• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help & advice **please**...

Hi everyone, Hope you are all well!?

I am wanting a gastric band fitted with Mr Roger Ackroyd (Private patient) I am a school teacher and was hoping to have the band fitted during the 6 week summer holidays, as I felt this would be an ideal time with been off work and I dont want to have to tell any colleagues about my surgery. However, I have twice cancelled my consultation with Mr Ackroyd (bottled it!!) and now I feel that I have missed the opportunity to have it done this year, as I am not wanting to have any time off work for the surgery.

Also, to make further complications, My partner is pregnant and our first baby is due on the 29th November (we are delighted :) ) I cant help to feel guilty if I did go through with surgery, in case anything went wrong, ect. I need to be there for them both. I hope I am clear because I feel like I'm rambling on!!

In an ideal situation, I would have surgery in August, go back to work in September and look forward to being a slimmer dad! - I don't want to be a morbidly obese father!!! :(

My partner says she will support me regardless........What shall I do, any advice would be greatly received, I need all the help and views as I can get.

Thank you & best wishes everyone!!

John :)

I say go for it! From my consultation to op was 3 weeks. Then only needed 6 days off work...still very achievable. Congrats on becoming a daddy :)

Hi there, I feel your dilemma, I think you should go for it. Many providers will have dates for the first weeks of the summer hols giving you enough time to have your op, recover and be able to get back to work by September. As surgeries go, banding is one of the least risky and remember having an elective surgery with a team of people used to giving a General aneasthetic to heavy people has to be better than any other surgery.

I think go for it, you will always have the dilemma of timing, but why not invest in yourself, get healthy and be around to watch your little ones grow up.

BTW, I used The Hospital Group and Mr Super and couldnt be more pleased with the experience.

I say go for it to! I thought about WL surgery for a long time and booked/cancelled consultations. In the end of though it was four weeks from consultation to operation which flew past.

Recovering from a band is pretty quick (I was back to work after a week off) so the holidays will give you a chance to heal and then get ready for the arrival of your baby

Good luck whatever you decide!

Nx

Firstly, many thanks for the kind comments and encouragement. I value all your comments so much. I am so glad I decided to join the site and posted my first thread.

I need to be positive and stop being so negative, because all I'm thinking at the moment is, what if I dont wake up after the anesthetic! (Pathetic, I know!!) and thought of me not being around to see the birth of my first child, ect.

On the other hand, I want this so much and I feel this would the an ideal opportunity to get healthly and have a new start, new life and a new family.

I have gained and lost 5 stones on 3 occasions, since 2005 and feel like I really need some help and intervention, the gastric band could provide me with that. I just need to find the nerve to go through with the actual surgery!!

Thanks again people, you are all a real inspiration!

Welcome John, You have time to do it this summer. The band is the least intrusive surgery and you should be ready for work within a week or two of surgery. If you have done your research and decided that this is what you want, just pick up the phone now and make an appointment.Do it.

Hi John.

You aren't rambling on, and even if you were, its a great place to do it!

I've had my band for 10 months now, having it done in last years summer holidays so I was also off with my son. I didn't have my consultation until the July, My surgery could have been within 2 weeks although I delayed it until Aug 23rd cos it fitted in with office holidays for everyone else. So date wise, its certainly an option - although I went with healthier Weight who have been fab!

Why have you cancelled? is it because you have doubts? it took me 7 years to finally go ahead with booking mine, a lot of it due to personal fear of anaesthesia and the fear I had of not waking up after the surgery, leaving my son on his own as I'm a single parent.

However, if I hadn't of had the surgery, I was heading that way anyway, but now, I've lost over 9 stone, I can do all the things that I want to with him, and its been the best thing. Being a slimmer mum, was something I wanted to do for him, I didn't want to be the fattest parent at parents evening, I didn't want him bullied because I was the fattest person there. And I was super morbidly obese, weighing in at 24 stones when I had my surgery.

I wish I hadn't waited 7 years! There was a lot of guilt feelings about my doing this for "me" and what if something went wrong. I found a provider who had a zero % mortality rate in surgery and in the surgeon to help me with those feelings (another reason why I went with Healthier Weight)

It is a big step and one I do think we have to be ready for, but those fears are normal and natural. Yes there are always those chances that something may go wrong, but sometimes its a chance that we do have to take to be able to live how we wish for both us and our families.

Nobody can tell you what to do, but I know if I had my time again, I'd not be waiting the 7 years to change my life in the best way ever.

But it also took me 7 years because I believe we have to be 100% sure it is the right thing and to be in the right mindframe to do it .. .I was, and am and on the way to target although I've got a while to go yet. :)

Hi everyone, Hope you are all well!?

I am wanting a gastric band fitted with Mr Roger Ackroyd (Private patient) I am a school teacher and was hoping to have the band fitted during the 6 week summer holidays, as I felt this would be an ideal time with been off work and I dont want to have to tell any colleagues about my surgery. However, I have twice cancelled my consultation with Mr Ackroyd (bottled it!!) and now I feel that I have missed the opportunity to have it done this year, as I am not wanting to have any time off work for the surgery.

Also, to make further complications, My partner is pregnant and our first baby is due on the 29th November (we are delighted :) ) I cant help to feel guilty if I did go through with surgery, in case anything went wrong, ect. I need to be there for them both. I hope I am clear because I feel like I'm rambling on!!

In an ideal situation, I would have surgery in August, go back to work in September and look forward to being a slimmer dad! - I don't want to be a morbidly obese father!!! :(

My partner says she will support me regardless........What shall I do, any advice would be greatly received, I need all the help and views as I can get.

Thank you & best wishes everyone!!

Hi John

Roger Ackroyd banded me 5 weeks ago at Claremont in Sheffield - I would definitely go and see him - he is really honest, straightforward, will tell you what you need to know - and some things you don't! His team are amazing - I was in and out of surgery within 40 mins, overnight stay and home by 10am the following morning, recovery was less than 2 weeks.

I had my first fill last week, and although I am only at the beginning of my journey, I already feel it is the best thing I could have done for myself.

If you want to know anything else - just ask any questions you want and I will be as honest as I can!

Justine x

Once again, thank you so much, for your help and information!

@ top kat - I had a consultation in May and early June and I cancelled them both.

The reason for this was because I simply bottled it! I was trying to use the excuse that because my partner was pregnant, that I would put the surgery back and have in 2014. If I am being totally honest with myself, I was getting too nervous.

Because I have lost a large amount of weight several times before, I keep telling myself that I can do it again, without the need of surgery. In my honest opinion I feel that I need and want surgery and I have done thorough research into this.

You have done brilliantly - You should be so proud of yourself!! What an achievment you have made!! I hope in 6 months time I can report back such wonderful results! :) x

@ Purple Sparkle - Thank you for your post. it great to hear such postitive review from my potential surgeon, Mr Ackroyd. If I do go ahead with the surgery I will, for sure be seeing him and his team at the claremont. I am lucky that its very close to where I live, 12 miles.

So, Purple Sparkle, am I right thinking that you was banded 10 days after your pre op diet?
I thought the pre op diet was for 2-3 weeks?? :)

Once again, thank you so much, for your help and information!

@ top kat - I had a consultation in May and early June and I cancelled them both.

The reason for this was because I simply bottled it! I was trying to use the excuse that because my partner was pregnant, that I would put the surgery back and have in 2014. If I am being totally honest with myself, I was getting too nervous.

Because I have lost a large amount of weight several times before, I keep telling myself that I can do it again, without the need of surgery. In my honest opinion I feel that I need and want surgery and I have done thorough research into this.

You have done brilliantly - You should be so proud of yourself!! What an achievment you have made!! I hope in 6 months time I can report back such wonderful results! :)

@ Purple Sparkle - Thank you for your post. it great to hear such postitive review from my potential surgeon, Mr Ackroyd. If I do go ahead with the surgery I will, for sure be seeing him and his team at the claremont. I am lucky that its very close to where I live, 12 miles.

So, Purple Sparkle, am I right thinking that you was banded 10 days after your pre op diet? I thought the pre op diet was for 2-3 weeks?

John :jelous:

Thanks for the comments top kat and purple sparkle :)

Top kat - The main reason I cancelled is purely the fact that I bottled it, looking back. I have already had a consultation appointments with Mr Ackroyd in May and June but I thought it may not be the right time, due to the fact that my partner had recently found out she was pregnant and also we were/are looking to move house too. So I thought that too much was happening and basically decided to wait until next year. As you can see, after only 4 weeks I still cannot get WLS out of my head!! (it is all I think about!) lol

You have done excellent and you must be so proud of yourself! keep up you superb efforts!! :) x

Justine, Thanks very much for you reply and it is great to know that you have positive comments about my potential surgeon, I do like the sound of Mr Ackroyd and his team, a very experienced man indeed.

I could probably ask you hundreds of questions but I wont (just yet) :)

How long was your pre-op diet? I thought it was 2-3 weeks? and am I correct in thinking you lost 18lb 0n you pre-diet!?!

Best wishes,

John x

there will always be things happening in life that we can put before our weight loss and surgery. I had lots but looking back the majority of them were simply excuses, whether it was because I wasn't ready or because of a few of failure I don't know, probably a combination of both.

It is a big decision and we have to make sure it is right, but also there comes a time when we have to face our situation. My provider said if I didn't do something about my weight I would end up like my dad - heart attacks, heart disease, angina, diabetes, bowel cancer, heart bypass, arthritis, falling joints and kidney failure and heading to a very early grave.

My son and being a parent has been a huge motivation, and I know I missed out so much on things when my son was growing up because of my weight, time and memories that are lost forever....

If it gets to a point of being all you think about it may seem you have your answer that now is the right time. Speak to your provider, even contact others, going private they can move pretty fast so there's time for it all to work. :)

..I fully understand you and agree with you entirely!

I have recently had two milestones in my life (hitting 30 & discovering I'm going to be a Dad) and they have made me want a band even more! I'm still young (fairly) and I feel / hope that this would be a sound investment into my future health. Even though I'm a big guy, I am still managing my day to day life, job, ect, but I see myself as a ticking time bomb and eventually things will start to crack and break. I just want to avoid all the things you mention above, heat attacks, angina, ect.

Also, at my age I would hope that is less risk regarding the actual surgery and anesthetic. I would hate to hit 40 and have regrets about not having it done.

i was at that stage of hitting 40, had my band fitted 5 weeks before my 40th birthday. And I do have regrets of not having it done before. Missed out on so much mostly in terms of things I could've do e with my son....I managed doing things, but now I'm actually living, and if you can keep in mind the band is up just a tool and most of it comes from us, you're on the right track, at the moment with such limited restriction even 10 months on, my band does about 20% of the work, the rest is down to me....

It's hard work. It's not always easy, but it works.... :)..

Justine, Thanks very much for you reply and it is great to know that you have positive comments about my potential surgeon, I do like the sound of Mr Ackroyd and his team, a very experienced man indeed.

I could probably ask you hundreds of questions but I wont (just yet) :)

How long was your pre-op diet? I thought it was 2-3 weeks? and am I correct in thinking you lost 18lb 0n you pre-diet!?!

Best wishes,

John x

Morning John

The pre-op diet was a 10 day one - milk and yoghurts - I can't deny that it was hard, but it was worth it. The main reason for it is to shrink the liver so when the operation takes place there is more room for Mr Ackroyd to get to your stomach and have a good old rummage around! The smaller the liver the less he has to rummage and the less internal bruising. The weight loss was an extra benefit and gave me a real boost. I had minimal pain from the actual operation - most of my discomfort came from trapped wind in my shoulder, but this was only for a couple of days. I had been warned about it - and there is loads of helpful advice on this forum.

As top_kat has said, I think we could all make excuses or give reason to put off or delay WLS. There is no denying that it is a huge decision to make and at the end of the day you have to be ready to make the commitment both emotionally and financially.

I viewed the operation as an investment in me, and being from Yorkshire, I like to see a good return on my investments and so far I am very happy with yield! :D

Have a good day

Justine x

Thanks again, I think you are both right. It is a massive commitment and a life changing choice. Obvisouly the cost doesn't help but If i knew I was to loose 50 - 60% of my excess weight (or even more!) Then it would be worth every penny.

I guess its time to call The Claremont Hospital for a consultation!?!

John, I am 65 and have been very overweight since I was in my late 20's. Like most of us here I have tried every diet under the sun,the most successful being Atkins which I first did in the early eighties when it first came out, I lost over 4 stone and was down to almost a normal weight. Within 2 years I had put it all back on plus a bit more. More recently my doctor prescribed Zenical which helped at first but as my body got used to it the weight loss stopped and then I put it all back on again.Next I read about a drug called Accomplia which was not available on the NHS but my doctor agreed to prescribe it privately for me. At last something that worked! My appetite was under control and the weight was coming off, in less than 2 years I lost 5 stones and was still losing. Then the drug was banned as it was found to cause depression.In my case it had the opposite effect and I was very happy with my life. The weight went back on.
At 21 stone at the age of 64 I wasn't fat enough for help from the NHS but my GP supported my decision to be banded privately.I was banded in March and have had one fill since, although I have not got any restriction yet I know I can't allow to fail this time and since starting the pre op diet I have lost 70 lb.
The decision to go ahead is never easy but certainly doesn't get any easier as you get older.I have 4 children and was never able to go on theme park rides with them or run with them. I am very pleased to have my band now but I wish I had done something sooner.

Slaz, thank you ever so much for your comment. I have found it to be helpful and I fully understand your view point. Congratulations regarding your weight loss, I really hope your manage to achieve you goal.

It is genuine and honest people like you who make me believe I am making the right choice and I value your opinions. I am going to be a dad for the first time at the end of November and that is also influening my decision. I wanted a Band before but knowing I am going to be a dad naturally has given me extra responsibilty, I want to healthy dad and be able to enjoy days out, ect. At the moment, even though I'm significantly obese (hate that word!) I do manage to do most things and I am very happy, however I am thinking about my future and I feel if I stay at this dangerous weight, then my health will suffer massively in 10, 15, 20 years, ect. We all know too well the dangers and the health risks out there, associated with obesity (Heart attaks, strokes, diabetes, cancers, and so on!)

I suppose another worry would be, what if the band wasn't effective but I suppose there is only one way I will ever find out!

John, when I was your age I felt I could conquer the world, even in my early fifties, which for you probably seems a long way off but believe me it soon comes round, I was very active and leading a full life. However by my late fifties everything was that bit harder, sore joints,breathlessness, tiredness. Last year whilst on holiday I stepped off a curb and snapped my Achilles tendon, no doubt made worse because of my weight, and was then that I finally decided that the time was Now. This year I will probable have my first hip replacement and next year the other. I will never know if I had lost the weight at your age whether all this could have been avoided. My children are all grown up now, the last one has just finished his degree, I don't think any of them have suffered too much because of my weight but nevertheless I feel guilty that I wasn't always able to be the dad I would have liked to have been, primary school dad's race etc.
As far as being obese is concerned I have always hoped to be fat instead and when I have lost the next 10lbs I will officially be overweight.

Back