• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Trying again - an Introduction

weeble

Wobbles
I did post this before but it seems to have got lost in the ether. I just wanted to tell my story.

In September 2007, when I weighed 27 stone 3lb, I had a gastric balloon fitted (privately) and was very ill immediately afterwards and as a result lost a lot of weight very quickly. I felt so motivated that despite the effect of the balloon seeming to wear off very quickly I was determined and over 12 months I lost 12 stone.

I then lost my inspiration and struggled for a year to keep the weight off – going up and down and up and down. By summer 2009, I was 20 stone again and I had a fall and broke my foot. At the same time I went back to work after a period of unemployment. I stopped doing any exercise and that combined with being behind a desk all day again led to me just putting it all back on again over a period of a year.

In December 2009, when I weighed 23.5 stone, Dr Ammori agreed to list me for a gastric band. Between then and the time that I got the appointment for the operation, June 2010, I put on a further 3 stone.

I started the pre op in May – which was about 500 cals a day - and in the three weeks I lost 19lb and then in the two weeks immediately after the band - the liquid weeks - I lost a further 13lb. In the next six weeks the rate of loss slowed down to 2lb a week and I was struggling to eat 1000 calories a day. Now in all the years I have dieting (35) I have never lost less than an average of 3lb a week and in the early days of dieting I often lose an average of 4 –5lb. In fact in the twelve months where I lost 12 stone – I lost an average of 4lb a week for the full year.

The hospital dietician said I should be getting around 700 calories a day – focusing on protein first. I had one fill of 2ml and had some restriction at first. Due to illness and cancelled appts I didn’t get any more appts for fills until December last year and I was full of flu then and was unable to go. But more to the point I had given up in July and had slowly put all the weight I had lost back on again bar a few pounds and I couldn’t see point in going.

I felt such a failure – like I had wasted the money the NHS spent on the operation and I was embarrassed to go back. Not least because Mr Ammori tried very hard to persuade me to have the bypass and I was so convinced that because I did well with the balloon I would do well with the band.

So in January I tried again and dieted on 1100 calories a day but hardly lost any weight at all. I also booked in for a fill to try and start using my band as a tool in the way that I should.

I went along in February only to be told after two hours that they couldn't fill it as there was a blockage in the tube. I came home from that appointment and went on a chocolate marathon and I am now back up to nearly my top weight.

I have an appointment with the consultant's team on Thursday and am scared about going because a) I think they will be very disappointed with me and b) they might say the band has to come out.

So that's me.

Awww Bless... please let us know how it goes on Thursday and you are in excellent hands with Mr Ammori, he's also very understanding and genuinely interested in our wellbeing. Please let us know how it goes... love and hugs precious xxx

Aaw Weeble - you have had a rum old time of it!

Not much luck with either by the sound of it. Sometimes its hard to take advice, however meant when we are so sure of our convictions and we cannot possibly go wrong.

Try not to worry about your appointment, if there was a problem with your band - its hardly your fault is it!
Maybe they will be prepared to re-do it with a new band; or even suggest you would be better with the gastric bypass. Whatever happens listen to all possibilities and look carefully at all the pros and cons before making your decision. I really feel that you have been unlucky and am sure that with a fresh start you could achieve the success that you want.

Wishing you well hun x

Love Kat x

Hi Weeble, sorry to hear about your ups and downs. It's still worth you going to your appointment as they can discuss the best way forward for you. Even if your team are dissappointed, they still need to sort out your band. As Kat said, they may even give you an option of having a bypass or sleeve. Have you thought about what you would like to do if this was offered? Remember, you embarked on this journey for you, not for other people or the surgeons. At least you have some insight into how you might fare with the band and may have a rare oppertunity to revise your decision. Also, don't forget, your tool has not been working for you as yet due to circumstances beyond your control. I will be thinking about you on Thursday and praying for you. Is there someone who can attend with you for some moral support?

Sending you lots of hugs
Rebirthx

Hi

Thanks for all your kind words. Sadly I am on my own and don't really have anyone who could go with me - and you know at 50, I really believe that I should be up for managing these things by myself. I always thought I would be grown up by this age :)

I'll listen to what they have to say. I really don't know what I would do if they offered me a revision - I chose the band because it was less invasive and at the time felt strongly that I wanted that. Actually, Mr Ammori tried to persuade me several times to have a band or a sleeve and I didn't listen. Don't I feel stupid now.

Talk to Mr Ammori and explain how you feel, a lot of us are older than you love and we are still learning and will keep learning... so much of this is new to us.

You are with the best man for sure and don't hesitate to get in touch if I can be of any support to you.

Love and hugs xxx

Back