• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hello

soohoo

not much to report yet

:sigh:not doing right well at this moment.so much to say but.its a waiting game.i have been recalled for sleep apnea.recalled back to gp for a update on vitamins mainly vit d.im trying to keep notes on food exercise.my folder is getting full.i will be going to the next meeting at bradford bri this month.maybe when i talk and meet a few more people it will all come together.i admit i am scared and excited.i am a very impaitent person.i want it doing yesterday.but understand also this is serious and will take time.and i will be ready.so i hope to be there at the meeting.you all have a good band holiday.i have read from alot of you and you are great.

please read me

iget excited when i can wear my wedding ring again.i havnt had it on for years.cut my toe nails.sit down in the garden for longer than 20 minutes on the most un comfortable chairs and the backs of my legs throbbing.i am only 5ft.i could go on forever boring you the amount of things i am restricted for my size.hope i can meet the bradford support soon.and a change aroung in my life.i dont want to be some one else just me.take care everyone:)

Well you're going the right way about it, good luck with everything, look forward to hearing about your progress.

Leila x

Hi.

I had my op on 22 Feb and am so happy with being able to wear clothes that have been in cases for literally years.

I feel so confident. My face is thinner. I wear a medical alert bracelet and had to take it in 2 links today.

I am loving life and you will too x

i nee advice.

:sigh:I know I should be talking to the professional how I feel.on reading a few topic after the weekend.i am probably like everyone else really.im scared and the more I read of other peoples journys.i get the scarry stomach ache.i have a way to go now.i cant get used to this mask I have to wear for sleep apnea.so till I get at least 4 hours in a night.they need the data.i cant go no further.i have my funding since feb.am I just looking for excuses not to have this done.please any advice would be great.hope you are all enjoying the sunshine

Try not to over worry about the op. look how many success stories are on here. These people are professionals at what they do and wouldn't operate on you unless they were confident. It is a scary time but so worth it. I would do it again tommorow without hesitation.

Have you tried different masks? They are a wide selection available, most of the time the NHS will put you in the standard one because its the cheapest options, but there are all types available and worth trying to help. Don't let them fob you off!

Ditto on top cats advice here. Becoming compliant with Cpap is very much reliant on getting the mask right in the first place and you will have to pester your sleep clinic on this. They may give the old argument of one mask a year only blah blah blah so you are going to have to get proactive with them until you do get the one that's right for you.
There are so many types of interfaces out there so you need to ask for an appointment to get a "mask fitting" but until you do you may well not become compliant with the Cpap. I was six months before I finally found what worked for me and due to the amount of weight lost I had to get a refit 2 mth ago. I am sitting with the Fisher Paykel Pilairo nasal pillows just now after using the same type mask for over ten years but I tried about 7 different types at my fitting before I settled for it. ;)

Last edited:
Soohoo, believe me, when you get the mask that suits you you will feel like a new person. It is absolutely fantastic :D and then you will get your op, lose the weight and look and feel amazing :) And if your story goes like mine you will no longer need the mask ever!

advice needed.sleep apnea

hiya everyone.anyone having trouble with sleep apnea.this is my second month and anethatist will look at it next month.i am struggling.i have done everything I can think of and been in touch with the makers of the machine and mask.this is the only thing that is olding me up.i struggle to keep it on 2 or 3 hours and they can only read the data over 4 per night.sheer panic .I cant bear anything over my nose and mouth.psycologist is helping.the air that blows thru the nozzle blocks my nose up.just like you have a cold.then I wake up panic panic.i just take it off.has anyone tried anything different.this is urgent and I know I have to knuckle down and force myself.hope you are all well take care:)

hiya everyone.anyone having trouble with sleep apnea.this is my second month and anethatist will look at it next month.i am struggling.i have done everything I can think of and been in touch with the makers of the machine and mask.this is the only thing that is olding me up.i struggle to keep it on 2 or 3 hours and they can only read the data over 4 per night.sheer panic .I cant bear anything over my nose and mouth.psycologist is helping.the air that blows thru the nozzle blocks my nose up.just like you have a cold.then I wake up panic panic.i just take it off.has anyone tried anything different.this is urgent and I know I have to knuckle down and force myself.hope you are all well take care:)

You can get just a nose mask, so you can breath through your mouth.

That's what I use, and it did take me a couple of months to get used to it - to begin with I managed 3/4 hours, and as soon as I became slightly aware of it would snatch it off, almost in panic. Now, though, I have it on all night, get at least 7 hours, and feel much better for it. I'm afraid it's just a case of taking your time to get used to it. Might help to do some relaxation/ breathing exercise before bed? I read before I go to sleep, bit read with my mask on. Good luck with everything.

I use the nasal mask and found this far more comftable and less enclosed than the full face, also my unit is programmed to delive a low pressure when switched on and gradualy increases to the desired peak pressure over a 15 min period. this allows my breathing to get used to it without being blasted at the start and causing like you say blocked airway or inducing panic breathing.

my unit is a Resmed S9 with the humidity tank, and hypoallergenic filter which is great if you suffer from allergies such as hayfever or find you wake in the mornings with dry mouth and throat. more info here: ResMed - S9

elo.your replies have been such a help.thankyou thankyou.i am seeing my psychologist this week and we are going thru breathing.mine is just a nose nozzle.its just the same.as soon as it starts moving up a bit and the blowing gets stronger wow I panic.and the mask is off.there is a button I can press but its not as easy as that once the mask is off that's it.i will percivere with it.and thankyou take care

I know exactly how you feel. I haven't used my cpap for 4 months now. I missed my last appointment at the sleep clinic and am avoiding making a new appointment because I know I'll get told off.
When I do use it it's only for an hour or so. I can't keep it on any longer the thought of putting it on makes me feel sick.

No you cant ...the minute you breathe through the mouth with a nasal mask you lose the positive pressure that makes the CPAP work so in essence you are rendering it useless.;)

Been a hoover head for 11 years now ....It can take a while to find what works for you & you may have to get bolshy with your sleep clinic to finally get a mask that you are comfortable with. They don't like parting with them :rolleyes: Ask for a mask fitting appointment. Do you have a heated humidifier on your machine? If so have you got it set at the right temp? Too hot I'm suffocating. Too cold and it nips the inside of my nose. If I let it run out of water through the night again it can be a bit nippy so I always make sure there is enough in there to get me through. At the moment I am using the Pilairo nasal pillows which I love. X

thank you everyone you help so much.strawberrycow your problem is as if I had wrote it.i am struggling no end.i rang the secretary and spoke to her.and they wont entertain me until I have done at least 70 percent in a month.no clinic appointment.it looks like it is down to me.i don't think they know how hard it really is.what I would like to do with that cpap machine.i sit on the hedge of the bed looking at it.i have a lump in my throat thinking about it.you all take care thankyou again for all your help.

thank you everyone you help so much.strawberrycow your problem is as if I had wrote it.i am struggling no end.i rang the secretary and spoke to her.and they wont entertain me until I have done at least 70 percent in a month.no clinic appointment.it looks like it is down to me.i don't think they know how hard it really is.what I would like to do with that cpap machine.i sit on the hedge of the bed looking at it.i have a lump in my throat thinking about it.you all take care thankyou again for all your help.

My husband has severe sleep apnea and has been under the respiratory clinic for years. He just cannot get on with any of he machines or masks at all. They've tried everything! And he does try, but like you he just can't get on with it. They have finally just taken the machine away a couple of weeks ago and said that cpap is obviously not the answer for him. It's taken them years of trying for them to decide this, but they now do believe he really can't use it.
He has been told to lose weight instead now. He has lost 5kgs in a couple of weeks just through change of diet. We just have to try and get him to stick to it as he's a big lad. He won't have surgery at all, so diet is the only way.
It's very difficult, and I sympathise with you.i hope you get it sorted. X

Back