• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello.

Honeybea

Hello everyone, Im new here and am at the very beggining of my journey.

I don't know if i'm going to be big enough for this surgery, as everyone i have seen who has had surgery on the NHS has been much much bigger than me. But, my weight is making my life hell, im really struggling.

My g.p. is just at the stage of sending of the referral form to Kings in London, has anyone else been there! I would love to hear from you if you have. I have tried every diet under the sun over the last 15 years....ive slowly got bigger and bigger and to some my weight might not sound a lot, but its huge to me. I am five foot two and a half inches tall and weigh exactly 16 stone. I have become so fat over the last few years, mainly since having cancer that i have become a recluse, i don't go out, i can't work anymore because of my health, im totally disgusted by my body, i dont like people seeing me...i revulse myself . My worry is that once i finally get to Kings, they will just look at me and say your not big enough, im only just reaching a bmi of 40. Has anyone else on here been in this situation. Can anyone tell me what happens now please. I would love to hear from you.
Honeybea xx

Sorry I can't help with your questions but just wanted to welcome you to the forum. There are lots of really helpful people on here. Good luck

Lynn x

I totally understand how you feel, I had a bmi of 37.6 when I was referred but was accepted due to a number of comorbidities and the stupid amount of medication I was on. In the scale of things I was quite 'small' for bariatric surgery but after years of failed attempts at weight loss mainly thanks to a hormone imbalance that promotes fat storage it seemed like the only option left other than learning to live with my size 18/20 body.
I had my bypass surgery on the nhs 1st Nov last year, I was terrified and almost convinced myself out of it when the anaesthetist and nurses repeatedly asked me why I was having it find because I didn't look like I needed it!!!
I can honestly say I don't regret it, I'm now at a bmi of 26.4 so almost 'normal' and off most of my meds. I'm now a comfortable size 14 heading into a 12 and feel great with loads more confidence.
All I can say is thanks to my very supportive gp who agreed to refer me and to the bariatric team at sunderland who accepted me, even though I was at the lower end of the spectrum.
If you have any doubts/questions feel free to ask....

Good luck on your journey and I hope it works out for you as it did for me :)

Back