• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello all, i am Kerrie :-) NEW

kerrie_75

Got my letter this morning saying that my referral had been approved, and my first appointment is on 6/6/2014. Very excited about getting started. I just wondered if any of you people have done the Tier 3 stage, and would like to know what to expect really first hand really. I'm under the spire hospital, Southammpton. Though my clinic appointments are in Winchester :)

Hi there :)

I did 6 months of the tier 3 thing at Spire Southampton but I'm from Poole. But my surgery will be done at Bournemouth Hospital. The people at Spire are great, so you're in good hands. I was asked to keep a food diary, and to be honest with it. I wasn't told off if I ate something I shouldn't, so I didn't feel judged. What I found was that most of the things the dietician said I already knew, but in my case the psychologist helped me the most. I saw the dietician 6 times, the psychologist 5 and the exercise therapist once.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask me and I'll try and answer x

Hi there :) I did 6 months of the tier 3 thing at Spire Southampton but I'm from Poole. But my surgery will be done at Bournemouth Hospital. The people at Spire are great, so you're in good hands. I was asked to keep a food diary, and to be honest with it. I wasn't told off if I ate something I shouldn't, so I didn't feel judged. What I found was that most of the things the dietician said I already knew, but in my case the psychologist helped me the most. I saw the dietician 6 times, the psychologist 5 and the exercise therapist once. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me and I'll try and answer x

Thankyou for your reply. Very useful information and advice...How long is the wait for the surgery after the 6months on the Tier 3 program? I'm really looking forward to this journey, it's been a long time coming. I know it won't always be easy, but it's a bit like "seeing some light at the end of the tunnel".

Have you felt you have learnt a lot on the tier? Has it put you in good stead for the surgery? Did you manage to lose weight on the program? What happens with regards to maintaining the weight loss from finishing on tier 3 and surgery...Sorry,,,questions question x

Well I finished tier 3 in February, and have been to a seminar and met my surgeon, and have another appointment in a week, so haven't got a surgery date yet. I was told usually takes 18 weeks once you're on the waiting list, which I'm not sure if I am, but I'll ask. I did learn a lot, I feel more confident and more stable. During tier 3 I only lost a few pounds, then gained them and lost again... Though I was a few pounds lighter than when I started, and because of that they recommend the surgery. They usually aim for at least 5% of excess weight loss. From what I've been told, as long as you follow what the tier 3 people say, they'll be happy to recommend the surgery and that the PCT tends to go with what they say. Bear in mind they'll also want to check you're mentally prepared for it, so be as honest as possible with the psychologist.

When I saw the surgeon last month, I was a couple of pounds heavier and was told in a polite but firm way the more I lose before the surgery, the better.

hello Kerrie!
welcome to a great site.

Hi Kerrie just wanted to say hi and welcome:)

Last edited:
hi and welcome

Welcome :)

Welcome Kerrie x

Hi all, I'm new to all of this and I've seen a lot of people doing "tier 3" what is this?
I haven't had to do anything other than since jan I've seen the surgeon, dietician and psychiatrist and received a letter on Saturday to say I'm on the waiting list and they aim for it to be within 18 weeks of seeing gp. Is this my initial referral from my gp in November? Or my first hospital app?
Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi Kerrie and welcome.

Lauren, I thought the 18 weeks was from referral for most ops, but as most of us are referred about 1 year before the op, I think its more likely from being put on the waiting list. Different providers go by different rules though. I was put on the waiting list on 10th January and had my op on 15th May.

Ok brilliant! Thanks, I know when I met the surgeon he said the list was roughly 8 weeks but during the process it seems like they are getting much busier!
I'm under st George's hospital but under Kingston upon Thames PCT.

Hi all, I'm new to all of this and I've seen a lot of people doing "tier 3" what is this?
I haven't had to do anything other than since jan I've seen the surgeon, dietician and psychiatrist and received a letter on Saturday to say I'm on the waiting list and they aim for it to be within 18 weeks of seeing gp. Is this my initial referral from my gp in November? Or my first hospital app?
Thanks!!

Lauren25, the operation (surgical obesity treatment) is called tier4. Tier3 is all weight loss programs which are ran by hospitals. As you were referred back in nov 2013 the rules in kingston area were that if your bmi is 50 and more you can get referred straight to tier4 obesity treatment. Hope that helps.

I think the rules might have changed now for new referrals.

Oh brilliant thank you!
That was good timing then I see some peoples journeys are years I'm very grateful that at six months mine is nearing op day!

Hello kerrie.
I have done the weigh ahead at the spire I finished it in march, was a six month programme,I lost 24lbs,
It's all about portion control,and re programming the way you think,.
Surgery is not always a end results,it wasn't recommend for me as my evolution after the six months,,I was sooooooo upset,went back to my doctor with my concerns, she referred me back,I had my consultation yesterday,booked in for mini by pass in September at the spire.
Everyone seems to be really friendly there at southampton,my consultant asked me when I wanted the op.it was a relief to talk to someone who understood me.keep in touch.

Back