• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello Everyone "Newbie"

cath123

Hello to all,
Hi I'm Catherine, new to this site... came accross this site whilst looking for Gastric band problems I have had a gastric band fitted around 4yrs ago everything has been fine until last year for some unknown reason i found myself not being able to eat or drink i was admitted to hospital where they released the band but still for no reason i found i still couldn't eat or drink eventually i found after a while i could sip water but the doctors could not give a reason why this had happened? :confused: after this episode i found myself locked in a fight with the P.C.T because they said that they would have to go to the panel to see if i could have funding for a re-fill...... how ridiculous can you get :mad: they said they wanted to know if that a refill would be suited for me as i now lost the weight so carry on as you are i explained that i lost the weight due to the band, eventually they agreed and i had a 3ml re-fill in my band but i have no restriction at all and now my consultant is trying to write me off stating it is a band failure and well get on with it :( but since reseaching this topic i have found other people on here have had band failures but what is a band failure???? is it that the consultant is saying in a polite way that i'm eating too much and that is why you are not losing the weight?? because i'm not eating too much i'm eating sensibly and under dietician's instructions as well, please can someone tell me and help me as i feel totally miserable:cry:

Hi and :welcome:to Minis. I'm a bypasser but didn't want to read and run. There are lots of banders on here and I am sure someone will be along to help soon.

Hello to all,
Hi I'm Catherine, new to this site... came accross this site whilst looking for Gastric band problems I have had a gastric band fitted around 4yrs ago everything has been fine until last year for some unknown reason i found myself not being able to eat or drink i was admitted to hospital where they released the band but still for no reason i found i still couldn't eat or drink eventually i found after a while i could sip water but the doctors could not give a reason why this had happened? :confused: after this episode i found myself locked in a fight with the P.C.T because they said that they would have to go to the panel to see if i could have funding for a re-fill...... how ridiculous can you get :mad: they said they wanted to know if that a refill would be suited for me as i now lost the weight so carry on as you are i explained that i lost the weight due to the band, eventually they agreed and i had a 3ml re-fill in my band but i have no restriction at all and now my consultant is trying to write me off stating it is a band failure and well get on with it :( but since reseaching this topic i have found other people on here have had band failures but what is a band failure???? is it that the consultant is saying in a polite way that i'm eating too much and that is why you are not losing the weight?? because i'm not eating too much i'm eating sensibly and under dietician's instructions as well, please can someone tell me and help me as i feel totally miserable:cry:

hello cath and firstly welcome to minis, im also a longer term bander of just over 4 years.

if your surgeon is writing it off as a band failure then why ? is the band itself actually faulted ? if so then being a nhs patient like myself , they would have to replace it, mine was faulted and it was replaced.

some surgeons dont like failure stats on there books so try to avoid replacing bands.

you say u have a 3 mil fill in the band now, if the band did have a fault it wouldnt hold the fill anyway and would slowly leak out hence no restriction.

stand your ground it sounds like its faulty, make them check it out as they have responsability of care towards you the patient.

liz x

Hi Liz,
How did they know yours was faulty?? I have already had a barium swallow 3 months ago to check if it was in place correctly and it was but would this show if the band was leaking??

Hi Liz,
How did they know yours was faulty?? I have already had a barium swallow 3 months ago to check if it was in place correctly and it was but would this show if the band was leaking??

they found out with the last xray fill in my old band, it had a couple of problems the fill tube had came away from the band end so fills couldnt be given this was breaking down over a course of time, the band had a fracture in it, i knew there was something wrong as i found myself eating larger portions.

they confirmed then that it was defect and i could even see it clearly on the screen, and they said i would need a de banding op as it was knackered.

a barium meal wouldnt show a slow leak.

they de and rebanded me last august and all is fine with the new band.

Hi Cath just want to say WELCOME to minis and i'm really sorry to hear of your experience with your band. I see Liz is helping you out and she is excellent with advice and common sense:)

I know your in a dark place just now but i'm sure everything will work out for you.

Take care hugs with fairy dust i'm sending you to bring you a smile :)

Hi Catherine and :welcome2:to mini's . I'm pre op for band so can't help much but you've got Liz and she's the lady who will be most useful and informative for you. Good luck and I hope you get your band sorted.
xxxGaynorxxx

Hi Catherine, sorry I can't help with your problemo am awaiting bypass surgery but your in good hands with Liz and anyone else on the forum for that matter.

Just wanted to say Hi *waves*

Hi Catherine

Welcome to Minimims, I too am awaiting my band but I am sure you will have and have had lots of good advice. Hope all is well with your band. I was just about to say try not to put on any weight getting stressed over the band but then thought if you maintain they may say you don't need a new one if there is a fault??!!

Thinking of you x

Hi welcome to mini's as a bypasser i can't help with your question, but liz is great with info on bands so i am sure you will get sorted in no time. Good luck with getting the band replaced and finding out what is really wrong with it

Back