• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help on being considered for a gastric band?

On a mission

Hi :wave_cry:

I was diagnosed with hypertention last year and have a BMI of 40.

I have been on and off every diet going since I was 14. I am only 22 and dont want to wait until I am 40 so can prove to the doctors that I am a worthy candidate.:confused:

In the long run without dramatic weight loss my health will deteriarate and as I am already on tablets for the rest of my life do not want to add other problems such as diebetes to it.

I wonder if there is anyone that can advise me on how to be considered as a worthy candidate and not just someone that is looking for a quick fix method.

I havnt even been to an initial consultation yet as im worried that they are just going to give me a straight no and not even put my name forward.

Any advise from people that have successfully received funding from the NHS would be a great help.

Thanks for having me its nice to be here!:)

hi and welcome to minis !!!
have you tryed every other method of loosing weight as a gp can only refer if you have tried everything else including there presciption weight loss pills.
if so then you shouldnt have a problem with a gp referal.

liz x

Hi and welcome to minis, it depends on your local PCT's criteria mine in central lancs stated BMI of 35 or over with co morbidities ie high bp etc. Each one has different criteria so that should be your first port of call to check what they required..good luck..xx

Welcome to Minis. With a BMI of 40 you will be considered as borderline and may have a fight on your hands. My BMI was 41+ when I went to see my GP and I was on anti-depressants too but he told me there was no way I would get surgery out of our PCT so I ended up going private. Take a long list of reasons why you want the surgery to your GP and be prepared to argue your case - appeal if need be or seek a second opinion but if it means that much to you, be persistent. Good luck xx

Thank you all for your kind and supportive words. It sometimes feels that there is no one to talk to and im glad that now I finally have somewhere to express my feelings without ebing judged.

Liz2008 - I have not tried the weight loss pills yet, I didnt think such things were prescribed by GP, just merely an internet 'magic pill' idea until the nurse who did my blood pressure and blood tests over the weekend, to ensure that my hypertnesion tablets are working, mentioned it. She also said that with it comes a lot of will power. Any foods too fatty eaten with the pills will apparently cause an extreem case of diarrhea, but if you want to eat the cheese pizza all you have to do is not take the table. Im the first to admit that I may cheat in such a way but am worried that if I tell my GP this they will see me as not worthy as I am not willing to try, when I am! I really am but sometimes get sucked in by temptation.

Charliegirl - Definatly a good place to start becuase as of yet I have only been able to find the NHS broad criteria that does state every area will be different but then makes no reference to where you could find such information.

Shelbell - Many thanks for your link. It was very very helpful and I am going to check out the other links that were posted with the information.

Alliecat - Thank you for the advice, I realised I would have a fight on my hands but taking a list of reasons would be a good idea so that I have answers when they ask me the questions. The only question that I cant really answer is why the other diets have not worked for me and I am sure that this will crop up. I really wish I could afford to have it done privatly but I have just graduated from University and already have my student debt, dont think I could afford the installments of a bank loan aswell and would never have that kind of money to spare. Its about £7,000 isnt it?

Again thank you all and any more advice or experience is welcome. After I have devised the list I will be booking an appointment with my GP. My mum has an underactive thyroid gland and I have to be tested every year even though, only just, I am still regarded in the normal category. When she asked our GP (we use same doctors) about the weight loss pill many years ago he just turned round and told my mum to starve herself as there arnt fat people in third world countries. This put my mum of seeking help from the GP and am worried thats the response I am going to get.

What a horrid GP! Is there an option to see a different one, as it doesn't sound like he will be terribly supportive.

Hi there I thought that I would be refused at the first consultation as my gps surgey wasn't v helpful to start with, however if you do all your research and go in fully aware of all procedures, pros and cons and what you feel will work for you I think thats half the battle, if your gp doesn't understand the wls process you may need to take in copies of all your research and whats available and take them with you to your appointment, that includes the NICE guidleines aswell as your local PCT criteria, I was told this by one of the partners at my gp's until I found a more understanding partner. Hope this helps.

Trying to fight this on the NHS will be a long and emotional ride.. you do sound quite prepared for it though, i agree with what you said about the slimming pills as that was my exact response when i was prescribed them, the only thing i would say to you is that the band is hard work and you have to put in 100% for it to work, i hope your G.P is more understanding as mine was fab, i ended up paying privately as NHS kept moving goalposts and contradicting things that were said, but i must admit my G.P is fab, even though i have gone private he calls me at home to see how im doing. If you dont get any joy from this one try antoher, and try again. The only thing they could say is that you have not tried all possible methods so they may ask you to try pills, but, give it a go, just while you wait to heat from pct it will prepare you for what you have ahead with the band and hopefully show your dedication.
Hope this has helped, good luck and keep us posted
xxx

Hi all

Shelbell - Thanks, think if I dont have any joy with our GP surgery (as there are many doctors there, and she cant remember which one it was) I will seek a second opinion.

Tesmaralda - Many thanks for your advice, come to think of it if I went in with a folder and all print outs of my research it will show my commitment and drive to make this work. Hopefully it will also show that I am mature enough to undergo the surgery at a young afe (even though the criteria is 18). I still think they will tell me that I have not had enough life experience to know that all other diets have failed.

Donzi84 - Hi, thanks for your advice. I do agree that if they want me to try the diet pills first I will give them a go and give it my best shot as if I can lose the weight without surgery that would be great!

Will let you all know when I have had my appointment with the GP, going to get my revision done before I book it to go in ready for anything.

xxx

good on you, definately keep us posted you probably know more than your G.P already unless its something they are interested in but just stay strong while your in the process, good luck

Hi OAM, not clued up about funding for your op as I went private but just wanted to say good luck in whatever step u decide to take next and I`ll look forward in reading in on your progress xxx

Back