done for chasing it up, so bad that! All areas have different pre op diets so get in touch with your dietician if you have no appointment before op. X

Ive just had surgery at Sunderland the LSD I did was;
2/3 pints of milk,
1 bowl of vegetable soup ( no potato or pulses)
2 diet yoghourts
3 pieces of fruit.

There was also am alternative for diabetics
This was 10 days pre op x

Welcome Steve - 27th February isnt long now is it - yikes!! I am sure they will give you the version of the liver shrinking diet (LSD) your hospital want you to follow fairly soon as I thought it was often for a couple of weeks for many before the op. Some people dont have to do LSD so even that is only a speculation on my part! Anyhow - just wanted to say well done and good luck :)

Thanks for all the repies and good lucks.
I have got the diet at last which is the milk diet as posted by sally1. I am starting it tomorrow as I have my pre op appontment and checks on Wednesday and have just spent a week working away and have put 3lbs on (bad lad) so need to get it off before then.
How did the op go and how hard is it post op sally1.

Thanks for all the repies and good lucks. I have got the diet at last which is the milk diet as posted by sally1. I am starting it tomorrow as I have my pre op appontment and checks on Wednesday and have just spent a week working away and have put 3lbs on (bad lad) so need to get it off before then. How did the op go and how hard is it post op sally1.

I'm 17 days post op, I was honestly surprised how well I felt once I'd slept the anaesthetic off. Post op I'm doing well (I think!) no pain and slowly getting my head around post op food and I can honestly say I'm happy with it and pleased I did it

Pleased all went well for you and you are happy and on your way to a new life.
How long are you having off work, I have told my employers at least 4 weeks but not really sure. I suppose it depends on what type of job you do.

I work 14 hour shifts always on my feet so thinking 8 weeks as I'm surprised at how tired I get after the surgery, I've been told this is normal until the body adjusts to the new calorie intake. I've been lucky my boss is very supportive

Hi
Going for pre op checks tomorrow. Have been on LSD since Sunday. Finding it ok as I like milk but must admit I am missing something a bit more substantial. My wife is making plenty of chunky veg soup so that keeps me going. Day 3 and have not strayed or cheated yet.

Hi
6 days to go, have lost 10lb on LSD just hope liver is shrinking.
Having a bad day today, grandaughter eating pancakes with golden syrup, smells lush.
Going upstairs out of the way.
Only 3 more days to work then admited on Thursday ready for Friday.
Cheers
Steve

Been for blood test today and platelets are low so have had an injection to try boost them up. Keeping fngers crossed. Last day at work tomorrow ready for Admision on Thursday. Getting nervous now.

Good luck Gippa, got my fingers crossed for you. You're bound to be nervous, but they know what they're doing. Focus on day one of your new, healthier life. Let us know how you get on, when you're up to it :)

Good luck Gippa, just think, this time next week you'll be on the other side and on the way to a brand new you x

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using WLSurgery

Well, on a downer at the minute, feel gutted.
Wheeled down to theatre only to be told op was postponed until later today, then told to go home and come back tomorrow for op on Sunday.
Hope it goes ahead, nerves been through the wringer today.

Back