• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help & advice **please**...

Hi John

Good luck with your decision and don't forget your under no obligation to go ahead with anything just because you've had a consultation. Go ahead with the consultation and arm yourself with all the info you need to make the decision that's right for you. Mr ackroyd fitted my band 12 years ago and did my bypass last week. I went back to him because I respect his honesty and like his straightforward style. He won't sugar coat anything and will give you all the facts you need. Good luck x

Fayz, Thank you kindly for you information. I value people like you, who have been full circle, when making my decision.

I have spent months, literally doing my own research and hence, I have finally ended up here.

I hope not to sound rude and forgive me if I done, but I was wondering as to why you chose to have a bypass? I'm assuming that the band was not successful for you. The fact you went back to see Mr Ackroyd gives me lots of confidence, you obviously was happy with him and his work he conducted. 12 years ago was a very long time ago for WLS - Was you able to have key hole surgery at that time?

Again, sorry for the question, I don't mean for them to so personal!

Best wishes,

John

Hi John
No problem with the questions. I've had a lot of help and advice from this site and am happy to give a little back. I had the band key hole 12 years ago. Unfortunately it didn't work out for me from the start. I had severe pain from the port and ended up having a couple of follow up surgeries to untwist it and finally remove the port in the hope that the band would stay inflated. It didn't and at the time mr ackroyd offered to do a bypass but it just felt so extreme then. The band didn't work for me but I'm glad I tried it and the worst that happened was that I was left with an uninflated band for 12 years. Bit by bit I put more weight on. I'm now 43 and in the last 3 years I've developed diabetes, high blood pressure and joint pain. I never really believed that my weight would affect my health because until 3 years ago it never did. This year I had some serious thinking to do my diabetes reached an all time high for me, not high in the scale of results but high for me and I know that this is progressive and will get worse. I therefore decided it was time that the risks of the op were becoming less than the risk of not doing anything. Lots of research and decision made. Because mr ackroyd and his team offered such fantastic care the first time round I purposely sought him out and paid to have it done privately at thornbury. A week and half out of surgery and I still have some pain, apparently there were a lot of adhesions caused by the old band so it took some digging out. Already I feel so happy to have done this and am keeping my fingers crossed that the stop of diabetes medication is permanent. Would I still have done things this way round if I could see into the future? Yes definitely, the band can work brilliantly and is a much less obtrusive procedure. It's reversible and quick to heal. The team are great and if you are honest with them about your eating habits they'll let you know exactly what they feel will work best for you. Hope this helps and let me know if you need anymore info.
Fayz

Thanks again, I think you are both right. It is a massive commitment and a life changing choice. Obvisouly the cost doesn't help but If i knew I was to loose 50 - 60% of my excess weight (or even more!) Then it would be worth every penny.

I guess its time to call The Claremont Hospital for a consultation!?!

John :)

Sounds like a plan to me! Let us know how you get on - I am excited for you! :)

Justine x

Hi Fayz,

Well thank you so much for your story and views. I really hope you can now start to achieve your ultimate goal, as you deserve it. I really value your comments and honesty. I was happy that you still have that band first too, I could never imagine myself going through with the bypass, well, at this moment anyway. I have looked into the sleeve but that too seems quite extreme.

The only concern I have is that will I be able to achieve the amount of weight loss I need with the band? I would like to loose 8 - 10 stone, which is a tall order. Most people in a similar situation to me loose about 5-6 stone. Don't get me wrong, I would gladly accept that with open arms but I am significantly obese, with a BMI of about 51. I feel that I would have more success with the sleeve / bypass but I am trying to keep risks to a minimum! Sometimes I feel soooo confused regarding WLS!

I guess I do really need to speak with Mr Ackroyd...

Thanks again for your help, and hope you are pain free soon!

John :) x

Thank you Justine, I promise that I will post any future progress and updates on here straight away.

I am still going through the uncertainty stage (again!!) So frustrating!

Thanks again,

Last edited:
Hi John,

Good luck with making your decision. One thing to consider and ask you potential surgeon is his opinion on the lifespan of the band. I did ask this question of the nurse consultant I saw and was told they didn't know as they have only been fitting for about 12 years in any great numbers. It was implied, most of those from 12 years ago were still in situ. However, I understand this not to be true and many are now being removed. I understand fitting techniques have changed but I also know of numerous people through forums who have bands less than two years that need removing. Frequently, non adherence to band rules are quoted for slippage and I imagine this may be the case for some, but not all.
Please don't let this put you off, just make sure you are fully informed before taking the plunge!!
Having lost 75% of my excess weight in about 14 months, I do not regret having weight loss surgery at all, but in that time I have needed my port refixing as it compltely flipped and then my band disconnected. The initial cost of a band may be less than other weight loss surgeries and it certainly is less invasive and reversable, but make sure you have contingency funds for when the surgical cover ends (6 months to 3 years depending on provider) and don't assume the band is for life.
Hth Jo x

Hi Jo,

Big thanks for your comments and they are very valid points. I will be definitely making a note of them. I do appreciate all advice from honest people that have had the experience of WLS.

I noticed your surgeon was Mr Super, I have done a lot of research about him and he and Mr Ackroyd seem very experienced.

Congtatulations on your amazing achievment, you should be so proud!

Thanks John.

They are both very experienced surgeons. From what I can gather Mr Akroyd has a better bedside manner. Mr Super is blunt to the point of being rude (I knew this pre op). He also has a reputation for being very stubborn which I was not aware of. My port was poorly positioned in the original op and was ridiculously difficult to access. Mr Super refused to reposition in which resulted in a 3 day hospital stay on nhs ward when they couldn't do an emergency defill. He did eventually reposition it but it broke away from the band the first time I ran after it was reposition which I feel was because it was weakened by being flipped for so long. Had he not been so stubborn and sorted soon after the band was fitted, I wouldn't be going for a sleeve now. So only due to his notorious (according to a couple of the fill nurses) stubbornness, I wouldn't recommend him. Happy to say, I have never heard a bad word said about Roger Ackroyd!

Your welcome :)

I understood he was very stubborn but I didn't think he was so rude! - Not good! I know of 2 people (friends) that have had surgery with Mr Ackroyd and his reviews both online and from them are first rate.

So, I think its fair to say I have find the surgeon and he is very local to me (12 miles) which is a bonus! I just need to book a consultation!!

John

Hi,

I am awaiting my bypass surgery with Mr Ackroyd on 24/7/13.

He and his team have been excellent throughout and his reputation is top class.

People are more likely to moan than praise as you know but still he gets plenty of praise so all good in my opinion.

You need to imagine life with a new born baby, both as you are now and as you would be if you lost a large amount of weight!

Because I have a two year old grandson and it breaks my heart to sit in a reclined armchair at 28 stone with him pulling on my arm saying " Grandad, garden ....please!"

Its human nature to feel nervous but everything in life has risks but some, if over come, can lead onto better things!

The biggest comment on here is "I wish I'd done it sooner!"

Good luck!

Mr Super is definitely a "to the point" sort of guy .... But tbh I do quite like that sort of approach :rolleyes:

There is no reason why you cannot lose all your excess weight with a band. I have lost 11 stones which is 117% of my excess weight ... You can do it .. No excuses ... Why not pick up the phone and see if you can get a cancellation appointment ... Seize the opportunity!!

Keep us updated :)

Hi Rubymuzz & Michelle (Flutterby1966)

I would like to wish you all the very best with your surgery on the 24th July. I really hope everything goes smoothly and you achieve lots of weight loss. I will be definitely keeping on eye out on here for your future updates.

Thank you for your comments too. I hope by having the surgery at a 30 (31 in September) I can prevent many of long term effects of obesity.
As I have mentioned before, at the moment I am mostly fine regarding my health, I have recently had 5 blood tests with my GP and they all came back normal, also, my BP is normal too.

Having said all this, I am fully aware that I am dangerously obese and I feel that once one thing begins to fail, it will be like a chain reaction and I don't want a long list of ailments, conditions and medications. My weight is approx 25st and I am only 5ft 11. So I am super obese!

Through the help and advice of genuine people on this site, I feel much happier in terms of my nerves regarding the procedure. My biggest fear of all is thought of not regaining conciseness after the anesthetic! For a Science teacher, I know I am being rather pathetic and silly but I have never had a general anesthetic so I am afraid I may have a reaction to it and never wake up, extreme I know!

If I can overcome this, then I will definitely be going ahead with surgery during this summer! :)

Best wishes once again,

Flutterby1966,

Thank you for advice and motivation, You must be absolutely delighted with your success and the achievements you have made. You are a true inspiration to people like me who are just starting the long and winding road! (again!)

Thanks again and I will keep posting any updates on here

*Update - appointment!*

Hi everyone,

Just to make you all aware, as promised. This morning I plucked up the courage to call the local private hospital - Claremont at Sheffield and I have made an appointment to see Mr Ackroyd for an initial consultation with view to having a gastric band.

My appointment is on 29th July at 2:30pm with the dietitian and at 3pm with Mr Ackroyd - I'm still nervous about WLS but also kinda excited too, such a strange feeling.

I wish it was tomorrow to get it out the way, I cant get it out of my mind!

All the best everyone

John

Well done John
Only a couple of weeks. I used the waiting time to jot down all the questions I had and the ones that family and friends also had so that I didn't forget anything by the time I got to the appointment. Do let us know how you get on.
Fayz

I was thinking about bottling out also right upto to the point where they were putting the needle in my hand to put me to sleep
I'm so glad I never!
I wish u all the best with your surgery my band has certainly changed me and my life for the better xx

Well done John
Only a couple of weeks. I used the waiting time to jot down all the questions I had and the ones that family and friends also had so that I didn't forget anything by the time I got to the appointment. Do let us know how you get on.
Fayz

Thanks very much Fayz. I will definetly keeping you updated :)

Thanks again x

I was thinking about bottling out also right upto to the point where they were putting the needle in my hand to put me to sleep
I'm so glad I never!
I wish u all the best with your surgery my band has certainly changed me and my life for the better xx

Thank you so much Tracy! It is people like you that make my decision easier!

And a HUGE congratulations to you regarding your outstanding weight loss!! *WOW* :jelous:

You have done brilliantly and you must be so proud of your success!!

Silly question Tracy, but did you find the weight loss relatively easier??

Best wishes, John :) x

Back