• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello...and surgery date close now!!

RachJayCee

Hello everyone!
I've been reading lots of your posts and diaries and as I now have my surgery date, I thought I'd join in! (Firstly I want to say that I think this site is excellent because you're all so supportive to one another and it's also very informative so it's a win, win on here!!)

Basics; I'm 44, a medically retired nurse, have had the normal weight up, down, up, down problems and last year I decided that I needed something more drastic to get my weight in check as I was spiralling out of control. My current weight is 125kg and I'm 5'2" which equals a BMI of 50. something.......
I've been through the six month programme (I know different areas have various timescales) of nutritionist & psychologist but couldn't do any gym work because I'm physically disabled with a degenerative disease in my spine plus arthritis has joined the party in my pelvis and hip too!! I've also got nerve damage to my right leg (from multiple prolapsed discs & subsequent surgeries) so have to wear a leg/foot brace, am on two crutches all the time and to finish, I've got severe chronic pain!! Sorry to bore you with all that!!
Anyway, back to something a little more relevant......like I've said I've done the six months, saw the surgeon in May, pre-op was July and surgery is 12th October.
My surgeon is Mr Kelly in Southampton. I've chosen the milk LRD because it's soon much easier for me and I start it Wednesday next week.
I'm excited, nervous, intrigued and relieved it's finally going to happen!

So that's my 'introduce yourself here' bit done and now I'm going to continue reading through others' posts picking up hints, tips & tricks and I plan to start writing my own diary too.

RJC x

Laaux

Hello everyone!
I've been reading lots of your posts and diaries and as I now have my surgery date, I thought I'd join in! (Firstly I want to say that I think this site is excellent because you're all so supportive to one another and it's also very informative so it's a win, win on here!!)

Basics; I'm 44, a medically retired nurse, have had the normal weight up, down, up, down problems and last year I decided that I needed something more drastic to get my weight in check as I was spiralling out of control. My current weight is 125kg and I'm 5'2" which equals a BMI of 50. something.......
I've been through the six month programme (I know different areas have various timescales) of nutritionist & psychologist but couldn't do any gym work because I'm physically disabled with a degenerative disease in my spine plus arthritis has joined the party in my pelvis and hip too!! I've also got nerve damage to my right leg (from multiple prolapsed discs & subsequent surgeries) so have to wear a leg/foot brace, am on two crutches all the time and to finish, I've got severe chronic pain!! Sorry to bore you with all that!!
Anyway, back to something a little more relevant......like I've said I've done the six months, saw the surgeon in May, pre-op was July and surgery is 12th October.
My surgeon is Mr Kelly in Southampton. I've chosen the milk LRD because it's soon much easier for me and I start it Wednesday next week.

So that's my 'introduce yourself here' bit done and now I'm going to continue reading through others' posts picking up hints, tips & tricks and I plan to start writing my own diary too.

RJC x

Hello and welcome @RachJayCee :)

Are you having the sleeve?

It will be your surgery date before you know it. Good luck with the LRD, it is a struggle but it’s worth it.

I look forward to hearing how you get on and if you need any advice, give me a shout x x

SAM55

Welcome.

Sounds like you have a lot going on health wise!
Hope your LRD goes well (first couple of days are the worst and then you get used to it) and surgery will be here before you know it.

Maria61

Hello everyone!

RJC x
Welcome and good luck xx

Bling Babe

Welcome and good luck in your journey, look forward to reading your updates, you really do have a lot to cope with with all your health problems,hopefully the surgery and subsequent weight loss will help with the symptoms of some of them, good luck with the milk, don’t forgot to try the hot milk and chicken OXO, it’s sooooo nice,very runny chicken soup really,I loved it, good luck xxx

RachJayCee

Hello and welcome @RachJayCee :)

Are you having the sleeve?

It will be your surgery date before you know it. Good luck with the LRD, it is a struggle but it’s worth it.

I look forward to hearing how you get on and if you need any advice, give me a shout x x

Hello, yes it's for a sleeve how could I forget to put that bit in!! Milk diet started this morning, 1 pint gone already. I love milk so the drinking of it isn't a problem I'm just worried about the reported headaches and probable boredom but it's has to be done. I haven't slogged the past 13 months to fail now........
Thanks for the offer of advice & info, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions nearer the time.
RJC x

RachJayCee

Welcome.

Sounds like you have a lot going on health wise!
Hope your LRD goes well (first couple of days are the worst and then you get used to it) and surgery will be here before you know it.

Time always goes so slow when you don't want it to and vice versa! I'm counting down the days but have quite a lot to sort out so that will fill my time!
RJC x

RachJayCee

Welcome and good luck in your journey, look forward to reading your updates, you really do have a lot to cope with with all your health problems,hopefully the surgery and subsequent weight loss will help with the symptoms of some of them, good luck with the milk, don’t forgot to try the hot milk and chicken OXO, it’s sooooo nice,very runny chicken soup really,I loved it, good luck xxx

Thanks for that tip, I'm vegetarian but will try a veggie Oxo and see how it is. Sounds lovely already!
RJC x

Hannah2

Hi @RachJayCee and welcome! Sounds like you have a lot to deal with! Hopefully the weight loss will help give you some relief/ make life a little bit easier for you.

Good luck with the lrd! You can do it - I relied on lists of why I wanted surgery, what my aims were afterwards and photographs of me that I hated - I put them up in the kitchen to keep me focussed!

Laaux

Hello, yes it's for a sleeve how could I forget to put that bit in!! Milk diet started this morning, 1 pint gone already. I love milk so the drinking of it isn't a problem I'm just worried about the reported headaches and probable boredom but it's has to be done. I haven't slogged the past 13 months to fail now........
Thanks for the offer of advice & info, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions nearer the time.
RJC x

It is tough for the first few days but after that it just becomes routine and it’s quite nice not having to think about what to eat as you know you’re just having milk! Good luck x

RachJayCee

Hi @RachJayCee and welcome! Sounds like you have a lot to deal with! Hopefully the weight loss will help give you some relief/ make life a little bit easier for you.

Good luck with the lrd! You can do it - I relied on lists of why I wanted surgery, what my aims were afterwards and photographs of me that I hated - I put them up in the kitchen to keep me focussed!

Good idea, thank you!

RachJayCee

It is tough for the first few days but after that it just becomes routine and it’s quite nice not having to think about what to eat as you know you’re just having milk! Good luck x

That's a very good point! The only planning is ensuring there's enough milk in the fridge- the four pint cartons look quite daunting but I've had two pints already today and it's one of my rest days so on my gentle activity days I'll be drinking even quicker. I've always enjoyed drinking water but the two half pints I've had as well tasted so refreshing after the milk.
RJC x

Bling Babe

F
Thanks for that tip, I'm vegetarian but will try a veggie Oxo and see how it is. Sounds lovely already!
RJC x
unny how we are all different, when I first read about it, not on here though, I thought it sounded disgusting but something in my head kept telling me to try it, it ended up being the highlight of my day for r weeks xx

Bling Babe

Sorry 4 weeks !

Jillybean8

Hi Rach,

Good luck with the milk/yoghurt. I'm in Spain and I wasn't given that option. Just the Optifast sachets which you actually get given from the hospital pharmacy. I'm on day 3 and having horrible headaches. Hopefully more water will help.
Anyway - good luck!

Jill

Hello everyone!

RJC x

RachJayCee

Hi Rach,

Good luck with the milk/yoghurt. I'm in Spain and I wasn't given that option. Just the Optifast sachets which you actually get given from the hospital pharmacy. I'm on day 3 and having horrible headaches. Hopefully more water will help.
Anyway - good luck!

Jill

Hi Jill
We don't get the luxury of yogurt in our LRD; it's milk, water, an Oxo drink and a portion of sugar free jelly each day.
It's quite interesting that different hospitals and their surgeons have different LRD plans isn't it?
How are you getting on with the sachets? Are they palatable enough to get you through the two weeks??

What date is your surgery?
RJC x

Jillybean8

Surgery date is 17th October. A week tomorrow!
I've done Cambridge diet before so I can cope with the sachets OK.
I'm having a soup morning and night and a vanilla and a chocolate one during the day. i did cheat on the first day and have a pickled onion!
Yes it's really odd that the different hospitals are so wildly different in their plans. I think the sachets are probably easier for me to stick to as I am sure if I could have chicken and veg etc I would go overboard and have too much.

Maria61

Surgery date is 17th October. A week tomorrow!
I've done Cambridge diet before so I can cope with the sachets OK.
I'm having a soup morning and night and a vanilla and a chocolate one during the day. i did cheat on the first day and have a pickled onion!
Yes it's really odd that the different hospitals are so wildly different in their plans. I think the sachets are probably easier for me to stick to as I am sure if I could have chicken and veg etc I would go overboard and have too much.
Good luck ladies xx