• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello, I'm new

Pookiedoodle

Totally in love with Mika
Hello there, I came across this forum by accident, and I'm so glad I did, you all seem so lovely and suportive of one another.
After reading some of your posts, it has made me feel so emotional - I went to my GP last year to be referred for gastric banding, and was refused funding, I was gutted.
I'm planning to go back again tomorrow to ask again, but am already convinced that I will get another NO!
How did you manage to convince your GP that funding was the way to go?
Thanks so much for reading this, speak soon
xx

Hi and welcome to the site. Not sure which area you are in but have you checked out the NICE criteria for weight loss surgery?

Nic xx

Hello there, thanks for your reply.
I have been looking on the NHS direct criteria, is that the same kind of thing?

That's great Nic, thanks so much.
So, what's your story, I see you're due for an op in 3 months, how are you feeling about that?
Are you being funded by the NHS - I'm coming across as being really nosey aren't I!!
Thanks for your advice
xx

Hello to you too Mandy.
I'm just reading Bondgirl's story - although it could take me some time, I'm only on page 30, out of 140!!!
I'm really looking forward to getting to know you all.
xx

Hiya

No your not coming across as nosey at all, ask what you want.
Yes I'm having mine done on the NHS at Macclesfield.
I have just rung the hospital and my ticker is worse case scenario, I'm hoping it will be sooner, hopefully August.

Nic xx

Oooh, you must be so excited!!
How much are you hoping to lose?
I have got a mahoooosive amount to lose, shall I tell you a bit about myself?
I'm a 34 year old mum of 2. I have been overweight all of my life really, and have tried everything, just like the majority of you on here i should think.
I'm at the stage now where i feel like surgery is my last hope, my only option, but I need to get this through to my GP, who has no idea about weight issues at all really.
I'm going back to see him tomorrow, and hopefully he'll put my name forward for funding again.
Keep everything crossed for me
xx

Its frustrating just waiting for a date to be honest but yes I am getting closer so hopefully soon I'll hear lol!
I need to lose a massive amount too, probably about 10/11 stone and like you I've had problems since childhood, Mum was taking me to the Dr about my weight when I was 4 and I remember constantly being on a flaming "diet"!

How much are you hoping to lose, are you hoping for the band or bypass?

I will keep everything crossed for you too xx

hello pookie. best of luck for tomorrow. i would recommend that u dont take no for an answer. stick to ur guns and make them at least put u forward. look forward to seeing how u get on. best of luck xxx

Hi. Welcome and Good luck, I hope it all goes well for you an just remember if you don't feel your docter is taking you seriously then you can always see someone else within the practice, also i wrote directly to the pct and explained things from my point of view, i don't know if it worked as i was refused the first time but that was because i didn't fit the criteria, you never know it might help.

Good luck and keep us posted

Thanks so much for the lovely welcome everyone.
The last time my GP put me forward, apparently I wasn't in the right catchment area to qualify for funding, which seems ridiculous to me - I can't get help due to the fact I live in the wrong area!!
Well, I'll just have to see what happens tomorrow.
Katdec21, what's the PCT?
xx

Hiya

PCT = Primary Care Trust they are the ones that grant the funding for the operations for the NHS!
Also forgot to say earlier make sure you tell your Dr how much its affecting your life psychologically as well and things you can't do etc
Nic xx

:talk017:

Well hello again.

I'm back after my visit to my GP.
I gave him a letter which I'd written to the PCT which he is going to pass on along with my referral letter

I am in such a state about it, it's all I can bloody think about & it's driving me (and my poor husband) crazy!

I just feel that this is my last hope, it would change my life more than I could begin to imagine - although I'm sure you all know exactly what I mean.

So, thanks again for the lovely welcome, now it's just a matter of sitting tight, with everything crossed, hoping and preying that the PCT are willing to fund this for me.

So, what's everyone else up to today, it's so miserable out there isn't it, it had better stop raining in time for my holiday on Monday.

xx

Hiya

Great news that the Dr is referring you and I'll keep fingers crossed that its a yes from the PCT. Hopefully it won't be a long wait for you.

Weather is miserable, where are you off to on holiday?

Well, it's waiting now. He said if I don't hear back form him or the hospital in the next 2 weeks, I'm to give him a call.
We're off to Dorset, we're going on a Haven holiday, the children love it, and it's a break we've all been really looking forward to.
What have you been up to today?

Hi Pookiedoodle,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry I missed your initial arrival, I've not been about much lately.

I strongly agree with contacting the PCT yourself. My GP, whom I get on really well with, wasn't really sure what was actually required. After speaking to the manager at the department where the funding is sorted, they said they would get it all sorted for me, and they even contacted my GP themselves to make sure she was doing it right.

I'm just waiting to hear if I have got the funding now. Fingers crossed for 11th June.

Keep us informed.

Gerry
:)

Well have a lovely holiday and hopefully you will have news by the time you get back.
I'm actually at work ;)

xx

Well, it's waiting now. He said if I don't hear back form him or the hospital in the next 2 weeks, I'm to give him a call.
We're off to Dorset, we're going on a Haven holiday, the children love it, and it's a break we've all been really looking forward to.
What have you been up to today?

Hello Gerry, thanks for the message.
So you get the decision on 11th June? You must be so nervous, how long ago did you apply for it? Blimey, this is all such a big thing to us all isn't it, we are all pinning our hopes on this one decision, which could completely change our lives!
I've been trying to add an avatar, but I can't seem to find where to add it, any tips on that one?
Ok, off to get dinner now, but I'll be back later.
Speak soon
xx

Back