• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello Everyone. A newbie with a question.

Hippobiker

I'm a 46 year old man with a lifetime history of weight problems. I have lost and put it all back on too many times to remember. My current BMI is in the 40's.

Last week I had a routine appt with my GP regarding my high BP and blood test. I have managed through diet and exercise to lower my blood sugar from 7.9 to 5.8, which the GP was very happy with. However the weight loss has been very slow and out of the blue HE suggested I should consider having a gastric band fitted. He is going to refer me to a Professor at Queens Hospital Romford (I'm in Havering PCT). The GP said he will see me again in about 6 months and by then I will have probably would have had the op.

Having the GP suggesting it and saying it will be done in 6 months. Is this normal?

Sorry for rambling on. This all has taken me by suprised a bit. :)

Hi Hippobiker (loving the name),
Welcome.
To be honest, I would just go through the whole procedure of whatever they ask you to do, without having a goalpost in sight until you get an actual date for surgery.

Having the GP suggesting it and saying it will be done in 6 months. Is this normal?

All hospitals have different timescales, from referral to op. At the Whittington my waiting time was 16 months .... but halfway thru my journey someone told me if I swapped to UCH in central London their process time would only be 6 - 8 months (however I had been on the Whittington list 8 months by the time I found this out -- so not a lot of point changing by then).

I don't know what the Romford hospital you mention's waiting times are like .... perhaps someone else on here might.

welcome and good luck biker :) (refuse to call you hippo) :rolleyes: lol xxx

Thanks for the welcomes and advice. I will wait and see what happens.

I will now jump on my bike and motor through the rest of the post on the forum...please look both ways while viewing different threads. :D

Back