• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello from Darlington

Daniel33

Hi all

Just thought I would do a quick intro. I am 33, 22st at least and have been trying to lose for about 15 years. Went to see a surgeon regarding an umbilical hernia and we got to taking about bariatric surgery. Gave it lots of thought and decided to sign up.

Anyone else from Darlington and seeing Mr Samier? I've not even been referred to tier 3 yet. How long do you usual wait from signing up to actual surgery? I need to make sure I work around uni exams lol

Hi, I'm not from Darlington but am 33 and 22st so 2/3 ain't bad ;-)

My timeline so far
30/08/2017 first GP appointment to discuss weight loss and was referred to Tier 3
13/10/2017 had assessment day with Tier 3
31/10/2017 first of 9 group therapy sessions
13/1//2017 starting 12 week circuit class
7/12/2017 first appointment with dietician

I believe I need to follow this for 2 years before being referred for surgery but this seems to be different in all areas.

Hi all

Just thought I would do a quick intro. I am 33, 22st at least and have been trying to lose for about 15 years. Went to see a surgeon regarding an umbilical hernia and we got to taking about bariatric surgery. Gave it lots of thought and decided to sign up.

Anyone else from Darlington and seeing Mr Samier? I've not even been referred to tier 3 yet. How long do you usual wait from signing up to actual surgery? I need to make sure I work around uni exams lol

Hi I'm from Darlington and just this day out of hospital from having a sleeve done with Mr Mitchel. I started group end of October 2016 went to a tier 3 meeting in April 2017 and received the Op November 6th. How this helps

Thanks for the replies :) i spoke to mr samier’s secretary about the process, explained i need to fit around uni and she said it wouldnt be a problem.

Just eager to get started to be honest. Get the ball rolling! There is a girl who lives near me who had surgery a few months ago and she looks fantastic. I want results like that lol!

they don't usually do it any sooner then a year of starting I got told. When did you first start? My meeting was in the October 2016 I went to the weekly groups they are fab I then got invited to the tier 3 or 4 I can't remember which one it is lol at the memorial then they gave me an appointment to see me Mitchel. The whole team are fab. I'm 4 days post surgery now feeling little less sore but I've never once been hungry such a strange feeling for me lol!

I got my referral to tier 3 today - start 15th jan. Its at st cuthburts church (?) i thought it was in the hospitsl. Not sure what to expect!

Ah right so that's the first meeting you go to, they discuss diet and introduce the team and talk surgery too it's usually around 2 hours long. Then after that you go to weekly groups either a Tuesday at st cuthberts or a Thursday evening at skerne park community centre. I attended them groups from October and then when you hit a mini target and they see changes in diet/lifestyle they refer you on to tier 4 at the hospital I got referred over in April and met him in the may.

Cool. I hear darlington wants roughly 5% weight loss? And then I assume they want to see you maintain that loss for a period of time? How often are the groups - weekly?

If losing 5% takes you below BMI 40 does that not mean you no longer qualify for surgery? Or do they just look at the initial Bmi? Sorry for all the questions lol. Its weird, half of me is mourning that I wont be able to eat a big pizza or drink fizzy water or eat loads of chocolate, and the other half can’t wait to be free of the control i let food have over me. Weird how the brain works lol

So I'd just hit my 5% when I met my consultant and he said basically he wouldn't operate if I gain weight but if I loose more it's a bonus as it shows long term commitment and the more weight you carry the more risk you are in surgery. I think I was roughly around the same weight apart from loosing about a stone on the liver reducing 2 weeks prior to the surgery. Since having my surgery my emotions have been all over the place I use to look forward to my evening meals but because everything is just puréed for up to 4 weeks it's nothing exciting lol I'm in a better place now though I had a good chat with my self and I know long term it's better for me. Meetings are usually around 2 hours they du different things each week including cooking sessions and rebounding (tramploining) workouts. Sometimes I can't stay so you can just go and get weighed also

Yeah I can’t really do much on the exercise front, hernia. Which is annoying - used to go to gym 5 nights a week, lifted heavy, circuit classes, bootcamps etc.

Im wondering roughly when the op would be. I know people say a year. But if i start jan 15th, lose 5% in a month or two, do i meed to maintain that til the jan the following year? Ill be doing my postgrad full time and working teo jobs as well, so it would mean delaying it a further 7 months to the summer holiday 2019 :(

There's a few people in my group been waiting longer then a year so I think it depends on how you do. And medically too. On my pre op they found I had an irregular heart beat so needed a heart scan prior to surgery which luckily was fine. My consultant said they Deffo don't do it before a year though I just maintained give or take few pounds up and down until the date of my op.

hi, I'm not at darlington but I am at North tees and live in billingham. just thought id jump on the thread and give you any help I can. it took me over 2 years of different appointments through SWIMS. I have now seen the consultant and had my 2 x group seminars and my pre op and appointment with the person who puts you to sleep (I cant spell the technical term haha) . I am now on the list and am literally waiting every day for the post man to drop the letter with my date. I have been told it will be around feb march.

I was told once you have hit the target they want you to achieve to be referred to the last stage of the process as long as you do not gain weight then you will still go ahead with surgery. but also the more weight you lose means a shorter recovery as obviously your body is in a better starting place plus making the changes earlier and maintaining them before the operation massively increases your chances of success after the operation.

Back