• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help! Post op diet day one

Lisav

I have just had a message from my mum letting me know that my dad - who was going to be picking me up today and taking me home to look after has been up all night with sickness, diarrhoea and a raging temperature. Obviously he can't get me now so I am arranging for my auntie to get me and take me to hers till my partner is home this evening. However stupidly all my post op diet information and food is at my house 10 miles away!

Can you give me tips and advice on what I can have today? I know my providers advice is free fluids, but it is purely liquid with no bits. I'm guessing watered down yoghurt and sieved soup would be ok? Any advice gratefully received! Thanks!

Sieved soup, milky coffees galore, fruit smoother etc x

I was told anything that can go through a sieve. So put everything through a sieve for the first 10 days.

hiya im 5 days post op and ive been having oxo cubes,bovril,cuppa soups,milkshakes(low fat),actimel,hot choc,tea,coffe etc i got told that anything i can suck through a straw i can have xx

No one here at the hospital know what they are talking about! They've told me I'm not allowed milk in my coffee, then I said can I have something to eat and a nurse came back and said I'm only allowed water for 24 hours. Now she's gone off to ask my doctor what I can have. Since Monday night I have had water and some clear soup, that's it! No hot drinks or anything!

u NEED to have milk for protein,get them told as u need all the nutrients u can get for your body to help heal xx

I had clear fluid after my op then the next morning I had milkshakes and tea etc all with milk ? You will need some protein I'd get on there case and make sure they sort this out as its not very fair on you xxxx

I'm home now and I've spoken to my dietician and I was right! I knew I was! So I'm gonna have some soup later and maybe some watered down yogurt and I've had some milky coffee. Here are my wounds

Attachments

• image-3448427375.jpg
    image-3448427375.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 46
Just the four? Lol when I work out how to add a pic I'll put mine on! Lol
How is the pain today? I was shocked how little the staff knew on the ward, although they weren't as stupid as to think I couldn't have milk! They were trying to give me ibuprofen and codeine on top of my already high dose of NSAIDs though.

Really sorry to hear about your dad, beat avoided though! Sure your partner will be home to make you feel better ASAP.

Oh and I have been surviving on soup, milk, milky coffee, sugar free jelly, sf instant whip, nas juice. See what your tummy is happy with,

I found the whip and me didn't get on :( It was too heavy. but loved my custard lol

Hi Lisa,

How did you get on and how was the OP? I was thinking about you yesterday and was meaning to come online!

Sounds like the nurses are a bit of a div and dont know what they are talking about! I am glad you have got sorted now - are you allowed to have slimfast shakes after as I seem to have plenty of those left!

Enojy your milky coffee and get sipping the water! your wound slook very neat with the dressing on by the way!

Nxxx

Well all I've had today is two milky coffees and lots of water. Gonna have some soup in a bit but only because I feel I should! I have no hunger/appetite at all! Loving this! I'll also have a watered down yoghurt later or maybe an actimel :)

ooooh yum watered down yogurt - I'm worried about when I come out as I hate soup other than heinz tomato which isnt really ideal!

Natstar said:
ooooh yum watered down yogurt - I'm worried about when I come out as I hate soup other than heinz tomato which isnt really ideal!

No I've heard it's high in sugar isn't it? My dietician actually told me to get "cream of" soups as I won't be able to eat much and need to get the calories in for the first few days. I got some, but I also have weight watchers and cup a soups

Bec found some Campbell's soups in a carton, half of one of them is perfect for me. Tastes definitely change, I hated chicken soup but this one is great and really good protein level too.

Glad all went well and that your home safe and sound ready to commence your new way of life x

I made my own soups, but a friend bought me a pressie of a variety of soups, most being covent garden ones or tesco finest.....which are both lush..... So perhaps look at whats in the soups before you So perhaps look at whats in the soups before you So perhaps look at whats in the soups before you buy them?

Also things like mashed banana and custard is a nice treat, in a small bowl....I done that a few times a week in the first few weeks.....(I actually got given it in hospital after my op)

My post op diet is slightly different to yours blue, I'm on completely smooth fluids for two weeks - no bits at all, so thicker soups and mashed banana is out till week 3. I've had a frube and a milky coffee so far today, but that's only so I can take my pain relief as I have to eat to take some of them! I'm not hungry so I'm making the most of it! I know this feeling won't last. I'm a bit uncomfortable at the moment hence the pain relief but it's nothing unbearable and is only on the port side - I think! That is to the left of me when im looking down, is that right?

Back