• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello - some background about me - and some advice please

weeble

Wobbles
Hello

I just thought I would introduce myself and ask for some advice / support. I'm a 50 year old single parent of two girls, now 19 and 20, and very much hoped this part of my life would be about me. I have battled my weight all my life and in a pattern I am sure many of you will recognise have yo yoed up and down.

In September 2007, when I weighed 27 stone 3lb, I had a gastric balloon fitted (privately) and was very ill immediately afterwards and as a result lost a lot of weight very quickly. I felt so motivated that despite the effect of the balloon seeming to wear off very quickly I was determined and over 12 months I lost 12 stone.

I then lost my inspiration and struggled for a year to keep the weight off – going up and down and up and down. By summer 2009, I was 20 stone again and I had a fall and broke my foot. At the same time I went back to work after a period of unemployment. I stopped doing any exercise and that combined with being behind a desk all day again led to me just putting it all back on again over a period of a year.

In December 2009, when I weighed 23.5 stone, Dr Ammori agreed to list me for a gastric band. Between then and the time that I got the appointment for the operation, June 2010, I put on a further 3 stone.

I started the pre op in May – which was about 500 cals a day - and in the three weeks I lost 19lb and then in the two weeks immediately after the band - the liquid weeks - I lost a further 13lb. In the next six weeks the rate of loss slowed down to 2lb a week and I was struggling to eat 1000 calories a day. Now in all the years I have dieting (35) I have never lost less than an average of 3lb a week and in the early days of dieting I often lose an average of 4 –5lb. In fact in the twelve months where I lost 12 stone – I lost an average of 4lb a week for the full year.

The hospital dietician said I should be getting around 700 calories a day – focusing on protein first. I had one fill of 2ml and had some restriction at first. Due to illness and cancelled appts I didn’t get any more appts for fills until December last year and I was full of flu then and was unable to go. But more to the point I had given up in July and had slowly put all the weight I had lost back on again bar a few pounds and I couldn’t see point in going.

I feel such a failure – like I have wasted the money the NHS spent on the operation and I am embarrassed to go back. Not least because Mr Ammori tried very hard to persuade me to have the bypass and I was so convinced that because I did well with the balloon I would do well with the band.

I plucked up the courage to contact the hospital and got booked in for a fill. I went along last Tuesday only to spend two hours and have two different doctors - one very experienced - try to fill the band. In the end they said it was blocked and there was nothing they could do.

I have an appointment with Mr Ammori's clinic next week and am really anxious about going. At 26 and a half stone I am now three stone heavier than I was when I first saw Mr Ammori in 2009. I am worried that I have failed with this and don't know where else to go. I am just living on chocolate at the moment and have lost any hope that I can diet successfully. Even when I try my weight loss is so slow as to be non existent. And the daft thing is, I am so ill at this weight - can't breathe because of Asthma, can't stop coughing and generally find it very hard to get to work every day.

Has anyone had any experience of a blockage in the band - will it have to be replaced? Will I have to have an other general?

Sorry for such a depressing introduction.:(

Aww Im sorry I cant help practically as Im a bypasser but I didnt want to read and run....I do understand that until the amount in the band is right and restriction is good the weightloss wont be as good. I hope Im right in saying that but Im sure one of our more experienced banders will be along soon to give you some advice. Dont feel down hun, you are not a failure and its early days yet.....you will do brilliant Im sure (HUGS) XX

You know we are with you Weeble xxxx Good luck for your appointment and keep posting with us as we all really want to help you as much as possible x
Big hugs x

Hia Weeble. My heart goes out to you, what a sad story. Can I ask - what do you want to have happen at your appointment?

Would you consider, for instance, having a bypass done now if one was offered to you?

It may help you between now and your appointment to really have a think about what YOU WANT to happen.

You're not a failure But may be you did choose the wrong operation?

I'm also 50 and I'm finding that losing weight isn't so fast as it used to be. I'm losing weight with my bypass but it can be slow going.
Maybe its an age thing?

Love n hugs

Grace xxx

I was going to say, like Grace, perhaps you should consider asking about a sleeve or bypass? With everything you have been through it's a good idea to just find out whether this would be an option for you. I know it's possible to lose a lot with a band (it had better be!!!) but the main thing is now, after all that's happened, that you get that weight off asap and get your life moving how you want it to be.
If you still have the band repaired or replaced, us banders are 100% devoted to helping you as I have said already on the banders thread, but seriously consider asking the surgeon for the best route for you and your current weight and circumstances xxxx
Lots of love and best of luck

I'm new here but didn't want to read and run :grouphugg: (don't know where the individual hug is so you'll have to have a group one!).

If I were you I'd seriously think about what you want from the appointment now you've made it. I would be going towards a bypass and begging them to help I think. I'm sure the Dr has seen it all before, and at the end of the day you wouldn't be in there if you didn't need help. Chin up, get your head round everything being brutally honest about your food habits now and long term, then decide what you want and go for it.

Sorry I can't be of any more help. x

Thanks everyone - didn't mean to double post - this is the one that disappeared. But thank you all for your advice.

Back