• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello, Any one else having a gatric bypass at the nuffield in taunton?

Mines mr welbourn too!! And I went there on the 13th!!! How cool. I was impressed too, even tho he was in a rush to catch a train that day so only had about 10 minutes with him. So when will you find out your date for the op? I am the pre op diet atm and it's been surprisingly OK. Have you got much to lose? I weigh about 18 to 19 stone ATM!

Hey, oh cool, he's my surgeon too! And I went on the Wednesday (13th) are you having your Op on Tuesday then? How you finding the Pre Op diet?

Haha he came to see me on the 13th too. It was the day after my op and he just came to check on me because he was off to London that evening. So he needed to be sure all was okay with me before he went :) I'm feeling really good actually. Not in any pain, and don't seem to have any gas pain at the min. I do get tired very easy though, so just taking it easy. I went tescos for an hour last Sunday and I was fine. So going a little further tomorrow - going to TK Max and Matalan for Christmas ideas. So that will be a real test!
How are you finding things?

Can't believe I'm talking to someone who has had it done at the same place and surgeon!. Glad you are feeling well, hope it continues. What are you having as your liquid diet??
That's right, he was in a rush to catch a train so I only saw him for 10 mins max!.
Was the hospital nice to stay in? I'm in exeter, where a bouts are you?

It's great that I am talking to some body who has had the same surgeon and hospital! I thought it was going to be mainly USA people but there is a lot of Brits on here too. Glad I joined now.
Glad things are going well, bet you are glad the op is over and starting your new life. What are you have for the liquid diet? Was it painfully after the op? (You can be honest lol)
What was the hospital like to stay in?
That's right, he was wanting to catch his train so I had about 10 mins with him.
I'm doing ok just a bit nervous really. The pre op diet is hard at times but I know I've got to do it so I'm sticking to it. I'm in exeter, what part are you?

Can't believe I am talking to some one who has had it done at the same place a surgeon.
Glad you are doing well so far! I bet you are glad the op is over and starting your new life. What liquid diet did you do?
Was the pain bad after the op? (Be honest lol)
Do you feel hungry still? (Sorry for questions)

Was the hospital nice to stay at?
That's right, I only had about 10 mins with him cause he was in a rush to catch a train.

I'm in exeter, what area do you live?

Haha he came to see me on the 13th too. It was the day after my op and he just came to check on me because he was off to London that evening. So he needed to be sure all was okay with me before he went :) I'm feeling really good actually. Not in any pain, and don't seem to have any gas pain at the min. I do get tired very easy though, so just taking it easy. I went tescos for an hour last Sunday and I was fine. So going a little further tomorrow - going to TK Max and Matalan for Christmas ideas. So that will be a real test! How are you finding things?
Not sure why it's not letting me reply to you.

I'm near Crediton so just down the road really :)
I was given two different diets to follow one said one week liquids the other says two weeks. So I did a week of liquids, jelly, cups of tea, milk, squash. And then for the second week I've added one or two puree meals, so a little of mash potato or ready brek, then in a few days I will go on to purée properly.
How's your pre op been going?
4 days isn't too long away you excited?

I'm near Crediton so just down the road really :) I was given two different diets to follow one said one week liquids the other says two weeks. So I did a week of liquids, jelly, cups of tea, milk, squash. And then for the second week I've added one or two puree meals, so a little of mash potato or ready brek, then in a few days I will go on to purée properly. How's your pre op been going? 4 days isn't too long away you excited?

Ah I see, do you get the hungry feeling still?
Was the pain after the op really bad? (Be honest lol)
Oh blimey, this pre op diet is tough at times, even more so when my kids play up and ild normal reach for the biscuit tin. Or tonight when I used to have wine and a takeaway. It's something I'm going to have to get used to it I guess. Il really nervous but excited.

Was the hospital nice to stay in? What time did you go down roughly? I have to be at hospital for 8am.
Sorry fir lots of questions

Ah I see, do you get the hungry feeling still? Was the pain after the op really bad? (Be honest lol) Oh blimey, this pre op diet is tough at times, even more so when my kids play up and ild normal reach for the biscuit tin. Or tonight when I used to have wine and a takeaway. It's something I'm going to have to get used to it I guess. Il really nervous but excited. Was the hospital nice to stay in? What time did you go down roughly? I have to be at hospital for 8am. Sorry fir lots of questions

That's okay ask all the questions you like and I will answer the best I can :)
Nope never hungry XD I have to keep reminding myself too eat, and because I'm not in any pain or discomfort I have to keep reminding myself that I can't just eat anything :/
When I woke up I was in recovery with no pain at all after 10 min of being awake I was about to fall asleep and they asked if I wanted more morphine, they said they didn't give morphine when down in your room so I agreed to have some more. I got to the hospital at 7am as I misjudged the journey. They said I would go to theatre at 9:30, though it was more like 10. I was awake at about 1ish and back to my room at 3. To show how little pain I was in I was up and going to the bathroom as soon as they put the lock on my beds wheels. Still had quite a bit of morphine in me though. And they do give IV paracetomal as often as they can for the first day. Sleeping was a pain though as they have a cuff on one arm that blows up every 30 min and pulse monitor on your finger of the other arm, to complain about that shows it wasn't complaining about pain! Haha the following day it was just discomfort, the wind pain it felt like I had done 1000 sit ups! The only thing I struggled with was drinking, I even had to leave hospital with anti sickness tablets as I would start heaving when I could smell other peoples food! It wasn't too good, but honestly I didn't have any pain, I even stopped taking painkillers about 3-4 days post op.
I know how you feel about food, biscuits and doughnuts where my thing and would always have a kebab or pizza on a Friday and a Chinese on Saturday while watching X factor. Thankfully the Chinese is shut for a month so that kind of stopped me thinking about it :)
The hospital was really nice, own ensuite and the staff where really nice! When you get there you have a congratulations card and a little bag with moisturiser and lip balm and soap an all sorts of stuff. Your own tv, and as many pillows as is needed to make you comfy! If your anything like me, I sleep best on my side, so they move pillows to resemble a chair that means you can sleep on your side :)
I'm honestly so happy I went to Taunton as they made the whole thing easy and simple, and once the drip was off it was nearly a holiday - kind of. Haha

That's okay ask all the questions you like and I will answer the best I can :) Nope never hungry XD I have to keep reminding myself too eat, and because I'm not in any pain or discomfort I have to keep reminding myself that I can't just eat anything :/ When I woke up I was in recovery with no pain at all after 10 min of being awake I was about to fall asleep and they asked if I wanted more morphine, they said they didn't give morphine when down in your room so I agreed to have some more. I got to the hospital at 7am as I misjudged the journey. They said I would go to theatre at 9:30, though it was more like 10. I was awake at about 1ish and back to my room at 3. To show how little pain I was in I was up and going to the bathroom as soon as they put the lock on my beds wheels. Still had quite a bit of morphine in me though. And they do give IV paracetomal as often as they can for the first day. Sleeping was a pain though as they have a cuff on one arm that blows up every 30 min and pulse monitor on your finger of the other arm, to complain about that shows it wasn't complaining about pain! Haha the following day it was just discomfort, the wind pain it felt like I had done 1000 sit ups! The only thing I struggled with was drinking, I even had to leave hospital with anti sickness tablets as I would start heaving when I could smell other peoples food! It wasn't too good, but honestly I didn't have any pain, I even stopped taking painkillers about 3-4 days post op. I know how you feel about food, biscuits and doughnuts where my thing and would always have a kebab or pizza on a Friday and a Chinese on Saturday while watching X factor. Thankfully the Chinese is shut for a month so that kind of stopped me thinking about it :) The hospital was really nice, own ensuite and the staff where really nice! When you get there you have a congratulations card and a little bag with moisturiser and lip balm and soap an all sorts of stuff. Your own tv, and as many pillows as is needed to make you comfy! If your anything like me, I sleep best on my side, so they move pillows to resemble a chair that means you can sleep on your side :) I'm honestly so happy I went to Taunton as they made the whole thing easy and simple, and once the drip was off it was nearly a holiday - kind of. Haha

Funny you should say that, I'm looking forward to the break too. Terrible isn't it haha
It's great to hear of your experience. My doctor was trying to put me off having the op and my partner is not all that keen about it so talking to you has really boost my confidence, thank you.

I'm about 18 to 19 stone ATM, how much have you got to lose (if you don't mind me asking) ?

I

My doctor wanted me to have the op but refused point blank to put me through for it as a bmi of 46 wasn't high enough :-/ but my family have all been okay with it so I've been lucky really. I'm sure once every one sees how well you will be doing they will soon back you :)
I started the pre op at 19st 4pounds, I lost 8-10 pounds on the pre op and as off this morning (1 and a half weeks out ) I'm 17st 6pounds. So 2 pounds off 2 stone already, which I am over the moon at! Not able to see the difference in clothes yet though as my abdo is still swollen :-(
I was hoping for a 2 stone loss for Xmas but now I'm wishing to be in the 16stone bracket for the first in a very long time! :)

My doctor wanted me to have the op but refused point blank to put me through for it as a bmi of 46 wasn't high enough :-/ but my family have all been okay with it so I've been lucky really. I'm sure once every one sees how well you will be doing they will soon back you :) I started the pre op at 19st 4pounds, I lost 8-10 pounds on the pre op and as off this morning (1 and a half weeks out ) I'm 17st 6pounds. So 2 pounds off 2 stone already, which I am over the moon at! Not able to see the difference in clothes yet though as my abdo is still swollen :-( I was hoping for a 2 stone loss for Xmas but now I'm wishing to be in the 16stone bracket for the first in a very long time! :)

Omg that's so good! Well done. The weight loss is amazing. We have about the same to lose then.
Did you follow the pre op diet the hospital gave you? Or the milk diet? I'm doing the hospital diet, following it by the letter but still worrying in not "shrinking the liver" lol.
Do you know how soon after you can drive and start exercising?

Omg that's so good! Well done. The weight loss is amazing. We have about the same to lose then. Did you follow the pre op diet the hospital gave you? Or the milk diet? I'm doing the hospital diet, following it by the letter but still worrying in not "shrinking the liver" lol. Do you know how soon after you can drive and start exercising?

Thank you :)
I did a mixture of hospital diet and slimfast, so I did two slimfast breakfast and lunch, and then a chicken breast and potato for dinner, so I had something to chew on. The last day I just had three slimfast to minimise what was in my stomach. Afterwards he said the operation went well just a couple of bleeds but he said that is very common. But I didn't think my liver was shrinking, but I did realise I had more trips to the bathroom which is supposed to be good sign. :)
I went out on Sunday for about 5 hours which was fine, no pain whatsoever but I was very tired so had half hour lay down and all was fine :)
You can do light walking as soon as comfortable but can't do much more -such as the gym until the 6th week/your follow up with mr welbourne. They also advise not to drive for the first two weeks/ until you can do an emergency stop without hesitating, or until your insurance says.
I've lost track of the days, I thought today was Tuesday so was going to wish you luck. Now I realise it's Wednesday so your probably in recovery, so hope all went well!! Let me know how you got on :)

Back