• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

HELLO EVERYONE

BlueDiamond

Good morning everyone,

I do not know if this has been discussed on the forum before but has anyone who is a bander ever been trained to fill/defill their own band?

The reason I asked is because I had my yearly check up recently and was speaking to the nurse who informed me that all the local authorities within my area have had their funding withdrawn ( Common in most places I know) for any thing to do with weight loss surgeries. So now if I needed a fill/defill I would have to go to my gp and basically get a referral and the average wait for the consultant is between 6/12 months and then I had a light bulb moment ( doesnt happen often lol) and thought to myself well surely if a nurse can be trained then why cant I ? So hence my question . Thanks in advance for any replies I may receive, wishing everyone all the best. BD x ( I know its a bit late but happy new year 2 one and all x )

Its horrible that they've just abandoned you like that :( I hope someone can give you an answer.

Wow Julie that's just awful hun. Although I'm not a gander it will be interesting to see if the self fill defill is achievable though.

Gander= bander btw :eek:

Yes :D:D

My surgeon 'trained' both my husband and I as we travel to far flung places :D

You MUST get the right Huber needle though.

It's actually quite easy and we had to do a de-fill once :eek:

Dont misunderstand me , I havent been abandoned I would still get seen just long waiting times, now my gp surgery holds his own funding for such like procedures and not the hospital direct, hence I would have to go to him for the referral. I dont feel abandoned at all, quite lucky infact. Thank you gemma, did you ask for this to be shown to you? Or how did you go about it.

Thanks in advance, and for replies already given. BD

Yes, we asked to be shown/taught due to our travels. Surgeon also gave me the huber needle. He was completely ok about it. We are both pretty sensible :)p) and it was planned that this was only to be in an emergency, not routine. I did have that emergency 3 weeks before my band was due to be taken out, a week before he was due to empty it. I contacted him for advice and he said to defill as I could barely swallow my own saliva as I had swelled up :eek:

I'd have been happy long term to do my own fills as needed if I'd had to.

Back