• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi from Northamptonshire

Good luck with it all Mike, the only thing I was going to suggest when speaking to Doctors/Surgeons is to stress how you are prepared to follow the eating guidelines with the band, that you realise it's merely a tool to help you stick to a healthy diet etc and you understand it won't help if you don't change your habits for the better and so on.
If you show that you are prepared to make a committment to getting fitter by having the op then I'm sure that will help a lot in any application to be put forward for the surgery.
They want to see that you are a good candidate in your attitude towards the surgery as well as your current health issues which fall under the requirements in your area for being funded.
Hope you are successful

Hi Leanne, thanks for sharing that info - very encouraging to know! :)

Hi Steve, thanks for your advice mate, it's nice to know someone who has been there - done that!

Hi Neen, thanks also for the advice - will bare that in mind :)

Well I had the appointment today and to be honest left a little disappointed.

I saw a lady on Professor Kumar's team who i cant remember/pronounce the name of, but didn't particularly like her that much - I got the feeling that it was far too much bother to read through all my notes. She said that she has briefly looked at them, but wanted me to explain everything that has gone on in the past - believe me (with leukaemia and all the after effects included) was an impossible task.

She had a quick feel of my stomach, and then decided to prescribe me with Orlistat - something which I was dreading that they'd do.

She said, go and try those, and I'll see you in a few months - she also asked me to see the dietician there, and the clinical psychologist in separate appt.'s that I'll get through the post. She also sent me for an in-depth set of blood tests today to have a good look at all the different things going on in my blood.

I just got the impression she couldn't be bothered to read my history (kindly condensed into 8 pages by my previous endocrinologist/oncologist) and doesn't have the full insight into the special medical reasons why i feel, other than the obvious medical benefits - that the surgery is needed.

I just wish that the clinical oncologist saw last week was there, and my paediatric endocrinologist too to talk the talk - and by the impression i got - completely baffle her.

I'm really not happy about trying Orlistat - it's something I've looked into in the past, and on here have read some terrible stories about the side effects - how can they expect you to deal with them whilst living a normal life and having a full time job - it'd be alright if i stayed at home all the time and was always near a loo - in in reality - i'm not.

She told me to try them first on a Friday evening, before dinner, and see how you get on over a weekend! - It still didn't answer my concern about during the week!

Have another appointment in a few months with her (or hopefully another member of the team) where she said depending on the results from taking the Orlistat - will talk about surgical options.

Mike :):(

Hi Mike
Some great info already been given, just be yourself and tell them how you are feeling.
Good luck.

hi there mike
well just to say i was feeling the same as you after my first appointment, firstly i never got to see Mr Kumar on my first appointment and was told it would take a weight management course of 12 months then i would be referred for surgery if all went well , it went like this,

i had to see the bariatric psychologist Mr Kendrick ,he is OK and you will need his recommendation to get approval for surgery he will have to be sure you will be able to cope with the changes you will have to make with your eating habits, but just be honest and you will be OK,
the dietitian Christine baker is lovely no problems there,
i,m afraid its just what you have to do for the pct to fund you,
jump through the hoops so you tick all the box's required by the pct,
but the main thing is you have now started the clock and your journey has started the time Will soon pass believe me,
as for the dreaded orlistat
well if you eat a high fat diet then expect trouble,
if you eat a low fat diet then there OK, i found that on low fat foods there were no problems really i had mine with my evening meal and was OK, but eat crap and take them then expect the worst lol oil slick time ,
so all in all look on it a a means to an end and you will get there ,bite the bullet chap your journey has now started
regards Steve

Rambo is right there mike, we all have to jump through hoops to get what we want. I had to do the milk diet for 8 weeks (over xmas and new year). Thats just living on 2lts milk and 1 jelly per day, but it was worth it in the end.
Good luck with the orlistat.

Hi all, just a quick update as I haven't posted for a while on this thread. As some of the more inquisitive may have spotted by my profile, I have decided to go private for my band.

It wasn't a decision i took lightly as its an awful lot of money, but the thought of waiting for over a year and still not being guarenteed an operation at the end was unbearable. Fortunately i am in a position where I can just about pay for the op and still afford to live, however I do believe in the long run, it will be the best money I will ever spend.

I have decided to go with Healthier Weight Clinics and my surgeon will be Professor Franco Favretti, who was part of the team in the early 90's that invented the band, and he was one of the first surgeons to ever implant a band in a patient. He lives and works in Italy, but comes over as and when required to work exclusively for Healthier Weight to carry out the op. He is also the surgeon who has been in the news quite a bit regarding the SILS band (single incision through the belly button) as he is the only surgeon to have developed a special tool to lift the liver and carry out the op all through the one incision. Normally a second very small one has to be made on the single incisions to lift the liver out of the way.

I've done a lot of research into the company and the surgeon and can find nothing but good things about both, which reassures me that I have made a good decision. They are by far not the cheapest, but i am a firm believer of the classic term 'you get what you pay for' and i believe it will also apply in this case.

My op is booked for 24th July at the spire in manchester - I can't wait!

Hope everyone else is doing ok, and look forward to catching up with you in your replies.

Mike

Hi Mike I was referred to Northampton by my Gp, they granted the funding then i was given a choice of hospitals either Luton&Dunstable or Birmingham, the questions i was asked was what you would expect really,what diets i had tried, what i knew about the surgrey risks, and why i felt i should be put forward etc

good luck mike, you r be going in for your op as i come out of mine be thinking of you mate x

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well, just thought I'd do a quick post as its my big day tomorrow, I'm being admitted to the Spire in Manchester and am having my band fitted in the afternoon.

I'm just at the stage now where up until now i have been honestly 99% excited for the future and 1% nervous about the op/life change after it, but how its more like 90 excited and 10% nervous. I'm sure this is just normal as the time comes, but i am still 100% determined and confident that I will make my band work.

Life has been quite good to me of late, I've had a recognising excellence award given to me by work, and there's talk of a considerable pay rise in the air which is nice to know. It's certainly needed being on a trainee wage, but after only 5 months of working for CSC, it's nice to know i must be doing something right!

I have been doing my pre-op diet for the past two weeks, which has been a bit all over the place, although all-in-all successful.

The first 5 days i did a high protein, low/no carb diet, which made me very lethargic which isn't ideal in my job. After that i decided to just eat normal food sensibly and limit the amount of high carb foods like bread, pasta and potatoes. Then i had a quick word with the clinic and they said your fine to eat sensibly so long as you dont exceed 850kcals per day. I have to say I found this very easy, and have sometimes been having a little less than this, without feeling hungry at all.

So two weeks on, I am just over a stone lighter, and I feel it too. Its a nice feeling, my double chin has completely disappeared now since i started on a serious weight loss journey in March. Thats been quite a confidence boost for me as its a part thats on show all the time. Sounds silly i know, but its true.

Looking forward to tomorrow and to see what the future brings. I'll keep you all updated...don't worry!

x

good luck for tomorrow allthough im sure you wont need it! wish you a speedy recovery and i cant wait to read how you get on xxxx

:welcome2:Hi Mike and welcome to the forum,i just wanted to wish you all the luck with your wls journey Marie.

good luck mike i am o looking forwrad to seeing how you got on xxx

Hi all, just a quick note to say I'm still alive! lol.

Had my band fitted on Saturday lunchtime, was supposed to be the single incision through my belly button, but in the end I had to have the four-incision keyhole done. Apparently it was because my liver is extremely thick. This didn't surprise me that it was large, however it did surprise me that it was still too big after doing a pre-op diet with virtually zero carbs for two weeks before. Hey-ho!

I also know that general anaesthetic definitely does not agree with me. I told them i am a bit sick when i wake up, and i was true to my word even though I'd been given anti-sickness drugs. I was also given some morphine for the pain which i had a bit of a reaction to and turned a funny colour and developed a rash. Fortunately those effects were about the worst of the reaction, but the morphine itself did the job!

I'm much better now though than i was, not had any pain killers today so far, although am a bit sore when walking around etc. I have been told i cant lift anything for a few weeks which i'd tend to agree with at the moment!

I'm drinking fluids very slowly and cant drink freely at the moment. I have a strong feeling of indigestion in my chest every time I drink fluids other than water. Is this normal because of the swelling or is this to be expected for now on? Quite uncomfortable.

Today in total i have had:

BREAKFAST: about 180ml (0.5 of a packet) of a strawberry protein shake

LUNCH: 200g (0.5 of a can) of Heinz oxtail soup

3PM: 1 Muller Vitality

TEA: 200g (0.5 of a can) of Heinz Mulligatawny soup

DRINKS: 120ml glass of cranberry juice, 1pt water.

This amount is plenty for me at the moment, although i seem to have this indigestion/wind pain in my chest most of the time when i have anything.

Plus I've lost 2kg/4.4lbs already!!!

Will keep you all posted!

Well done with your weight loss. Take care to look after yourself. :)

congrats on cuming thru you op good and well - heres to lots of weight loss coming your way! xxxx

Back