• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

help, im clueless

leannec

Someone please help me out. I started my pre op diet today (although was told it wasn't really necessary!! I'm doing it anyway) and I really am unsure what I am doing? I know it has to be low fat, low carb and high protein.

My first question is how many grams of carbs should I have per day?

I need some ideas on what to eat too.

Leanne x

What type of wls are you having? This will affect the diet you should be going on.

Also I think you should ask your provider as they are normally the ones to give you this advice. I wonder why they are saying it's not necessary?

Good luck with your surgery.

I'm having a band. They basically said that it wouldn't shrink your liver that much and if ur liver is already 5 times the norm it wouldn't make much difference

There is info of a diet on the BOSPA website but I'm sure there will also be plenty of help from others on here as well.

Hi Leanne,

I have never heard of no pre-op diet before. I am with another funding area, but this is the diet and info I was given:-

Breakfast - small bowl of high fibre cereal (i.e 1 weetabix, bran flakes, porridge and sugar free muesli (3-4 rounded tablespoons) with skimmed/semi skimmed milk OR 1 slice of wholemeal toast with sugar free jam marmalade

Lunch - 1 slice bread or 2 crispbreads (no spread), small portion of lean meat, chicken, or fish (50g) or small portion of cheese (25g) or 2 eggs (not fried). Salad vegetables (no salad dressing containing oil)

Dinner - Small portion of lean meat, chicken or fish (50g) or small portion of low fat cheese, or 2 eggs, or Tofu, Quorn (75g) or beans (50g).
1 small potato (size of a small egg), or 2 tablespoons cooked pasta or rice. Vegetables as much as you like but avoid root vegetables such as carrot, turnip, parsnip and beetroot)

Daily - 1/3 pint skimmed or semi-skimmed milk for drinks and cereal
2 portions of fruit
free water, tea, coffee, low calorie squash
1 low fat, sugar free natural yoghurt or natural fromage fraise (one of the fruit portions can be added - fresh, stewed or tinned in natural juiced or sugar free fruit yoghurt (eg shape) NB this must not have any added suger, glucose, sucrose, or fructose as some low fat yoghurts have.
If preferred you can have an extra 1/3 pint milk instead of yoghurt.

The diet also says-
"you must follow this for two weeks only before your surgery....by following this strict diet your body reduces its glycogen stores (glycogen is a form of sugar stored in the liver and muscles for energy) With each ounce of glycogen the body stores 3-4 ounces of water so when you follow a very strict diet which is low in starch and sugar, your body loses its glycogen store and some water The liver shrinks as it has less glycogen and water in it."

What date are you having your op?

I tried to do the milk and yogurt diet for a week before my band surgery. However...I failed! I got back to it 3 days before surgery and still lost 5 pounds.
When I had my consultation, the nurse said if I couldn't manage the milk and yogurt, just stick to very low fat meals. I had yogurt for breakfast and slimfast for lunch and tea.
Hope that helps. x

Last edited:
I have my op 2 weeks today! It all feels quite daunting too be honest.

So I can have as much non root veg as I like? Even sweetcorn...I thought that was high in carbs

Can I have fat free muller lights?

According to my diet muller lights should be ok if they dont contain any of the banned ingredients "not have any added suger, glucose, sucrose, or fructose " I don't have one in the house to check.

Root veg were all I was told to avoid, so I would assume it's ok to have sweetcorn, personally I would probably not have it when I do my pre-op diet.

On mine protein shakes would not be allowed I don't think.

Remember mine is only one of loads that are around, so maybe a few others will post and you can pick the one you like the sound of best.

Your op will be here before you know it.

Hi I was banded last Thursday and I didn't follow any pre op diet. I did slimfast for four days just to try to lose 4 lb as that was their only requirement. I was with THG.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi Leanne,

I had my band on Wednesday and below is the low fat/low carb diet my provider gave me. I followed this diet for 2 weeks, i lost 11lbs and my surgeon said i had the smallest liver he had ever seen :D

Bread, Cereals, Potato, Pasta or Rice

Aim for 2 portions a day
  • 3 tablespoons breakfast cereal
  • 3 tablespoons dry porridge oats
  • 1 slice of toast / bread
  • 1/2 bread bun / roll
  • 1/2 pitta bread or 1 mini pitta
  • 3 crackers
  • 2 small egg sized boiled potato
  • 1/2 medium baked potato
  • 2 tablespoons boiled rice
  • 3 tablespoons cooked pasta
  • 4oz boiled noodles
  • 1 plain biscuit
  • 1 oatcake triangle
  • 1 weetabix
Fruit & Vegetables

Aim for 5 portions a day
  • 1 apple / orange / small banana
  • 2 small fruit plums / kiwis/ tangerines
  • 1 small glass of unsweetened fruit juice (limit to 1 glass a day)
  • 2 tablespoons fruit (stewed or tinned in natural juice)
  • 1 small bowl of salad
  • 1 large slice of melon / pineapple
  • 1 tablespoon of dried fruit
  • 2-3 tablespoons vegetables
  • 3 dried apricots / prunes / figs
Milk & Dairy

Aim for 3 portions a day
  • 1/3 pint (200mls) semi skimmed milk
  • small pot of low fat yoghurt / fromage frais
  • 1oz cheese
  • 4oz cottage cheese
  • 2oz low fat soft cheese
Meat, Fish and Alternatives

Aim for 3 portions a day
  • 2-3oz lean beef / pork / lamb / mince / chicken / turkey / oily fish
  • 5oz white fish / tuna in brine
  • 2 eggs
  • 2-3 slices lean bacon
  • 5 tablespoons baked beans
  • 4 tablespoons cooked pulses / lentils / dahl / other beans
  • 2 tablespoons nuts
  • 1 tablespoon peanut butter
  • 3 thin slices lean cooked meat
  • 2 grilled sausages
  • 4oz soya / tofu / quorn
Fatty & Sugary Foods

1 portion a day
  • 1oz low fat spread / low fat mayo
  • 1/2 oz butter / margarine / oil
I would drink NAS squash/tea/coffee and have sweetners instead of sugar.

If hungry between meals could have snacks like
  • Low calorie or slimmer soup
  • bowl of sugar free jelly
  • pickled onions / gherkins / beetroot
Hope this helps xxx

ldavidson84 said:
Hi Leanne,

I had my band on Wednesday and below is the low fat/low carb diet my provider gave me. I followed this diet for 2 weeks, i lost 11lbs and my surgeon said i had the smallest liver he had ever seen :D

Aim for 2 portions a day

[*]3 tablespoons breakfast cereal
[*]3 tablespoons dry porridge oats
[*]1 slice of toast / bread
[*]1/2 bread bun / roll
[*]1/2 pitta bread or 1 mini pitta
[*]3 crackers
[*]2 small egg sized boiled potato
[*]1/2 medium baked potato
[*]2 tablespoons boiled rice
[*]3 tablespoons cooked pasta
[*]4oz boiled noodles
[*]1 plain biscuit
[*]1 oatcake triangle
[*]1 weetabix
Fruit & Vegetables

Aim for 5 portions a day

[*]1 apple / orange / small banana
[*]2 small fruit plums / kiwis/ tangerines
[*]1 small glass of unsweetened fruit juice (limit to 1 glass a day)
[*]2 tablespoons fruit (stewed or tinned in natural juice)
[*]1 small bowl of salad
[*]1 large slice of melon / pineapple
[*]1 tablespoon of dried fruit
[*]2-3 tablespoons vegetables
[*]3 dried apricots / prunes / figs
Milk & Dairy

Aim for 3 portions a day

[*]1/3 pint (200mls) semi skimmed milk
[*]small pot of low fat yoghurt / fromage frais
[*]1oz cheese
[*]4oz cottage cheese
[*]2oz low fat soft cheese

Aim for 3 portions a day

[*]2-3oz lean beef / pork / lamb / mince / chicken / turkey / oily fish
[*]5oz white fish / tuna in brine
[*]2 eggs
[*]2-3 slices lean bacon
[*]5 tablespoons baked beans
[*]4 tablespoons cooked pulses / lentils / dahl / other beans
[*]2 tablespoons nuts
[*]1 tablespoon peanut butter
[*]3 thin slices lean cooked meat
[*]2 grilled sausages
[*]4oz soya / tofu / quorn
Fatty & Sugary Foods

1 portion a day

[*]1oz low fat spread / low fat mayo
[*]1/2 oz butter / margarine / oil

[*]Low calorie or slimmer soup
[*]bowl of sugar free jelly
[*]pickled onions / gherkins / beetroot
Hope this helps xxx

How did it all go? Hopefully I have got mine on 11th April. Bet you will feel better running around after the kids lol. Are you still tender, are you finding it easy or hard? Sorry all the questions x

ldavidson84 said:
Hi Leanne,

Aim for 2 portions a day

[*]3 tablespoons breakfast cereal
[*]3 tablespoons dry porridge oats
[*]1 slice of toast / bread
[*]1/2 bread bun / roll
[*]1/2 pitta bread or 1 mini pitta
[*]3 crackers
[*]2 small egg sized boiled potato
[*]1/2 medium baked potato
[*]2 tablespoons boiled rice
[*]3 tablespoons cooked pasta
[*]4oz boiled noodles
[*]1 plain biscuit
[*]1 oatcake triangle
[*]1 weetabix
Fruit & Vegetables

Aim for 5 portions a day

[*]1 apple / orange / small banana
[*]2 small fruit plums / kiwis/ tangerines
[*]1 small glass of unsweetened fruit juice (limit to 1 glass a day)
[*]2 tablespoons fruit (stewed or tinned in natural juice)
[*]1 small bowl of salad
[*]1 large slice of melon / pineapple
[*]1 tablespoon of dried fruit
[*]2-3 tablespoons vegetables
[*]3 dried apricots / prunes / figs
Milk & Dairy

Aim for 3 portions a day

[*]1/3 pint (200mls) semi skimmed milk
[*]small pot of low fat yoghurt / fromage frais
[*]1oz cheese
[*]4oz cottage cheese
[*]2oz low fat soft cheese

Aim for 3 portions a day

[*]2-3oz lean beef / pork / lamb / mince / chicken / turkey / oily fish
[*]5oz white fish / tuna in brine
[*]2 eggs
[*]2-3 slices lean bacon
[*]5 tablespoons baked beans
[*]4 tablespoons cooked pulses / lentils / dahl / other beans
[*]2 tablespoons nuts
[*]1 tablespoon peanut butter
[*]3 thin slices lean cooked meat
[*]2 grilled sausages
[*]4oz soya / tofu / quorn
Fatty & Sugary Foods

1 portion a day

[*]1oz low fat spread / low fat mayo
[*]1/2 oz butter / margarine / oil

[*]Low calorie or slimmer soup
[*]bowl of sugar free jelly
[*]pickled onions / gherkins / beetroot
Hope this helps xxx

At last one that lays it on the line and is easy to follow. Thanks hun xx how u feeling post op? I've got a baby too and I'm worried about struggling with him after

How did it all go? Hopefully I have got mine on 11th April. Bet you will feel better running around after the kids lol. Are you still tender, are you finding it easy or hard? Sorry all the questions x

Hi Mandy,

It all went really well!!! I havent been in much pain at all to be honest, the worst is the wind pain. I had 2 uncomfortable nights with being tender/sore but i feel myself getting better and better each day. The wounds can be a little unconfortable when moving at times but no pain from them. Im finding it easier than i thought i would :D

I only once thought 'what have i done to myself and that was when i couldnt sleep on 2nd night but other than that one occasion no regrets :)

Im now on puree stage which is ok but i just cant wait to eat something not pureed.

Boys are being brilliant and havent jumped on me or touched my belly, they been angels...bless them. They just always want to see mummys hurt...lol!!!

I am so pleased with what my surgeon has done, the cuts are neat and most very small and i dont have any bruising either. I go for my clips/staples removed on Friday which im sure will make me faint as the thought off it is just going right through me :eek:

Good Luck for 11th April hun and please ask me anything xxx

At last one that lays it on the line and is easy to follow. Thanks hun xx how u feeling post op? I've got a baby too and I'm worried about struggling with him after

My hubby is off work at the moment and he has done everything for the kids and me, which has helped loads.
I havent yet picked my lil ones up as dont want to hurt / strain / or injure anything.

I feel really good at the moment tho, alot better than i thought i would.

Good Luck xxx

Hi Mandy,

It all went really well!!! I havent been in much pain at all to be honest, the worst is the wind pain. I had 2 uncomfortable nights with being tender/sore but i feel myself getting better and better each day. The wounds can be a little unconfortable when moving at times but no pain from them. Im finding it easier than i thought i would :D

I only once thought 'what have i done to myself and that was when i couldnt sleep on 2nd night but other than that one occasion no regrets :)

Im now on puree stage which is ok but i just cant wait to eat something not pureed.

Boys are being brilliant and havent jumped on me or touched my belly, they been angels...bless them. They just always want to see mummys hurt...lol!!!

I am so pleased with what my surgeon has done, the cuts are neat and most very small and i dont have any bruising either. I go for my clips/staples removed on Friday which im sure will make me faint as the thought off it is just going right through me :eek:

Well done, sounds like you are on track . . . please keep me up to date xx

ldavidson84 said:
Hi Mandy,

Really pleased to hear all went well, just watch the weight fall off now lol
Roll on the summer hopefully we will be running around with our little monkeys without being out of breath xx

Back