• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello, newbie here

Sophies_dad

Hi all, my name is Steve, I'm 34 and I have just secured funding and had my 1st psychology appointment today at the Royal Salford Hospital. I have been passed for surgery and I meet with the consultant next month, 18 weeks to op!!

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the boards and a wonderful place it is too :) good news on your funding . . .full steam ahead now

Kat x

Looking at getting a bye pass, but worried about the "risk" as I have 2 small children. I feel very lucky as my GP sent a letter, (refused) then another GP sent a letter together with back up letter from my sleep clinic consultant and funding was granted last month, so 18 weeks I was told until my op! In all I have been on a cpap machine since I was 22, anti depression meds for 3 years and high blood pressure meds for 3 months, no weight loss programmes or month psychology meetings, although I did try orlistat twice and found them useless. :)

I know how you feel. I tried orlistat, lighter life, Cambridge, numerous slimming clubs. I've been on depression meds (up until jan this year) for 5 years. It's time for it all to stop and get well. I won't lie...there are risks but any surgery is a risk whatever it is. The chances of anything happening are very slim. There is more chance of something happening if you don't do anything hun. Just think about getting rid of all those meds and being able to run around with your kiddies. This forum is brilliant and there is so much support and so many people who have had surgery already willing to talk about their experiences xxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks :) feels like I have had a small lottery win getting funding! Just got to wait until 20th sept until I go to a seminar with the surgical team to discuss options for surgery, the psychologist agreed that a bypass would be better for me, I am now 26 stone and feel about 64 years old ! Scared, excited, but just looking forward to a new life

Hi Steve, I know where you're coming from having two small kids. My Daughter is 7 and I thought the same as i'm having a sleeve done but, they so know what they are doing and the benefits outweigh everything. Don't worry it'll all be fine x

Hi Steve. Congratulations on getting your funding. I had my bypass at Salford November 28th last yr (lost 9 & 1/2 stone to date). The team are great and always there when you need them. Can't deny it is scary and not always easy but so worth it.

You may have already been told that there is a support group at Salford Royal on the first Wednesday of each month ie next Wednesday, held in the Mayo Building, 1st floor 7pm. It's informal with speakers some months but good to meet with other pre and post-oppers!! Join us if you can.

Take care, Syl

Thanks, it's a bit if a trek for me as I live in mid wales lol, I am back to see mr ammori's team in 2 weeks to discus options :)

Brilliant news about your funding Steve. I had mine on Nov. 22nd last year and my only regret is not doing it 10 years earlier. Best thing I've ever done. I've gone from a size 26 to a size 12 and I'm so happy. I have a 13 and 14 year old and saying goodbye to them the night before the op was the worst part of the whole process for me. You'll be fine. Very few have problems. I had a heart attack almost exactly a year before my op and all my heart tablets have halved now and most will probably go next time I have a check up at the Dr's.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Kate x

Welcome and good luck with whichever route you choose. Great support team here to help guide you from our individual experiences :)

Sophies_dad said:
Thanks, it's a bit if a trek for me as I live in mid wales lol, I am back to see mr ammori's team in 2 weeks to discus options :)

Hi there congratulations on your funding and great news on your consultation :) you are in very safe hands with Prof Ammori - I had a gastric plication 8 days ago and was in his capable hands. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Back