• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help! Protein

Haylz6

Help am so confussed, how much protein am I meant to be having, as am on liquid and can't out anywhere how much, my heads just like mush

Please help xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

This is a really good question-sorry I don't know the answer but I'd like to.
I 'm on pre-op and using myfitnesspal to keep on track and I've noticed that Bovril has a surprising amount of protein in it. And milk of course. I've read some people add marvel to milk. Sounds wierd but I think that's for the protein. Oh-and they have protein powder which sounds very complicated to get the right one.
I know my hospital prescibe fortimel which is a protein drink.
Oh-I've surprised myself-may be I do know the answer after all lol!
Hope you feel better soon

Is it not over 60 grams. Whilst on liquids i'm only managing about 30!!I'm also very new to the process

I think it is between 70g and 80g (not 100% sure), but you wont reach that this soon. Just get in what you can. These early stages are about healing and you can build up on all your nutrients as you progress through the food stages. I'm sure someone with more experience will be along to correct me if I am wrong. x

I was recommended to consume between 60-80g of protein per day. However that is the long term aim, in the beginning it is near impossible to achieve. My nutritionist told me not to be concerned, just increase as your body allows.

Julie

Thank you everyone it's much clear now, am using myfitnesspal from 2moz to keep a track xx

Fitness pal is good but it got me worried as I was getting so little in. You can adjust your goals but will still fall short. Its interesting to keep an eye on things but dont get disheartened when you see your figures x

I was recommended to consume between 60-80g of protein per day. However that is the long term aim, in the beginning it is near impossible to achieve. My nutritionist told me not to be concerned, just increase as your body allows.

Julie

I was told the same apart from 70g - 90g ideally! But I am struggling to get anywhere close!

It's odd to think that pre op I used to consume food to excess without thinking and now I have to really concentrate to get enough in!

Julie

It's just so weird I find, I never looked at protein and fats or sugar I just used to shovel it in, sometimes look at cals but didn't do anything with it. I can't wait tile I can have scrambled egg, fish n veg (not together) I think it will be easier then xx

If you can tolerate it the best source of protein while on the liquid stage is good old skimmed milk. One pint of milk will give you 18g of protein, that's almost 25% of the 80g you should aim to get in.

I drank two pints of milk over the course of the day cold from the fridge and in milky coffees etc. Some struggle with milk post op so try a little at a time, but it really is your friend right throughout your post op journey

Im with Karl Moo juice is best at that stage if you can tolerate it!

Ooooh to the fridge for milk it is today, I'm just finding it hard to get "food" in at the mo, I keep forgetting I have to have things which I know is so bad.

So today am going to plan, so I know at a certain time I have to have something

Thank you for the advice xx

I like so many others struggle to remember to eat let alone manage the requisite 80g protein and I'm 2 weeks post-op eating with the exception of milk is fine just finding enough foods etc high enough in protein to meet at least some of the levels. So like us all it is a work in progress. We will all get there in our own time.

Back