• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello! Bit about me & some advice please

MrsHT

Hello,
I'm so pleased to have found you all! Really fantastic supportive forum you've got here, I hope I can join you.

I'm Helen, 27, 2 small kids, in Derbyshire.

I am very fat for a huge variety of reasons (which have nothing to do with me liking chocolate ;)). I first asked for gastric surgery early 2010 but then moved areas and have had to start again with a new PCT. I'm now on a weight management course before my GP will apply for funding but she has told me it's a matter of ticking boxes for the funding form.

The problem I'm coming up against is this; I can drop a stone fairly easily by just cutting out carbs, equally I can whack it straight back on again in a matter of 48 hours so it's nothing to get excited about for me. But I've been given a target of losing 15lbs in 12 weeks on weight management. What I would like to know is the effect of reaching this target -
a) it shows willing and effort and you go through to surgery as being committed to weight loss
b) it shows you can lose some weight with their help and they tell you to stay put on it for the long haul.

If anyone can help me with this I'd be grateful, it's all very well losing a stone but when you need to lose about 11 of them it's not very exciting when you know the merest whiff of carbs sends it back and more. I've also been very very honest with myself about my relationship with food and I know that surgery is the only way I'll get all the weight off and keep it off. I'm 27, I don't want to be fat forever!

Anyway, I hope someone can help me. I desperately want the surgery and I've been waiting so long and don't want to put it at risk but it's hard to know how to play to get the funding. :confused:

Thank you

Helen

Hi Helen and :welcome: to WLS, most of us have been exactly where you are now! I remember being 27 and very fat and 37 and even fatter .......now Im 49 and getting slimmer! Its the best thing I ever did so keep fighting for it......I think the weight loss target is probably a bit of both the reasons you state. Some PCT's set targets others dont but they all like you to loose a certain amount to show your commitment. Good luck hun and we will support you as best we can :D XX

I'm afraid I can't help as I had to go private but just wanted to wish you luck xx Welcome aboard

:welcome2: Hello and a warm welcome Helen...

We are fellow sufferers... lose a stone and gain two... lifelong problem for the majority of us.

There is loads of info on the forum and we are here for you, look forward to getting to know you.

Love, hugs and all the very best, Bev xxx :wave_cry:

Hi hun, i did my weight management at walsall manor and lost about 7lb in 6 months (not great). I definitely think it is more to show your commitment than anything. Also as pointed out, when your doc sends of for your funding, he will have to include this in his write up about you and why he is recommending you for surgery. Don't forget it is the pct that decide whether you get funded or not. It was in my case anyway x

I think they want to know that you can stick to a diet and that you will work with your tool rather than expect it to do everything for you.

Hi I am afraid I went private, I couldn't wait, but I wanted to say hello because I am twenty seven too and think your doing completely the right thing!

Hello . sorry I don't have any answers for you but someone on here probably does , welcome to the site
Kate x

hey - sum1 else at derby hospital i presume? welcome to the family hun!
i didnt have to do a weight management course but i think its for the reason that weeble has sugested above - its to proove to them that you can work towards your goal and help yourself - the bypass is only a tool it wont do the work for you! did your gp not explain why they want you to do this course - if not it may be worth asking there reasons!
it could also be to proove that you have tried every option for loosing weight before turning to wls too!
wishing you luck along your way and all the best to you and yours!
im at derby hospital too and im only 24! x

Hello,

Thank you all for your replies. Feel very welcome :)

Basically my GP said if she didn't tick the 2 remaining boxes on the form she has to send in (Xenical and WM) then the PCT would refuse funding until I'd done them so it was easier to do them now and hopefully get everything smoothly going through. She has told me it's simply a box ticking exercise but obviously I don't want to take the mick. Like most of us I've done it all, I've even been a Cambridge Diet consultant for years, I've helped women (and a few men) lose stones, just can't do it and keep it off myself, and since having my kids I can't even do it without feeling ill. I've got loads of other problems going on medically so this really is my last option.

Keeley - yes I'm at Derby hospital, just up the road for me luckily.

Thank you again all,
Helen

Back